Gibson Brands Forums

Best ear plugs for gigs?

Spot

OK, I know it's off subject but I wanted to ask your thoughts on best ear plugs for those of us worried about damaging are ears...

I'm talking from a non-performance level as a concert goer...

I've seen loads of loud shows in my time from MOTORHEAD in my teens to the PIXIES a few weeks ago and my ears are starting to ring for longer periods than they used to.

I'm really interested in finding a plug that offers maximum protection...would greatly appreciate your thoughts...

+:-@

Not really off topic. It's a good ides to protect your ears even if it is a bit of drag to plug your ears during a concert. I've always protected my ears and at 63 years, they still are pretty good. One thing I did was stop going to shows where the drums were miked. That was way too loud and not enjoyable.

Years ago I dropped the cash and got custom made earplugs by this Chicago company

http://www.sensaphonics.com/prod_erseries_customs.html

The filters they use attenuate all frequencies evenly so you don't get that muffled sound associated with foam plugs. *Highly* recommended if you listen to and play loud, electric music. You get protection without losing sound quality. My bet is that there is a similar company near you in London.

Outside of that I would get a pair of higher end ones like Hearos High Fidelity Ear Filters. They are ~ 14USD. They'll attenuate most frequencies evenly. The problem with these off the shelf plugs is that they get real uncomfortable after an hour. The flanges will dig into your ear canal. Guess that's a light trade off for preserving your precious hearing.

Years ago I dropped the cash and got custom made earplugs by this Chicago company

http://www.sensaphonics.com/prod_erseries_customs.html

The filters they use attenuate all frequencies evenly so you don't get that muffled sound associated with foam plugs. *Highly* recommended if you listen to and play loud' date=' electric music. You get protection without losing sound quality. My bet is that there is a similar company near you in London.

Outside of that I would get a pair of higher end ones like Hearos High Fidelity Ear Filters. They are ~ 14USD. They'll attenuate most frequencies evenly. The problem with these off the shelf plugs is that they get real uncomfortable after an hour. The flanges will dig into your ear canal. Guess that's a light trade off for preserving your precious hearing. [/quote']

Thanks guys for all your advice!

Evol, I have a pair of these ER-20 (Etymotic style plugs) from the link you sent but still notice ringing post shows. Can I get a plug with higher protection than 20 db? Are Hearos better?

http://www.sensaphonics.com/prod_er_20.html

:-k

Those must be loud shows. My plugs have a 15db filter and for me that is enough, granted I have not been to that many stadium sized shows. They did get me through My Bloody Valentine (one of the loudest bands in rock history) and their 10 minutes sonic assault of white noise during "You made me realize". I would think 20db would get you through. Might look into something like 25db or 30db, although I am not sure who would make them.

Geeze, how things have changed.

When I was in rock bands, nobody thought of using earplugs. Ditto shooting sports. In the artillery most guys wore them; I usually did over a number of years "covering" arty units as a journalist but still got a cupla pretty nasty noise jolts.

It's a good thing musicians nowadays think of using the things - ditto shooters.

I remember one show I played; and I got in the shower afterwards and couldn't hear the water running.

I'm lucky I didn't lose more hearing than I did.

m

Howard Leight Max with the cord - Noise Reduction Ratio of 33.

http://www.howardleight.com/family/index/1

Not very discreet, bright orange plug with a bright blue cord - that can be pulled out if you don't need it.

max_corded.jpg?1197755694

I've tried every form of hearing protection there is over the last 25 years, I prefer to keep it simple.

These WORK, and they aren't very expensive.

Best quality foam out there, and can be used more than once with no problem unless your ears are nasty.

:-k

When I can't get 'em at work, I buy 'em by the case and keep 'em at home.

Motorcycles, shooting, flying, air shows, concerts, you name it.

And yeah, I don't use 'em when I'm playing a gig.

Too much "muffling" effect, and I don't play that loud in a club anyway.

Whats a ear doctor called...

Proctologist/Urologist

They can be pricey sometimes.

Tear off a corner of a paper towel.

Chew on it until it's pulpy.

Stick it in your ears.

Old trick from working on race cars as a teen.

Don't use toilet paper, it completely falls apart and you can't get it out.

Neocon- you are a very, very bad boy for the doctor terms. Bad, bad. <chortle>

Seriously, I've not worn plugs for club gigs. There are some huge clubs some places but ain't around here. No need to play that loud.

m

OK' date=' I know it's off subject but I wanted to ask your thoughts on best ear plugs for those of us worried about damaging are ears...

I'm talking from a non-performance level as a concert goer...

I've seen loads of loud shows in my time from MOTORHEAD in my teens to the PIXIES a few weeks ago and my ears are starting to ring for longer periods than they used to.

I'm really interested in finding a plug that offers maximum protection...would greatly appreciate your thoughts...

=D>

[/quote']

If your ears are ringing for longer periods than they used to, you already have lost some hearing and it WILL get worse if you continue to take part in gratuitously loud activities. It will never, ever get better. Lost hearing is lost for ever.

Best ear plugs? The foam ones that look like .38 slugs. Or you could go to your local sporting goods store / department and get those ear plugs desinged for shooting sports. The silicone ones that look like Christmas trees.

