Gibson Brands Forums

Silverbursts

silv8r8urst

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The thing is: some 70's/80's Silverburst LP Customs haven't changed in color at all! I don't know if its because of the lack of sunlight, smoky environments or because of the paint itself (the metal flakes) that doesn't seem to change the color as much as it does on other Silverbursts.

The '79 I played definitely had the darker tone to it. It was a nice darker though, as you have put it Bram, it's not boomie, but it is fat. The brite you speak of is definitely apparent in my SB, but not over done, but it has that same fat and tight bottom end.

It's definitely an exposure thing. Again the one I played was still pretty sliver, not as silver as a new custom, but I think that has something to do with the paint as well. There was minimal yellowing, if at all - even on the binding. Mind you this guitar was in a display case for the better part of it's existence.

The change in color on mine I think is more from the nitro turning than anything.

It hasn't been around smoke at all and hasn’t been exposed to much sunlight.

In fact, if I remove the pickups the unexposed parts of the paint under the rings is almost exactly the same color as the exposed areas. I'm trying to remember where I saw this, but I think it's inside the control cavity where there are some areas that got paint, but not nitro. Those are still nice and silver.

Mine was pretty silver for about 15 years and then over just a couple of years it turned and then appears to have not changed any further. It was like it hit puberty.

I was home sick yesterday and cranked it up since I figured the neighbors were all at work. Maybe it was the cold medicine kicking in, but it was pure heaven.

I was home sick yesterday and cranked it up since I figured the neighbors were all at work. Maybe it was the cold medicine kicking in' date=' but it was pure heaven.

[/quote']

I think it was the cold medicine...

Kidding [-o<

Anyway, it's great to crank up the amp when nobody else is around ya!!

^ That's a beauty Are nine !

Bram, my Custom has a bassy and clear low end, but also a very clear treble. When I put the selector to both pickups it gives a chicken pickin' clean sound almost llike a Tele ! I've heard this sound on many other Customs from the same era. I put this down to the maple neck / ebony board combination. Yours has the ebony board, but does it have a mahogany or maple neck ? And can you get that chicken pickin' sound ? Yeah, I know it wouldn't go down too well at a Slayer convention.... =D>

BTW, what amp do you use ?

Bram' date=' my Custom has a bassy and clear low end, but also a very clear treble. When I put the selector to both pickups it gives a chicken pickin' clean sound almost llike a Tele ! I've heard this sound on many other Customs from the same era. I put this down to the maple neck / ebony board combination. Yours has the ebony board, but does it have a mahogany or maple neck ? And can you get that chicken pickin' sound ? Yeah, I know it wouldn't go down too well at a Slayer convention.... :)

BTW, what amp do you use ?[/quote']

Mine doesn't have very clear treble response in the neck position...the bass is very thick and rounded, the mids are thick and the treble response is a little bit more biting. Overall I'd describe it as 'warm', 'stiff', 'meaty' and 'big'. Definately not the ultimate bright and trebly strumming guitar. The bridge position is more cutting with more biting mid/treble response while still having that full and strong bass response.

It has a mahogany neck. The maple neck on your LP Custom might explain the more trebly tone in the middle position.

Bram, it would be interesting to hear a sample of your guitar. What's your amp ? I tried my 1978 Marshall 50W (el34) combo out yesterday after a long break using other things. It was a crime that I couldn't crank it up (neighbour trouble). It has amazing crunch !

There is a really nice '85 Les Paul Custom Silverburst on ebay right now. He wanted $3000 for it but dropped it down to $2800.

It's in great shape (from the pics) and I would like it but I just put one on Lay-a-way at Guitar Center in Houston (well actually a buddy of mine put it on lay-a-way for me, he spotted it and sent me pics and said if I didn't get it THAT HE WOULD, So I bit on it)

This will be my first Custom and my first Silverburst. I too have heard all the myths about this Tone Monster from Interviews with Adam Jones of Tool, and various other artists (Ain't Google Grand?) that swear by the tone of this behemoth. I thought it was all hype until I played my buddy's 1980 Custom Silverburst (He just picked it up in Dallas off of Craigslist last month) I plugged it into my Hughes and Ketter Triamp Combo and let him rip. It sounded like the music of angels coming out of that thing.

Then he handed it to me and I plugged it into my Line 6 Spider Valve, hit the 'soil' setting, dropped the E to D and let her rip......I was in Chugga- Chugga Heaven. Tool tone right out of the box, and sustain for days..... I almost crapped myself.

Can't wait to get mine! Im so excited.

Will post pics when she is in my hands.

Oh yeah, those things are HEAVY (also having something to do with the tone; besides the paint and Tim Shaw pickups and pots?)

80LPC: I love Les Paul Customs very, very much and I'd love to hear yours too!! I bet it sounds great...I'm really curious what the maple neck would feel like compared to the mahogany neck I'm used to; there has to be a tone difference between the two LP's. Who knows...they both should sound great!!

