Gibson Brands Forums

Real or Fake Gibson super 400???

Mark Lee

I'm not sure if it's fake, but if it isn't, then I can guarantee that it won't be the guitar you would get if you decide to buy it. Seeing a price of around $500 for a guitar that normally sells for around 12k should send up a huge red flag...

I am not sure if I understand the question. I guess you are asking is the one in the picture a fake, who cares, the guitars from the web site are manufactured in China, scroll down this is from their web site:

"We have a lot of guitars in every imaginable brand, All the guitar are fabricat in our China factory, and all the guitar accessories, pickups, etc., are import from Korea.

We always guarantee that all the guitar we offer have the same sound and same quality the same – type – guitars you buy in your local musical instrument store, because customer satisfaction is always our number one priority.

Most of our guitars are made of mahogany. There are also some guitar are made of maple."

I still maybe missing something, but the guitars that are being sold from this website are as they state, copies made in china.

• 1 month later...
is the guitar shown in the pics on this sight real or fake?

http://product.madeinchina.com/Free-shipping-Super-400CES-400-CES-jazz-sunburst-DEAD-MINT-Guitar/10880206.shtml

I cant see anything wrong with the guitar' date=' but most gibson copies their is something wrong (like a three screw truss rod cover)[/quote']

Ive a few bucks to throw around and just out of curiosity im gonna buy it!

i will fill you in and post photos of what the sucker really looks like!

i emailed the guy and he swears it looks exactly as it does in the pic....

soon find out!

• 1 month later...

I realise that it is made in China (check the website URL?); I already own a Super 400 (with SD Phat Staples) but it is getting increasingly risky to take it on a gig. If the guitar on the webpage is actually the one on the photos, and they are NOT photos of a real one, then it looks very convincing. I am convinced that the photo's are of a fake and if you bought it you would actually get what is in the picture. A real Super 400 has an engraved tailpiece. So if anyone has a spare 500 lying around buy it for me and I'll repay you sometime in the future.

Fake!

Let's get real here. There are many reasons why it's a fake. The price of maple, spruce and ebony would drive the cost well pass $500.00. I own a L5 and the first thing that stands out is the pickguard. Then there's the binding, the unbounded frets, the head stock, the small tuner heads and on and on.

BTW, where does China gets it's wood?[cool]

Jazz

[thumbup]

Beaver poo and contact paper.

So they've upgraded.

I don't know why anyone would bother to spend the cost of shipping on a fake like that. It's like buying a plastic fern for your garden. The intrinsic value of a good jazz guitar is not its outer gloss, but its inner soul. That POS doesn't have one.

I hope that none of you are seriously considering sending any money for the Super 400 fake. If you receive any guitar at all, it will not be anything you will be proud to own. The photo seems to be "re-cycled" in different ads to attract more suckers. You can not buy quality materials for the prices they ask, much less quality labor. At the same time it degrades the fine Gibson name and reputation. Please don't encourage others to support companies that infringe on trademarks. GIBSON needs to ACT NOW to stop these fakes !

I am a retired CFE (Certified Fraud Examiner) and always remind people that you get what you pay for. Forum members are probably much more well informed than the general public but, I'm concerned about the unsuspecting guy on the street who buys a fake and later gets the bad news. Even though it wasn't Gibsons' fault, he will resent the company for letting it happen to him. If you want a very playable and attractive (non-Gibson) jazz guitar that is affordable you may want to consider the new D' Angelico New Yorkers. They are foreign made but at least the name is licensed and the guitars are of reasonable quality. I have examined and played a few of them and they are reasonably good for a basic jazz box. I'll stick with my 46 year old Byrdland. I wonder how many of those Chinese fakes will be firewood long before that.

:-({|= Be carefull out there. Lots of people want to get into your wallet and they don't care how they do it.

Good job, 56LP Special.

Last year, a guy here in town found a real bargain: a Gibson flat top for $600! He couldn't get the cash fast enough. Then he took it to the local dealer, who, unfortunately for him, is highly knowledgeable about Gibsons.

I dropped by a couple of days later, and the dealer showed me the "Gibson." It was a shoddy Chinese-made plywood acoustic, with "Gibson" spelled out on the head stock in white tape. Needless to say, the guy did not get the grand off he wanted on the Taylor he bought (the owner thought he had been extremely generous in taking the fake for $100 off).

Yeah. My main concern when I first found it was that the pictures were of a real super 400. But now I have found enough things to conclude that the pictures are of a fake guitar that, to be fair, looks decent and is probably the words most affordable 18 inch archtop. Besides, it's not technically illegal to buy because the seller clearly states that it is a replica.

FAKE! Look at the headstock carefully! It's not right! I've looked at literally hundreds of these guitars selling from china, and if you look closely you'll see flaws in the Gibson logo, where it's placed, the angle, shape of the headstock, the placement of the slit diamond inlay, the way the binding is installed around the headstock, etc. Find some photos from reputable dealers like Gruhn Guitars and compare!

Yeah I've figured its fake because:

the pickguard is the wrong size

the pickup selector switch is the wrong colour

the tailpiece isn't engraved

APart from those, the guitar is quite accurate. The Gibson Super 400 has always had a large headstock like the pictures. I dont need pictures to compare; I've got the real MacCoy right infront of me.

when I stated this thread I just wanted some other opinions on the giutar to make certain that the pictures wern't real and I was risking buying something that looks nothing like the real one. But now I've deduced that the pictures ARE of a fake guitar and you get the guitar in the picture.

Silas, still waiting on your oppinion on the one you bought.

Archived