Gibson Brands Forums

I know I need it..how about you

Mark

I've been having arguments over grammar for years. In one college class the PhD. with an English Grammar specialty, however much he required of me in class, would occasionally defer to me with the question, "What is the current practice in journalism."

Spelling, yeah, Firefox helps. But it's like WordStar 30 years ago in that it tells you what ain't necessarily correct, but it doesn't offer suggestions.

As for grammar, frankly I think it's horribly ignored in today's society. Oddly enough it's a subject I covered extensively when teaching new martial arts instructors - both grammar and diction.

m

Windows doesn't as a whole and I can think of several reasons why... None have anything to do so much with Windows as an OS, but more with the degree to which you want your entire interface to diddle with spelling and grammar. I'd not go for it at all were I a Microsoft wheel since it potentially could screw up far more than it would help.

Spell and/or grammar checking is for an application program, not the OS, although I think a common spelling engine could be used if the OS maker weren't concerned about an anti-competition lawsuit such as MS has been hit with.

For some applications, especially older ones, I've a little program called "Tiny Spell" that works with anything, sits in your computer quietly unless you ask it to work. Back at least when Mac OS really was a Mac OS instead of a questionably cute GUI above a Unix platform, there were similar freebies available.

There used to be many grammar-spelling checkers on the market too, until word processors, the major need for them, got the bloat and grammar-spell checkers came built in. Hell, newer versions of graphics programs have had spell checkers for years.

m

Archived