This is a nice picture from my LP Standard that I took about a year ago (with the stock EMG's/electronics). This picture really shows how the color/paint exactly looks like in real life from the front (as you see it's colored very much). I love the ebony fretboard on this thing.

Afbeelding051.jpg

There is a really nice '85 Les Paul Custom Silverburst on ebay right now. He wanted $3000 for it but dropped it down to $2800.

It's in great shape (from the pics).

This will be my first Custom and my first Silverburst. I too have heard all the myths about this Tone Monster from Interviews with Adam Jones of Tool' date=' and various other artists (Ain't Google Grand?) that swear by the tone of this behemoth. I thought it was all hype until I played my buddy's 1980 Custom Silverburst (He just picked it up in Dallas off of Craigslist last month) I plugged it into my Hughes and Ketter Triamp Combo and let him rip. It sounded like the music of angels coming out of that thing. Then he handed it to me and I plugged it into my Line 6 Spider Valve, hit the 'soil' setting, dropped the E to D and let her rip......I was in Chugga- Chugga Heaven. Tool tone right out of the box, and sustain for days..... I almost crapped myself.

Can't wait to get mine! Im so excited.

Oh yeah, those things are HEAVY (also having something to do with the tone; besides the paint and Tim Shaw pickups and pots?)[/quote']

Hi Honkeymofo,

I know exactly what you're saying. Those 80's LP Custom Silverbursts have a monsterous BIG tone; I don't think it's only because of the Shaw pickups/pots (at all). Like I already said earlier: I tried all sort of pots, caps and pickups (even the EMG's that were stock in the guitar) and the tone or its huge character never seemed to change. I like it the most with medium output pickups, PIO caps and 500K CTS pots. It's still the Les Paul of my dreams, but she comes out of her shell when plugging it into a loud tube amp!

They used very heavy woods at the time and they were quality made instruments (at least that's the case with my late 80's Silverburst LP ST). They're extremely heavy and thick in tone and seem to be made for heavy hardrock and metal. They give a big, fat bluesy/jazzy tone when played clean. And yes, the sustain is out of this world and I think it could go even heavier than Adam Jones from 'Tool' (depending on your amp, set-up etc).

I played the SB today through a grounded socket in my kitchen (with the Engl) and the tone was just insane. Lovely thick clean tone and insane distorted (overdrive) tone. If I would ever sell this guitar it would be for nothing less than $3200.

So, go for it.

This is one is GASing me hard:

sbusrt7.jpg

sbusrt6.jpg

sbusrt3.jpg

sbusrt4.jpg

sbusrt5.jpg

sbusrt2.jpg

sbusrt1.jpg

sbusrt.jpg

I'm gonna translate the store ad:

GIBSON LES PAUL CUSTOM SILVERBURST 1979

"This guitar has whoooooole lotta sound!!!"

"A light guitar, it's ideal for whoever is searching a Custom with a thinner neck, because this neck is very very comfortable." (actually, I like heavy guitars with thicker necks...)

"Original case and all the original tags included"

The shop is specialized in vintage and used instruments. Not comparable with what you guys have around the US, but is as good as we get here.

If I was to convert the value, it would be around U$3,875.00, just a little much more than we would pay for a brand new Standard LP and way cheaper than my VOS SG 61. Remember that the taxes can range from 40% to 100% depending on how much affairs the wives of the customs guys are having.

One more time: it's almost the same price as a standard LP.

Hearing is believing.

It's such a pitty that you can't afford her. I know what you mean with the 'ugly' looks...At first I found mine a bit ugly too, but the tone and vibe from the guitar made me forget about everything else. Actually I love the color of an aged Silverburst LP Custom.

Well guys this one is still up on ebay, and it is Nice. $2,800

If I didn't just put a 79 on Lay-a-way at Guitar Center in Houston I would snag this thing up!

Maybe if I work enough overtime this pay period I can....if it's still there.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1986-Gibson-Les-Paul-Custom-Silverburst_W0QQitemZ280302448695QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item280302448695&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

He says it's an 86 but looking at the Serial Number and using the 1st and 5th digit to come up the year it was made I get 85. but everything I read says that they were made from 78-84. I read somewhere else that it was only 3 years (79-81) that they were produced orginally. I have been diligenlty searching (via Google of course) the History of our great SB Les Paul Custom and how and why it came to be "The Beast" that we know today, but to no avail (that is how I came across this great forum). Guess I should get a Gibson Book and see what I can find. I've always heard that they used PPG auto paint on the guitar and so maybe the metal flakes have something magical to do with the paint fade and heavier than other Les Paul's Weight but again I'm just guessing based on What I have been reading and hearing.

Mr. Owl, Why does a Silverburst Les Paul weigh more and sound better than other Les Paul Customs?

The world may never know!

Archived