Gibson J-200

Martin OM-21

Some electrics with acoustic bridge.

Amps:

Fender Custom Vibrolux Reverb.

Marshall JCM 800

Rivera Sedona Lite 55 acoustic amp

Three amps with three way switch

These were named mainly as possibilities, when I'm working, no way I can afford anything past the Traditional plus ( if even that) now...lol...

Whats your ideal rig?

I'm going to try for the same number of guitars and amps as your list has...

Guitars:

Gibson Les Paul Traditional Plus (yes, I know, but it's a really sweet guitar)

Guild Starfire V w/ Bigsby (Natural finish)

Rickenbacker 360/12 (JetGlo)

Gibson Flying V (Cream finish)

Gibson SG 3 (Cream finish)

Guild D-50

National Model D (Walnut)

Amps (Same set-up...hell, why not?):

Fender Twin

Marshall Vintage Modern 2266

Egnater Tourmaster 100W

Effects:

Vox Wah

Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face

I'm going to try for the same number of guitars and amps as your list has...

Guitars:

Gibson Les Paul Traditional Plus (yes' date=' I know, but it's a really sweet guitar)

Guild Starfire V w/ Bigsby (Natural finish)

Rickenbacker 360/12 (JetGlo)

Gibson Flying V (Cream finish)

Gibson SG 3 (Cream finish)

Guild D-50

National Model D (Walnut)

Amps (Same set-up...hell, why not?):

Fender Twin

Marshall Vintage Modern 2266

Egnater Tourmaster 100W

Effects:

Vox Wah

Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face[/quote']

Cool, the traditional plus is a great guitar, I'm sure, and well the rest of mine at least is more of a mishmash of guitars and amps that I heard and liked, so yep, can't say for effects, I don't use any and haven't since I started electric 2 years, though I plan to get a wah soon.

I love Fender Amps for cleans and slightly overdriven. Depending on the type of music, I usually prefer Marshalls for more overdriven stuff, don't like their cleans as much.

Btw' date=' I think you may want a pick.[/quote']

Nope, no pick.

And as a multi-Gibson owner, I'm not slamming the brand, but from the original post, I'd love to be able to just rip it with the minimal rig. The dream.

Maybe my single P-90 SG instead of the Tele.

Either/or.

I've already got mine with the exception of 2 more Marshall 1960 B cabs. My current rig is:

AMPS

Marshall Kerry King Signature JCM 800 (For Dirty Sounds)

Peavey 6505+ (For Clean Sounds)

Two Marshall 1960B Cabinets

SIX SPACE RACK

Furman PL-Plus Power Conditioner

Shure ULXS14 Wireless System

KORG DTR-1000 Tuner

Dunlop DCR-1S Crybaby Rack Wah w/ two controllers

Rocktron Hush Super C

T.C. Electronic G Major (Used in the effects loop of the 6505 head for a clean chorus sound)

PEDAL BOARD

DigiTech Whammy

MXR Kerry King 10 Band EQ

BOSS DD3 Digital Delay

BOSS CE-5 Chorus Ensemble

Dunlop Slash Signature Wah

Morley ABY Box

Dunlop DC Brick

Actually...

ES175 or Lucille <grin> and a Deluxe Reverb or my old Aims Dual 12 with an extra set of tubes and fuses. About any modern multi-effect box to add a little chorus/sustain if I feel like it given that I like a fat "jazz" sound but also very, very light strings. I've got the Boss Leslie emulator that is a lot easier to haul than the old Fender Leslie box was.

Pound for pound hauling? The DR and a hollow-semi hollow will pretty much do it all with a little multi-effect jobbie.

One always wants "more," and I'm no exception. But for sound... yeah. Since I swapped the DR for the big machine that is way too heavy, I got a little Kustom acoustic. It's a marvelous compromise of weight/sound for little solo gigs. Guess what amp ain't left the house in years?

Okay, toss in a decent mike and a boom mike stand.

Yeah, I need cables. A plug-in or three. Don't usually use picks of any sort unless I'm doing bluegrass/folkie stuff. I'm thinking about somehow adding a computer to plug in, too. That might work better with a pa type rig. I dunno.

Yeah, we're talking "absolute ideal," in a sense because about anywhere I'd wanna play, or where anybody else would let me play, my "needs" are pretty much the same as my "wants." Maybe swap the "guitar amp" for a decent modular small PA and just plug into it. I dunno.

OTOH, if somebody wants to give me (this ain't quite "begging" as against the rules) a nice new fancied up hollow or semi hollow, or a nice clone of that old DR, I'd gratefully accept it. I've played the Ricks. Far as I'm concerned they're good boxes for what they are, but not "mine"... Ditto Fenders. The SG is cool.

Frankly a good acoustic 12 well set up (I'll accept a Gibbie, thank you) with a decent soundhole pickup can do everything the Rick can and more. Guild was a great brand in its day and I still have one but... I dunno. Wouldn't mind a Gretsch semi. But I had one and traded it off. (Dumb!)

