Gibson Brands Forums

Mother-of-Pearl vs. Acrylic

heymisterk

So I was reading on the Gibson website that the guitars with block inlays (and probably the dot inlays as well) use acrylic instead of real mother-of-pearl. I had to Google in order to actually understand what the hell MOP was. Is there any real difference between the two, other than being able to say, "Mine is REAL M.O.P...." Do any guitar makers still use real mother-of-pearl?

didn't you know....real mother of pearl accounts for 99% of a guitar's tone! =P~

Right, that's kind of what I'm getting at. I just looked at the Heritage guitar website and it says, "Mother-of-Pearl inlays" on their 150CM models, so I don't know if this is just a cost-cutting move by Gibson, and if so, does it really matter...

Right' date=' that's kind of what I'm getting at. I just looked at the Heritage guitar website and it says, "Mother-of-Pearl inlays" on their 150CM models, so I don't know if this is just a cost-cutting move by Gibson, and if so, does it really matter...

[/quote']

Notice the Pinnocchio emoticon. He's pullin' your G-String.

you are probably right.

i do have a couple Heritage 150CM models and they do have mother of pearl inlays.

can't say i've notice that it makes a huge difference in the sound.

it sure looks nice tho'!

edit after R9: i believe you are correct about the Customs. or at least the Historic reissue Customs anyway.

I would say it is most probably a cost cutting factor and probably only Eric Johnson could hear the difference.

It seems to me that having real MOP or Abolone would raise the value of the instrument - Personally if I had the choice between to completly identical instruments where the only difference was that one had MOP and the other did not I would choose the MOP, but that's just me.

I also wonder about long term effects of the acrylic? Will if fade or turn colors? I think MOP and Abolone have a long test period and they can mellow somewhat over the years - colorwise that is

Unless I'm mistaken' date=' Customs have real MOP inlays. Standards, Classics, etc., have acrylic.[/quote']

Not a Gibson proper, but my Epiphone Elitist Dot does have a real MOP epiphone logo, but I'm not sure about the actual "dots."

not to argue but i just pulled these specs off of the 12th fret website for a Gibson Custom ...but i guess that's the regular version not the R7

Les Paul Custom 490-R neck and 498-T bridge Alnico humbuckers

double bound body w/maple top and mahogany back

gold hardware

22 fret ebony fingerboard w/block mother-of-pearl inlays

available in black, Wine, or Antique White

• 2 months later...

thread resurrection! So, anyone know why they use the acrylic? MOP inlay sets are, for the most part, cheap. The increase in cost would be marginal. There are huge amounts of MOP and Abalone produced as a byproduct from commercial abalone and oyster farming. It's just interesting that they use MOP for the Gibson logo, but not for the actual inlays. It's not a huge deal, but over years acrylic can shrink, and is softer than MOP, so it could wear. then again MOP could crack.

Archived