Proper installation is key. To place in your right ear, reach over the top of your head with your LEFT hand then grasp the top of your ear. Pull up and somewhat back so you can get the plug in fairly deep and secure. Repeat for the LEFT ear using your RIGHT hand. It's hard to say how deep is deep enough / too deep. Everyone's ear canals are different lengths. As long as it stays put, it's good enough.

The foam ones need some prep. Hold between your index and thumb, then press and roll so it becomes smaller. It's kind of like rolling up a booger. Then before it has a chance to swell up, use the above installation procedure. You will need to hold it in long enough for it to expand and fill the cavity.

The best hearing protection is sound attenuating ear muffs.

The best prevention is to avoid loud noises.

The best protection without wearing ear muffs are Etymotic Musician's Ear Plugs.

They have relative flat attenuation so the sound isn't muffled.

Get the kind that is molded to your ear canal. They are a little more expensive, but they work much better and are much more comfortable.

link: http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/erme.aspx

erme-top.jpg

I've been using them since 1996 and are by far the best I've tried.

Insights and incites by Notes

I am going to throw this out there. Flame as you see fit.

Foam earplugs work great if all you are trying to do is protect your hearing from loud noises like firearms, drag racing cars, and machinery like chainsaws & pile drivers and do not care about the quality of that noise. The reason cats like Notes and myself are pushing musician earplugs is because we assume you still care about the quality of the sound hitting your eardrums. These earplugs attenuate frequencies evenly so you hear the crispness of the treble, the warmth of the mids, and the rumble of the lows, but at a volume that won't cause you to go deaf before you're 30. Foam plugs just muffle the sound. Why would you pay $20+ to see a concert if it sounds like you're listing to it under a wool blanket? Same for being on stage or at rehearsal. I hope you care enough about the musical experience to want to hear all instruments in all of their glory.

I am going to throw this out there. Flame as you see fit.

Foam earplugs work great if all you are trying to do is protect your hearing from loud noises like firearms' date=' drag racing cars, and machinery like chainsaws & pile drivers [b']and do not care about the quality of that noise.[/b] The reason cats like Notes and myself are pushing musician earplugs is because we assume you still care about the quality of the sound hitting your eardrums. These earplugs attenuate frequencies evenly so you hear the crispness of the treble, the warmth of the mids, and the rumble of the lows, but at a volume that won't cause you to go deaf before you're 30. Foam plugs just muffle the sound. Why would you pay $20+ to see a concert if it sounds like you're listing to it under a wool blanket? Same for being on stage or at rehearsal. I hope you care enough about the musical experience to want to hear all instruments in all of their glory.

Absolutely agree, I have a pair of ear muffs that will cut the sound down by 105db. Work great around aircraft, but wouldn't want them for a concert. Quality, fitted frequency attenuation plugs are the way to go. And as said before, once your hearing is gone, it's gone for good.

Your ears are your most important musical instrument, and presently there is no way to repair noise damaged ears.

Many people listen to their TVs too loud. Anything over 85db can damage your ears, and 85db isn't that loud.

In the days before air conditioning, truck drivers used to go deaf in their left ear because the sound of the air rushing in the open window of the truck is louder than 85db.

I knew a drummer who played 'big band' music in small groups for the "swing generation". He mostly played with brushes and pencil thin sticks. In other words, he didn't play very loud music at all. He kept on buying brighter and brighter cymbals because he lost the ability to hear them. Along with the majority of his generation, he is no longer with us, but his experience should serve as an example to all musicians. Protect your ears before they are gone.

I don't go to concerts, night clubs, or anywhere else without my ear plugs, and I keep a spare in the car just in case something unexpected comes up.

Of course, they are your ears and you can do what you want - but I offer this simply as a word to the wise.

Insights and incites by Notes

Howard Leight Max with the cord - Noise Reduction Ratio of 33.

http://www.howardleight.com/family/index/1

Not very discreet' date=' bright orange plug with a bright blue cord - that can be pulled out if you don't need it.

[img']http://www.howardleight.com/images/media/0000/0137/max_corded.jpg?1197755694[/img]

I've tried every form of hearing protection there is over the last 25 years, I prefer to keep it simple.

These WORK, and they aren't very expensive.

Best quality foam out there, and can be used more than once with no problem unless your ears are nasty.

:-s

When I can't get 'em at work, I buy 'em by the case and keep 'em at home.

Motorcycles, shooting, flying, air shows, concerts, you name it.

And yeah, I don't use 'em when I'm playing a gig.

Too much "muffling" effect, and I don't play that loud in a club anyway.

Gonna try these,...thnx Neo!

Got some free tickets to see O.A.R.

Shoulda brought plugs. I was sittin' 1.5 basketball courts away and still I could not hear the music for all the noise the band was making. The warm up band was basically a saxophone solo accompanied by the heavily miced drummer. There was also a couple guit tar pickers up there and a bass player who looked like they were playin' but who could tell? Then the head line act got up there. Same deal, except they had a keyboardist making moves like he was playing.. but... who could tell. Sax soloist with heavier drums and that's all one could hear.

I went home about 1hr into the headline act. It was bed time.

It's no wonder kids don't listen any more. Bloody 'ell, they can't hear.

Yup, I'm officially Old and in the way.

Archived