Gibson Brands Forums

Silverbursts

silv8r8urst

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks, yeah it's an 08 BFG Limited. They look a lot better in person and sound awesome. I wanted to rewire it a bit, take out the kill switch, put the pickup selector where it usually is and add a neck tone and add a pickup cover, but the rewiring was a pain and the cover didn't fit in the cavity right, so I left it stock, the P-90 Burstbucker 3 combo is awesome.

Received the guitar yesterday. Awesome. Used it with my jcm 800 stack on last night's band rehearsal and it sounds like heaven. Much more articulate sound than my studios, but still very,very beefy. Can't wait to put on some heavier strings, and really finding this guitars potential. It's my first Custom. Obviously it goes a bit out of tune when using the bigsby to rough, but it looks so cool and special with it on that I'll probably never remove it. Best guitar I've ever touched! Never seen anyone like it. Gonna upload some pics when my girlfriend gets home. Can't find the camera, so I need some help first.

I wonder how many BFG's were made

Supposedly 200 of each color (Silverburst, Bullion Burst, Natural and Ink) and the first 50 were hand numbered from what I heard . The only one I didn't see was the Bullion Burst. The Ink one would have been my next choice. I personally like the look, but if people can get over the unfinished look, it's a hell of a guitar.

I just purchased a Silverburst LP standard and found this thread. I'll post some pics here and hope you all enjoy them. I'd also like to share the story that brought me to this guitar.

I started playing at 15. I got my first job and worked for three months straight until I had enough money to pay off the layaway on an Ibanex ex and a small peavey amp. Three months later I had enough, and quit the day that final check came. I played sporadically until joining the Navy after HS graduation and left it behind. Now many years later I decided to start playing again. I tried to be focused, worked on theory, scales, chords and songs (instead of just learning more crappy tabs). I set a goal to buy a nice guitar if I stuck with it. I took my old Ibanez on deployment with a little line 6 practice pod and played as often as I could. I got home and shopped a little and bought a beatiful wine red LP studio. I thought, great! An LP at a great price! I brought it home and played it, and it sounded great! I felt a little uncomfortable with the thick neck and the creaky pick gaurd was annoying on what I thought was a high end guitar. Well, after two cold months where I didn't feel like playing, I decided maybe the LP wasn't for me. Then lightning struck.

I saw the Silverburst in my mailed GC catalogue, and it had me. I had never seen one, not familiar with all breeds of the LP lineage. But, the slimmer 60s neck, lighter chambered body, and burstbuckers had me interested. I took the studio down to the local store and there sat one single silverburst high on the wall. I was shocked at how much nicer it was, the friction on the toggle and pots, the slim neck, the light body. I traded up and lost a little (no worse than that China opportunities mutual fund last fall) and brought it home. I still don't know if it was worth the total spent (and lost), but I'll tell you I played 3 hours straight that first day and have played everday since. I absolutely love this guitar.

I do wonder why my old studio had the 490 and 498 pickups, the SB Standarad has burstbuckers, and the SB custom has the 490/498 combo again. Kind of confusing. What are the main differences. Also, if anyone can tell me more about these guitars I'd love to hear. Thanks, for reading my little story.

The new Silverburst

l_187e3da285db419b4bca9cfacd7e45f8.jpg

The neck makes all the difference

l_45170764aa57f87212902f2fc778a593.jpg

Silverburst again

l_e971ebdadb7d9d12f958ebc767651672.jpg

My rig

l_28e5058e15f0714d38be0fe28c056cc9.gif

My old studio- love the color, but if you don't love playing it.....

l_b7775407257d9c27d075cd7f1f5c86b6.jpg

^ Nice guitar there! Hmm...I didn't know they made a Standard SB? When I first looked at yours, I thought is was a Guitar of the Week, but it's not.

The pick up combos may be a bit confusing at first, but soon enough, you'll be like the rest of us and know what pups come in each LP.

I guess what threw me on the pickups was that the low end studio had the same pups as the high end custom and my new standard had the burst buckers. Thanks for the compliment on the guitar, its a beauty for sure.

Does your serial number begin with GC? Mine is a Standard Limited Edition with the 60s neck also from Guitar Center. The headstock decoration is different as well.

Regardless, congratulations. I'm sure you will love her for many years to come.

Here is mine...

IMGP0643c-1.jpg

Silverburst2.jpg

hey, a new silverburst:

Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul Custom All Mahogany Triple Pickup Electric Guitar...

Any one had an encounter yet?

I'm not too fond of the crappy tuners, what were they thinking?

hey' date=' a new silverburst:

Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul Custom All Mahogany Triple Pickup Electric Guitar...

Any one had an encounter yet?

I'm not too fond of the crappy tuners, what were they thinking?[/quote']

You mean this one?

LPCustom1.jpg

A real beauty, not so sure if a triple PuP configuration would match my attack though. :-k

Archived