Gibson Brands Forums

Strat routing

Silenced Fred

A Strat that needs routing for 3 single coils?

Exactly what kind of body are we talking about here?

Not a Fender, I presume....

For starters, I say buy the Strat S-S-S pickguard you want from either Fender or Warmoth.

Use it as a template to cut out whatever wood is needed to make it work for you.

Avoid the other fly-by-night pickguard companies unless you KNOW they are accurately cut and drilled.

Seen lotsa cheapies that didn't align with the proper Fender holes....

A Strat that needs routing for 3 single coils?

Exactly what kind of body are we talking about here?

Not a Fender' date=' I presume....

For starters, I say buy the Strat S-S-S pickguard you want from either Fender or Warmoth.

USe it as a template to cut out whatever wood is needed to make it work for you.

Avoid the other fly-by-night pickguard companies unless you KNOW they are accurately cut and drilled.

Seen lotsa cheapies that didn't align with the proper Fender holes....[/quote']

It is a Fender body, I believe it is called the "Contemporary Strat" from the late 80s or something like that, it only has one humbucker and a volume knob, bought it for 47 dollars with a hardshell case, but I want single coils on it, and I was just wondering how to route it, I think I will just do the big cut out and not worry about anything

EVH set up (I think) means 1 humbucker in the bridge position and nothing more :D

yeah that's what it is, and i want to put in 3 single coils

another question: I was looking at pre wired pickguards, what one should i go with? fender, aftermarket, what?

Thanks

Eh..., Fender dealers can get 'em.

Maybe online you can get a good price on a new one, be careful.

Still, it's a great deal with everything ready to plug in and play.

Pickups?

Hell, whatever they're putting in the American Standards is a good start.

Not Fender, I am not sure if they have something good out there but a lot of their pickups are dull or anemic.

Depending on you budget, I would go with GuitarFetish.com pickups or something like Vintage Vibe pickups, either the normal single coils or the P90-like singles with adjustable polepieces.

http://store.guitarfetish.com/wipi.html

http://www.vintagevibeguitars.com/windows/sc_90Win.html

Not Fender' date=' I am not sure if they have something good out there but a lot of their pickups are dull or anemic.

Depending on you budget, I would go with GuitarFetish.com pickups or something like Vintage Vibe pickups, either the normal single coils or the P90-like singles with adjustable polepieces.

http://store.guitarfetish.com/wipi.html[/quote']

Do you have any experience with these? They do have great prices, but also that worries me, because I am weary of the quality of the pickups if they come, prewired, for like 70 bucks. I don't doubt you, just asking

Do you have any experience with these? They do have great prices' date=' but also that worries me, because I am weary of the quality of the pickups if they come, prewired, for like 70 bucks. I don't doubt you, just asking[/quote']

I have used Guitar Fetish pickups with good results. I have one of their '62 Tele pups bridge of my Tele and their VEH humbucker in a super strat. I am quite happy with both. I have no experience with their single-coil Strat pickups, but if I were replacing Strat pups today, I would order them from GFS in a heartbeat.

Their brand GFS is great quality, be careful as they have other no-name brands that go for real cheap but they will tell you in their description as they protect the GFS brand.

I have one of their Fat Pat humbuckers and it sounds like a million bucks even on a cheap Squier 51 guitar.

Read their description and see if it sounds like something you like.

Personally I own a 2005 Fender American Stratocaster and if you told me if I could exchange my pickups for a set of GFS I would.

You want to route an 80's Fender that only has one Humbucker to house Three single coils, essentially making it a Standard Strat?

Don't, I can guarantee your fender is worth more the way it is, then after you mod it. Just get a derelict Strat and put some Cobalt Noiseless, Texas Specials, or whatever PU's you like. There are so many after market Strat PU's to choose from. The Cobalt Noiseless are what they put in the newer American Standards.

But I'd sit on that Fender until 80's guitars hit the Collectors Market.

You want to route an 80's Fender that only has one Humbucker to house Three single coils' date=' essentially making it a Standard Strat?

Don't, I can guarantee your fender is worth more the way it is, then after you mod it. Just get a derelict Strat and put some Cobalt Noiseless, Texas Specials, or whatever PU's you like. There are so many after market Strat PU's to choose from. The Cobalt Noiseless are what they put in the newer American Standards.

But I'd sit on that Fender until 80's guitars hit the Collectors Market.[/quote']

No offense, but I have no intentions of ever selling this Strat, just want to make it more to my liking :D

I bought it for 2 bucks (45 for the case, but both had to go lol) and last i looked, on craigslist and the sort, they were going for about 400 bucks

It plays nice, and I just want it to match the sound I want

For 200 bucks total in the thing, I can get almost everything I want out of it

I am not a collector, but rather a player

If I come across a good deal on a different strat, I would probably pick it up, but I don't really like the necks on them, prefer the one on mine, it is like super thin and smooth

Right now I am unsure

The Guitar Center by me has a MIM Strat, natural finish, on clearance for like 300 bucks. I might save up a little more, try to talk them down a little or at least throw something else in with it, and maybe put my neck on that.

Whatcha think?

Archived