Gibson Brands Forums

Cheap Copies of Gibson guitars being sold on internet

Sparkguinn

Hi,

I was wanting to know if anyone had saw the cheap knock offs of Gibson guitars that (edit) is selling on the internet. I saw an add that (edit) had put on youtube displaying a Gibson electric a short while ago. They even go as far to put the Gibson name on the guitars. I can't believe that (edit) have the nerve to sell this on youtube. It isn't only Gibson either, but all name brand guitars, as well as shoes, clothing, etc. It's just not right.

sparkguinn

Hi' date='

I was wanting to know if anyone had saw the cheap knock offs of Gibson guitars that [i'](edit) [/i]is selling on the internet. I saw an add that (edit) had put on youtube displaying a Gibson electric a short while ago. They even go as far to put the Gibson name on the guitars. I can't believe that (edit) have the nerve to sell this on youtube. It isn't only Gibson either, but all name brand guitars, as well as shoes, clothing, etc. It's just not right.

sparkguinn

OH MY !

Hi and thanks for the welcome,

I just saw the ad today for the first time. It was a SG for $350, and I thought, that can't be right. So I checked it out and found out that they have a copy of Gibson's complete line. I think that I saw a Hummingbird for $250. I knew that it had to be some bad stuff, so I checked the seller out and sure enough a lot of bad things said about unplayable guitars of wrong colors, and really bad craftmanship. I just wonder how long it will be before a beginner gets stuck paying good money for these knock offs at the flea market thinking that they are buying the real thing. That's the reason that I joined today, just to make sure to try and get the word out if it wasn't already known about.

sparkguinn

By the way, it's a seller on youtube, not youtube itself. I just want to make that clear.

To be honest with you, All I buy now is Copies....Jazz Basses that is.

I found a person on Ebay that makes custom Jazz Basses. You might have seen him before "Certain Bass" is his trademark. For 1,400 He can make a Jazz or P bass to the specs of a 60's Bass.

Some copies are good, you just have to be careful with the quality of the copy you buy. But most of them are crap.

Yeah, I know that copies have been out for a while. Some of the name brands today were once copies, but they never put the OEM's name on their product. I know that a lot of people can't afford a good name brand guitar. I have one myself that I have had for 35 years, and I still play it , but at least I knew it was a copy back when I bought it. On the internet they actually tell you that the guitars are copies, but I could see an unscrupulous person buying some, then going out to a flea market and selling them like they are the real thing. Then Gibson, or other OEM's get the bad rap for the poor quality. A while back, someone was busted for selling Chinese copies of [D] circuit breakers. Again, they put the OEM's name on the product. I know that in the past Levi and PC's had their share of problems as well, but most of the musicians I know are poor, so I just thought I would try and find a way to put this out there.

Thanks for everyone's input, and if you know someone getting ready to buy a name brand guitar, at an exceptional price, tell them to double check it.

sparkguinn

On the internet they actually tell you that the guitars are copies

Well that was a MAJOR problem on Ebay at one time bro, They were saying they WERE originals which we all know was bullsh1t. Some people did not!Thankfully Ebay as a business did somthing right for a change and banned the chinese gits for trying to kill a good import market.

Archived