Gibson Brands Forums

New Member here!

rjc guitar

Hello everyone!

I am new to this forum but have been a "lurker" for awhile now. Just some info about me: I have been playing for 30+ years, in a professional band here in the Twin Cities and I also am a full time Luthier. I have built a few guitars from raw materials and now I am running a full time guitar repair and restoration shop. I am a Les Paul lover (and other Gibby's) and also have a few Fenders as well. I look forward to learning some information here and willing to share.

I do have one question for the group: where does one get original Gibson paint? I have an Explorer which is "Classic White" in the shop that I repaired the broken headstock and need to finish it with the correct color. I have done MANY of these repairs but all have been the "standard" colors that I have. I sent Gibson Service an e-mail but have not heard back yet. I also would be fine with the "recipe" to make up taht color.

Any help or direction will be greatly appreciated!!!

THANK YOU and glad to be part of this forum!!

-Rick

Now that's how a new member should enter a forum! Nice introduction. Welcome to the forum.

I've been playin' myself for a little over 40 years. Non-professional though. I did a quick google search and was able to find enough evidence to tell me that at least at one time Gibson has used Valspar paints and finishes.

What the color codes are though are anybody's guess.

I found this on E-bay but it's yellow.

Also note that the product code has been blacked out, and the words "Trade Secret" are also on the can.

Click here ~ Valspar paint link

Again Welcome to the board.

-TLSG (Gary)

You wanna be ONE OF US??? DO YA???

*shoves 'rjc guitar' to the ground and begins kicking him repeatedly*

INITIATION!!!!!

Kidding, kidding!

Welcome to the friendliest forums you'll ever find. It's like AA for Gibson addicts!

AA for Gibson addicts!

Make mine a double!

Welcome sir,

I'm not sure about original paint but I'm sure you already know you'll have to be wary of any fading, just like an auto spray shop does.

Good luck with your quest for knowledge!

hey!

Just an update on the Paint. I didn't get anywhere with Gibson, got a "sorry but can't help you" type e-mail. So, I decided to look through my supply of pigments and dyes and with the FIRST experimental mix it MATCHED PERFECT!!! Now that doesn't happean all that much to me!! Had a little "vintage amber" powder mixed it with white pigment and a touch of yellow trans dye and mixed it up.........holy crap....it matches!!!

My client is coming tomorrow to pick it up and will be nicely surprised at the "invisible" break repair!

I don't usually post stuff like this but with this good luck on this one I had to tell someone!

Rock on!

-Rick:d/ :D/

Archived