Gibson Brands Forums

The end of the world.

Thundergod

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nuclear holocaust - Ground Zero. Quick and painless and I don't have to hear all the whining' date=' "Why doesn't the government DO something... my Blackberry won't work! "[/quote']

LMFAO, seeing the current state of society and the common denominator that's probably what people will ask when the world comes to an end, regardless of what end it is

"my blackberry won't work"

Priceless[biggrin]

LMFAO' date=' seeing the current state of society and the common denominator that's probably what people will ask when the world comes to an end, regardless of what end it is

"my blackberry won't work"

Priceless[biggrin']

See the mushroom cloud - Do you know what that means? NO MORE FISHING LIMITS!!!

All kidding aside...

Anything that even creates major damage to "the environment" such as a blast of the caldera at Yellowstone in the US, likely will at best put the world back into a variation of the stone age. There are too many people to live for two or three years without food and electronic/electric infrastructure. Those accustomed to others providing their food, clothing and shelter will discover life is tenuous at best.

War is not at all necessary for such to happen.

I think we're in a situation not unlike that of Europe in the era of the Black Death: Comfort, good weather and high population densities that are not sustainable with current technology given an "outside" factor.

Think I'm nuts? Start listening to what emergency managers are thinking about in case of a pandemic that puts even a third of the people away from work either to survive or to care for family members illness.

m

Just some things to ponder when thinking about the future...

The earth is an incredibly ancient planet. There are civilizations that predate certain books by centuries. Is it possible that we only know a fraction of our planets history? Could that history be cyclic?

Mankind, as a species, is supremely arrogant in our assumptions. We take a comparatively small piece of evidence and extrapolate volumes of "absolutes" based on no more than those assumptions. (I thought of it, ergo it MUST be true)

What's worse... anything we discover that disproves our preconceived notions, we discount entirely. How cool we are that we can ignore that which does not fit our preconceived definitions?

Ancient+Model+Aircraft+2.jpg

image credit to Phenomenica, www.phenomenica.com/2008_10_01_archive.html

Free your mind, those that can, and explore the endless possibilities that exist outside the box.

I think all this crap about the world ending is just people overreacting.

Did you know that the Nowhere in Mayan text is there a reference to the world ending. Their calendar just stops. Maybe they died out before they finished it, maybe they figured they wouldnt last that long, or <rolls eyes> it could mean the world will end.

I hate to rain reality down on ya' date=' sir, but our sun [i']is[/i] a star, and as such, will burn out in a series of phases that are absolutely certain to end life on this planet as we know it.

starlife.jpg

photo courtesy of seasky.org: http://www.seasky.org

I don't think this is scheduled to occur on 12/21/12, but I am fairly certain it will happen.

;)

I hate to rain reality down on ya' date=' sir, but our sun [i']is[/i] a star, and as such, will burn out in a series of phases that are absolutely certain to end life on this planet as we know it.

starlife.jpg

I don't think this is scheduled to occur on 12/21/12, but I am fairly certain it will happen.

[angry]

yes in a few billion years.

that map is missing red dwarfs and a lot of other stuff

yes in a few billion years.

that map is missing red dwarfs and a lot of other stuff

Yeah... I couldn't find any really good pics showing all of them, but it was good enough to show our demise.

(And not at all... but perhaps two sparrows, if they gripped it by the husk....)

starlife.jpg

[angry]

Shouldn't that chart read "What many scientists Believe is the cycle of a Star". Many of those celestial phenomenon may have little to do with each other.

And, anyway, I bet we have a few Ice Ages before our sun Novas, and even then it may never Super Nova, and the chances that a Black Whole is the result of a Supernova is little better than guessing.

There are theories about "mini-black holes" smaller than atoms' date=' that are everywhere in front of you right now. They would be so small that they'd dissapate in milliseconds. kinda interesting.[/quote']

New stuff is discovered everyday... you just never know. We learn as we go. So how did you take the original question... the end of "the world" meaning planet earth, or the end of mankind as we know it, as in- the end of this civilization?

There are theories about "mini-black holes" smaller than atoms' date=' that are everywhere in front of you right now. They would be so small that they'd dissapate in milliseconds. kinda interesting.[/quote']

New stuff is discovered everyday... you just never know. We learn as we go. So how did you take the original question... the end of "the world" meaning planet earth, or the end of mankind as we know it, as in- the end of this civilization?

Are they the same thing?

So how did you take the original question... the end of "the world" meaning planet earth' date=' or the end of mankind as we know it, as in- the end of this civilization?[/quote']

Did you know that the Nowhere in Mayan text is there a reference to the world ending. Their calendar just stops. Maybe they died out before they finished it' date=' maybe they figured they wouldnt last that long, or <rolls eyes> it could mean the world will end.[/quote']

So you think it's the same thing then? The planet and all the life on it?

I think that is interesting. So how do you think this will happen?

Not being an asshat... I'm interested in your perspective. For what it's worth, I agree 100% with your Mayan calendar assessment. I have this mental picture of Moses with "these 15 <crash> no... 10 commandments", only the calendar broke at 12/21/12....

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TAtRCJIqnk[/YOUTUBE]

Archived