Gibson Brands Forums

The Dentist

daveinspain

Funny this came up.... went in yesterday for my 5th or 6 visit to FINALLY complete a root canal/crown deal...and last week the only other crown I have ... broke....now I have to go back again and get that crown replaced....UGH.....

This gettin' old ain't for sissys!!

Maybe it's time for me to switch to oatmeal mush.....

Bob

I'm planning to be dead due to reckless abandon by 40...

I used to say the same thing, my favorite statement used to be "hell why leave a pretty corpse" right before I would do something reckless and stupid. But be careful it doesn't always work out and forty is there before you know it. Now my saying is "hire the handicapped were fun to watch".

Now I'm pushing 50 covered in scars, set off every metal detector I try to go through and it takes a half hour to get out of bed. one good thing though I don't have to watch the weathermen anymore I know when rains coming several days before they do

Hi Dave

Maybe a nice pasta will cheer you up!

Suzie's best mate is a Dentist and always makes it painless and is careful. I hated Dentists before her.

Matt

Thanks Matt... but I'm only going to have liquids for now. I was at my guitar lesson today and the stitches on the right side started bleeding for no reason so I had to sit there and swallow it... How gross is that? I might go for the pasta tomorrow though... Good idea.

Thanks to everyone else for the cheery stories of pain and suffering....:) Don't worry I'll get over it.

Well...

Last summer I had all my teeth pulled in two days. All the top one day, all the bottom the next - and I drove 130 miles or so round trip for the second set of "pullings."

I was lucky - no stitches, just ... <grin> a horrid pink drool under new temporary denture plates.

I was awfully lucky that the dentists know me pretty well personally, so I got away with driving myself to the second appointment and getting a minimum of trauma by staying awake and such ("such" meaning flirting with the dental assistants when I could wiggle my jaws a little).

Booze, drugs of various sorts? Not really, although I was finally taking "sick" days for really the first time in my life. Took a lot of whumph outa me.

Best thing? Driving home from the second apt, I couldn't close my mouth because of all the gauze packing, so I was drooling pink. Saw myself in the rear-view and giggled like a little kid the rest of the way home. I'm convinced that helped.

Gotta yet get my permanent dentures. Just temps now while stuff heals. But I look at it this way - I ain't never gonna have to put up with another root canal!

m

I went to the dentist today for surgery...:-k Sucked big time. 1 hour and a half in the chair. I need so cheering up.... Just sayin'

Dave, I understand you completely, have you ever tried a Lagavullin 16 year-old after going to the dentist? Lagavullin is all you need mate!

Lagavullin?

Ain't bad...

But when your taste buds are screwed up by dentistry...

How 'bout Laphroaig instead? A wee bit more body to it.

<grin>

m

I thought I knew it all, but then milod came and...I'm going to seek that Laphroaig definitely! What else could you recommend me...?

Well... you've now got my favorite. Talisker is quite nice; Jura isn't bad. With a cigar the Jura or Dalmore cigar malts ain't bad. I think there's a bit of sherry added somehow or, at least, aged in sherry rather than bourbon barrels. Can't recall right offhand and I'm not at all an "expert." I do like more pronounced taste.

Of course, there's always a lesser favorite that's somewhat less expensive as a variation on the "rusty nail": About 25-35 percent Drambuie and then filled with a decent but inexpensive blended Scotch whiskey. (The Drambuie overpowers better quality whiskey flavor regardless.)

Actually I got my introduction to single malt Scotches in '75 in Rotterdam at the then "Great Plains Wheat" offices when my region of the US did very well selling wheat into Western Europe.

At the time I thought the Speysides I was then introduced to were wonderful... then as time advanced I got into Highland and Islay variations and such. I like a reeeeeeeally peaty taste. Perhaps that's a result of advancing age and debilitated taste buds. <chortle>

The "rusty nail" recipe is pretty nice for what ails you. The only time I've lost count of drinks was when they were mixed 50-50, shot and a half each. Ah, but I was younger and rather more foolish. It was about -25F (-32 C) and my Austin Healey 3000 wouldn't start so, rather inebriated as I was, I pushed the thing along the snow and ice about a dozen city blocks home. <grin>

Ah, to be so young again. I was but 21 at the time. Ever since then I've teased police friends if it might now be illegal to be apprehended with "drunken pushing."

<grin>

m

dem00n - congrats on the good grade on your dentist piece! Funny thing, but good writing is always a good skill to have regardless what you do in your future.

As for that WC Fields short on the dentist...

Yeah. It is absolutely hilarious. Way, way ahead of its time in some ways and Fields is incredibly funny.

m

Well... you've now got my favorite. Talisker is quite nice; Jura isn't bad. With a cigar the Jura or Dalmore cigar malts ain't bad. I think there's a bit of sherry added somehow or' date=' at least, aged in sherry rather than bourbon barrels. Can't recall right offhand and I'm not at all an "expert." I do like more pronounced taste.

Of course, there's always a lesser favorite that's somewhat less expensive as a variation on the "rusty nail": About 25-35 percent Drambuie and then filled with a decent but inexpensive blended Scotch whiskey. (The Drambuie overpowers better quality whiskey flavor regardless.)

Actually I got my introduction to single malt Scotches in '75 in Rotterdam at the then "Great Plains Wheat" offices when my region of the US did very well selling wheat into Western Europe.

At the time I thought the Speysides I was then introduced to were wonderful... then as time advanced I got into Highland and Islay variations and such. I like a reeeeeeeally peaty taste. Perhaps that's a result of advancing age and debilitated taste buds. <chortle>

The "rusty nail" recipe is pretty nice for what ails you. The only time I've lost count of drinks was when they were mixed 50-50, shot and a half each. Ah, but I was younger and rather more foolish. It was about -25F (-32 C) and my Austin Healey 3000 wouldn't start so, rather inebriated as I was, I pushed the thing along the snow and ice about a dozen city blocks home. <grin>

Ah, to be so young again. I was but 21 at the time. Ever since then I've teased police friends if it might now be illegal to be apprehended with "drunken pushing."

<grin>

m

[/quote']

milod, we have that love for a more pronounced taste in common! And Talisker is one of my favourites, but honesty obliges me to say that I've a limited experience with single malts. From the Speysides I tasted Glenlivet and Dalhwinnie, from the northern highlands, Glenmorangie, from the western highlands, Oban, from the south shore, Lagavullin. The rusty nail mix I've never taste, you make me curious!

Archived