Gibson Brands Forums

Silverbursts

silv8r8urst

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That’s a Kahler licensed Gibson Vibrola. This was an option on the early 80's Les Pauls. I took the lock nut off because it was a pain to work with and I don't really do a lot of dive bombs or anything. If I had it to do all over again, I wouldn't get that option, but it gives it a unique character.

Yes tuning is a bit of a pain with the tremolo, but you get used to it. Unless i'm going to clean it up a bit, I tend to replace strings one at a time (so the rest are under normal tension). This avoids a lot of the back and fourth you get (tighten one string and the others go flat) when tuning up with a floating trem.

My brothers friend just bought a Les Paul Silverburst Custom with 3 pick-ups. I wonder how different it sounds compared to one with 2 burstbuckers. Well i told him to post pictures on here as soon as he can...

I'd really love to see that it looks really sharp on gc but I'd like to see pictures taken by someone that owns one.

Awesome guitars!!!!!!!!!!!1

"Only 200 in a year compared to 1000+"

Gibson has more employees now which means more guitars. Not neccessarily meaning quality will go down. The Gibson factory also distroys bodies that they can not repair now. Im not sure if they did that in the 80s. There was a time (short) where they just turned them out and you had to be lucky.

Sickboy she is beautiful. I bet she weighs a ton. What? like 11 pounds?

Ya know, I haven't weighed her yet. I'll have to get back to you on that.

It sure is a great playing guitar though. Expensive, but I sure am glad I broke down and ordered it. I'm going to have to sell some other things in order to afford it.

The only thing I'm not crazy about are the tuners. I would have preferred the grover tulip tuners like on other Customs.

Ya know' date=' I haven't weighed her yet. I'll have to get back to you on that.

It sure is a great playing guitar though. Expensive, but I sure am glad I broke down and ordered it. I'm going to have to sell some other things in order to afford it.

The only thing I'm not crazy about are the tuners. I would have preferred the grover tulip tuners like on other Customs.

[/quote']

I'll probably end up getting one in the future maybe after my traditional. How do you like the three pickups?

I'll probably end up getting one in the future maybe after my traditional. How do you like the three pickups?

I like the bridge and middle, but I think I may have preferred a 57 classic at the neck.

To be honest, I mostly play the bridge pickup anyway. I like a lot of classic/hard rock and punk.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Yes, I'm back to this great Silverburst Topic! Silv8r8urst: Are you still out there? Do you still have your 'Showcase Edition' (SE) Les Paul Standard?

Mine has been refretted recentely and I changed the factory EMG's with passive pickups/electronics. Apart from this, everything else is still completely original. The fret job is done amazing and the neck plays as smooth as butter now, stringed with EB 10-46 gauge.

What a sweet, dark and warm tone.

Here she is:

Afbeelding141.jpg

I believe this is the one of the paint styles that they're showing off with the new "Robot" models. definitely a cool look.

You're right about that, some of the ''Robot'' models are in Silverburst. These days the Silverburst is just different than the original Silverburst that Gibson used for the 70's/80's Les Paul Customs.

The old buick paint was discontinued a long time ago by Gibson (because of the coloring process and complaints about the paint affecting the tone). My 88' Showcase Edition Les Paul Standard Silverburst has colored quite a lot through the years (some of them do, some don't...it depends on how often you've played it in a smoky bar/environment).

Guest JeffreyG
Hello' date=' I have a 1988 Silverburst Showcase Edition Les Paul. It would be cool to meet some people who have this same guitar and see pictures of them. There were only 200 made 20 years ago. I almost made a mistake recently in trying to sell it to buy a brand new silverburst custom. I would love the custom, but it seems like they are making so many of them that they will almost be always available. I cant even find a available 88 showcase silverburst anywhere. So i made up my mind to keep it and i even appreciate it more. So it would be cool to see pictures and hear from other silverburst owners.....[/quote']

A friend of mine had one years ago. I got the privilege of playing it a few times. super heavy, which is why he sold it. the guitar was awesome and I told him if he was ever going to sell it to call me first. well he didn't and used it as a trade in for something terrible. I think it was a Schechter or a Mesa Boogie. he didn't have the original case, it had some ugly boxy flight case looking thing. It was such a sweet guitar. enjoy yours, don't sell it.

P.S. some guy bought it from the guitar shop my friend sold it to, and flipped it and made some mad cash on it.

I'm very glad that I'm one of the 200 owners...I own it for 20 years now and I've played the hell out of it (that's one of the biggest reasons why it needed new frets recentely). I changed the pickups and electronics, though I still have the original EMG 85 pickups and electronics.

I also still have the original case and certificate (picture).

Afbeelding155.jpg

Archived