Hmmm. Just got to thinking... How about just the stuff I already have, plus a new 175 and Lucille, but an instant roadie who'd haul my stuff and a free manager to get me decent-paying gigs? <chortle> Then I'd add the weight. <grin>

m

I've been thinking a bit more on this one...

A lot has to do with what and how you're playing.

A rock guy with a band that's getting into it like DamienAzrael needs a different rig for a dozen darned good reasons. They're just unlikely for any style of music I'd be likely to play for fun or money at this point in my life.

In fact, some of the stuff he's talking about didn't really exist when I was in a rock band unless you had reeeeeeeally big money. Even then, I look back at some of the sound equipment of the 60s even used by the "big names" and wonder how anybody listened to it compared to the quality available now.

Even if I got regular gigs at a dollar unlikely for what I can play solo, it's nothing that today's PA systems plus a decent small amp, good guitar, mike and a noise box or two wouldn't handle.

If we're talking about all the guitars I'd like to have, I'd still consider I'd have a lot less need for the amplification.

We never outgrow our inclination for new and different sounding or "feeling" guitars. A friend who died at a decently old age a cupla years ago was buying new guitars frequently up to the year he died even though he seldom played in public any more.

I'd like a dozen or so Gibson offerings. With an endless supply of cash, yeah, I'd take a Rick 12 and a pretty Gretsch too. But what'd I be likely really to play? The 175 80-85 percent of the time, the 335 10 percent and other stuff 5-10.

Add a 12 string with a soundhole pickup, steel string E-A for grass-type stuff, an E-A classical and - yeah, I'd like a nice bass, too, and an amp that can handle it to fill in for friends' bands if needed.

A good small amp with a decent pa and mikes? It's enough. On a long road trip add a backup for everything.

A guy like Murph needs more. DamienAzrael obviously needs more. I didn't say "wants," I said "needs."

Those needs and perceived needs will drive "wants" as well. Me? I don't think it's old age that drives the somewhat lesser wants. Yeah, I still could do the black jeans and t shirt gig if I knew the book. It'd be a gas. But I've a hunch it'd have to be with a band of old rockers instead of young - or the gray-hair appearance would damage more than any of my picking might help.

m

Actually...

ES175 or Lucille <grin> and a Deluxe Reverb or my old Aims Dual 12 with an extra set of tubes and fuses. About any modern multi-effect box to add a little chorus/sustain if I feel like it given that I like a fat "jazz" sound but also very' date=' very light strings. I've got the Boss Leslie emulator that is a lot easier to haul than the old Fender Leslie box was.

Pound for pound hauling? The DR and a hollow-semi hollow will pretty much do it all with a little multi-effect jobbie.

One always wants "more," and I'm no exception. But for sound... yeah. Since I swapped the DR for the big machine that is way too heavy, I got a little Kustom acoustic. It's a marvelous compromise of weight/sound for little solo gigs. Guess what amp ain't left the house in years?

Okay, toss in a decent mike and a boom mike stand.

Yeah, I need cables. A plug-in or three. Don't usually use picks of any sort unless I'm doing bluegrass/folkie stuff. I'm thinking about somehow adding a computer to plug in, too. That might work better with a pa type rig. I dunno.

Yeah, we're talking "absolute ideal," in a sense because about anywhere I'd wanna play, or where anybody else would let me play, my "needs" are pretty much the same as my "wants." Maybe swap the "guitar amp" for a decent modular small PA and just plug into it. I dunno.

OTOH, if somebody wants to give me (this ain't quite "begging" as against the rules) a nice new fancied up hollow or semi hollow, or a nice clone of that old DR, I'd gratefully accept it. I've played the Ricks. Far as I'm concerned they're good boxes for what they are, but not "mine"... Ditto Fenders. The SG is cool.

Frankly a good acoustic 12 well set up (I'll accept a Gibbie, thank you) with a decent soundhole pickup can do everything the Rick can and more. Guild was a great brand in its day and I still have one but... I dunno. Wouldn't mind a Gretsch semi. But I had one and traded it off. (Dumb!)

Hmmm. Just got to thinking... How about just the stuff I already have, plus a new 175 and Lucille, but an instant roadie who'd haul my stuff and a free manager to get me decent-paying gigs? <chortle> Then I'd add the weight. <grin>

m

[/quote']

Oh, yea lucilles are amazing, and great looking!

Les Paul Traditional Pro (I gotta agree' date=' I LOVE these guitars)

[/quote']

I know!, I love the traditional pro heritage cherry burst, and the honey burst, iced tea and heritage cherry of the plus version as well!

I'm pretty happy with the rig that I have right now:

Les Paul Jr/SG > Boss Tu-2 > Boss Tr-2 > MXR Carbon Copy > Electro Harmonix Electric Mistress > Boss Ph-1 > Electro Harmonix Octave Mutilplexer > DOD Preamp 250> Boss DD-3 into either a Peavey 5150 1/2 stack or Epiphone Valve Jr 1/2 stack.

I'd like to get a 61 reissue SG, or a SG Standard in Naturalburst, or find an old 'The SG' like Murph has. Then I'm done...for a while anyway.

Archived