Gibson Brands Forums

Real or Fake Gibson super 400???

Mark Lee

Are you serious?

$400?

I say buy it.

Hell, you could buy 30 of 'em for what the real thing costs and sell 28 of them at a profit.

(Keep an extra just in case, even such a fine guitar as these Chinese fakes should have a back-up...)

Jeez..........

[crying]

whats fake about the photos? I assumed that the seller just jused photos downloaded from ebay and the guitar that you recieve might only barely resemble the real thing.

Well...it looks like the binding on the end of the fret bored looks a little thick. The headstock looks long and wrong. I dont think the TRC is post to be that color. The tune o matic bridge the wood its on is not post to be tilted like that.

I have seen many legitimate 2009 Super 400's with a pearl truss rod cover.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/2009-Gibson-Custom-Shop-Super-400-CES_W0QQitemZ270482654326QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item3efa05c476#ht_10482wt_1202

the TRC was my main concern. if they still used the art deco TRC I would have known in an instant that it is fake (and subsequently purchased it)

I have seen many legitimate 2009 Super 400's with a pearl truss rod cover.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/2009-Gibson-Custom-Shop-Super-400-CES_W0QQitemZ270482654326QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item3efa05c476#ht_10482wt_1202

the TRC was my main concern. if they still used the art deco TRC I would have known in an instant that it is fake (and subsequently purchased it)

Hmm...my teachers doesnt have a pearl one...well cross that out. Ya also the price and the location where the seller lives and in this rare case...the madeinchina.com website.

dem00n, all the post GFC super 400's have a pearl truss rod cover. when did your teacher get their's? Gibson didn't have the Super 400, L5CES, and Citation listed anywhere on their website during the worst part of the GFC, so I presume that they went out of production for a few months and came back with some minor changes.

dem00n' date=' all the post GFC super 400's have a pearl truss rod cover. when did your teacher get their's? Gibson didn't have the Super 400, L5CES, and Citation listed anywhere on their website during the worst part of the GFC, so I presume that they went out of production for a few months and came back with some minor changes.[/quote']

I bet he changed it with a black one. Ill ask him.

I suppose either TRC looks fine on the guitar; its a matter of preference. Perhaps the Mother-of-toilet-seat TRC comes as optional when you purchase the guitar. when I bought mine it came with a brown tortoiseshell pickguard interchangeable with a black one, and an ebony compensated bridge interchangeable with the Tune-o-Matic

OK I just noticed that the pickup selector is white, not aged ivory colour, the pickguard ends at the cutaway (not the 19th fret), and the F-holes only have single binding. So the photo's are definitely of a fake guitar the is a very nice looking replica (check out how hideous some of the sites listed L5 replicas are. Just type L5 into the search bar). I am considering buying it asap, unless one of you already have an account with the website and want to buy it for me =D

Who would have guessed? an 18 inch archtop for under a third of the price of an Epiphone Broadway (FYI, most 18 inch archtops, exept for Stroup guitars, which are shoddy, start at around 10 grand)

Archived