Gibson Brands Forums

SG for the blues?

Andre S

Try to be impartial.

I keep hearing, that the SG is a powerhouse guitar for rock etc etc. But now that I am adding on to that style which I already play, I don't need another guitar is described as a powerhouse, as in rock machine kinda thing.

Now that I am playing a more bluesier style, do you think that I should get SG still or a different style of guitar such as an ES model?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not the guitar that determines whether you play the blues: it's your own attitude and chops. To depend on a particular guitar to give you a "blues" sound means that you will end up sounding like every other blues wannabee.

I don't have a guitar that can't play the blues.

I do have several fingers that seem to resist.

Oh yeah, to answer your question: Yes.

It's not the guitar that determines whether you play the blues: it's your own attitude and chops. To depend on a particular guitar to give you a "blues" sound means that you will end up sounding like every other blues wannabee.

I don't have a guitar that can't play the blues.

I do have several fingers that seem to resist.

Oh yeah' date=' to answer your question: Yes.[/quote']

I guess.....SG's do have a particular feature, that makes them completely bad***...

Sorry' date=' that'd the be Telecaster.

IMHO, of course.[/quote']

I agree. I prefer the SG but the Telecaster is the most versatile guitar I can think of.

The SG can't sound like a Tele, and the Tele can't sound like an SG.

The SG is an amazing blues guitar.

Sorry' date=' that'd the be Telecaster.

IMHO, of course.[/quote']

You're 100% correct. Although I feel the Strat is more versatile,there is no more expressive guitar than an old Tele. Listen to Roy Buchanan,Danny Gatton,Albert Lee,Arlen Roth. Not only can't you get those sounds on an SG,you can't play that style on anything but a Tele. It's the only guitar that defines a style of playing. I use my old Tele about 70% of the time;the rest is split between my '73 Strat & my '61 SG. All totally different. But I always come back to spank the plank!

I have owned a Tele and I currently own SG's.

Yes an SG will play the blues perfectly. While a Tele is quite capable. It sounds like a Tele. An SG is a fatter, grittier tone that is perfect for the blues.

Gibson's in general play the blues well. Just ask BB King and Albert King.

I have owned a Tele and I currently own SG's.

Yes an SG will play the blues perfectly. While a Tele is quite capable. It sounds like a Tele. An SG is a fatter' date=' grittier tone that is perfect for the blues.

Gibson's in general play the blues well. Just ask BB King and Albert King.[/quote']

I know they play well, but I was wondering if an Es 335 satin was better for the blues than a SG.

I own a Telecaster Am Std, and an SG Std. I chose these 2 guitars SPECIFICALLY because they are in completely different tonal ranges, an one guitar cannot sound like the other.

Now here is where it is going to drive you nuts:

I use the SG for Rock and Hard Rock, and the Tele for clean, chorused, and mild gain tones. However, when it comes to playing Blues, I use them both... they will yield different tone for blues, but they are both great at it. I simply set the NECK pickup, and the TONE rolled down to ~2-3 or so, and some gain on the amp. This gives a very sweet creamy blues tone on the SG, and a nice similar tone on the Tele.

Net, the SG is perfect for blues, if you use the neck pickup and roll down the tone knob. That is how it is MEANT to be done.

You can play blues on any guitar as the tone comes from the fingers and, more so, from the heart/soul.

From a technical perspective I play blues better on my Charvel as the jumbo frets and compound radius fretboard make string bending a breeze. The SG is great for blues too - I agree with what has been said about using the neck pickup.

Try to be impartial.

I keep hearing' date=' that the SG is a powerhouse guitar for rock etc etc. But now that I am adding on to that style which I already play, I don't need another guitar is described as a powerhouse, as in rock machine kinda thing.

Now that I am playing a more bluesier style, do you think that I should get SG still or a different style of guitar such as an ES model?

[/quote']

an sg for the blues? why not?

Your amp shapes your tone way more than your guitar does' date=' so if you plug it into the right amp it sure can.[/quote']

Yep, I was thinking of a Fender, maybe the Super Champ XD. How does the Blues Junior and your SG pair up?

Archived