Gibson Brands Forums

Silverbursts

silv8r8urst

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, it's crunch time!

I am about to buy another electric guitar. I am wondering what everyone here would select if you had $3k+/- to spend on your next guitar? By the way, I posted this here in this thread beacuse I see my local dealer has a brand new Custom Shop Silverburst tagged for $2,799 making it eligble....

Feel free to throw any Gibson model in that would be your pick, or even included your top 3 selections if you think of more than model...

Ok' date=' it's crunch time!

I am about to buy another electric guitar. I am wondering what everyone here would select if you had $3k+/- to spend on your next guitar? By the way, I posted this here in this thread beacuse I see my local dealer has a brand new Custom Shop Silverburst tagged for $2,799 making it eligble....

Feel free to throw any Gibson model in that would be your pick, or even included your top 3 selections if you think of more than model...

[/quote']

I already have my Desert Burst... so I'd go with a Silver Burst next...

First post. My 81. (it's leaning against a 78' date=' if you're interested). Yes, my room is a sty. Tell me, if I ask if it's a fake will cudamax welcome me aboard by tearing me a new one? :D

[img']http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y217/h-bar21/silverburst/sb_and_marshall.jpg[/img]

Anyone to-busy play-in a sweet silverburst thru his marshall to clean his room, well won't be push-in any forgeries. Don't worry, your all right.

Question.... What would you guys rather have a brand new custom silverburst or a model 10 or 20 years older' date=' but in good shape? Would you sacrifice vintage for newness?[/quote']

I know I answered this question once already, but the more I think about it, the more I feel now I would go with the Custom Shop Silverburst all the way...

I've took some pictures today from my Les Paul Standard Silverburst. I haven't cleaned her up and as you can see, she's quite vintage looking. The top isn't true silver looking anymore and I think that's because of the special paint they used for these guitars in the 70's and 80's...

Frets need to be replaced at some time, but it sounds great and plays fine, despite the fretbuzz. It stays in tune very well, even when played hard. I have three other Les Pauls to compare and this one is my favourite of them all. Much bite and classic hardrock in the bridge position (like Angus Young on steroids), smooth and thick sound from the neck pickup. It really has an unique vibe to it. I always play it for live gigs with my band, without using a back-up.

Here are some pictures:

Afbeelding027.jpg

Afbeelding040.jpg

Afbeelding051.jpg

Looks great' date=' Bram. When you do have the fret work done, make sure you have a reputable luthier do it. A bad fret job as you may know can ruin a guitar...[/quote']

Thanks! I know a very reputable luthier that can do amazing fret jobs.

I've took a 60's beat up Yamaha acoustic guitar once to him for having new frets installed and when I got it back it played like a dream. Many musicians go to that same luthier for these kind of critical surgeries, always with great results, so I really trust him. He said once to me he could turn the Silverburst Les Paul into a real jewel in terms of playability by replacing..... the frets and having a little trussrod adjustment.

Are you sure you need new frets ? Are there any flat spots ? Some times buzzing mean

you need to adjust the truss rod.

Does that have an ebony or rosewood finger board ?

You don't always find trapezoid inlays on older silverbursts. I know the Guitar Center has

had newer silverbursts with trapezoid inlays, but not the complete burst. Just the black

outline.

Are you sure you need new frets ? Are there any flat spots ? Some times buzzing mean

You don't always find trapezoid inlays on older silverbursts. I know the Guitar Center has

had newer silverbursts with trapezoid inlays' date=' but not the complete burst. Just the black

outline.[/quote']

Yep, definately sure. The frets are worn quite seriously and the luthier wasn't be able to set it up professionally without replacing them, so instead he set it up as good as possible for me without having a fret job. The only thing is the buzz

when playing unplugged, especially at the lower strings. He checked everything and concluded that the frets were the

main problem. Normally he could get rid of the buzzing by adjusting the trussrod, but not in this case. It has an ebony fretboard btw with an all black back and neck.

Thanks for your pictures Bram.. Its nice to see a silverburst exactly like mine.. Yours is the second showcase ive ever seen so far. i wonder how many of the 200 made is still in good condition. I wish i had the certificate, but when i bought it used at a dealer they didnt have it. Do you have cert Bram?

Thanks for your pictures Bram.. Its nice to see a silverburst exactly like mine.. Yours is the second showcase ive ever seen so far. i wonder how many of the 200 made is still in good condition. I wish i had the certificate' date=' but when i bought it used at a dealer they didnt have it. Do you have cert Bram?[/quote']

You're welcome.

Strangely enough I have seen another Silverburst Standard Showcase in the same village where I'm living. I was looking at a live band about a year ago (close to my street there's a pub where all sort of live bands are playing about every two weeks) and the guitarist had exactly the same guitar...that was an almost shocking moment. I could hear and see the Showcase from a different angle and of course I had the best evening in my life. Never thought that one of the 200 people across the whole world would gig with another Showcase LP Silverburst near my house!

The certificate must be somewhere in my house, but I really have to search for it, since I'm always making a mess when it comes to guitar stuff...

I'll search for it tomorrow and if you want I can take a picture from it. Your Silverburst Les Paul Standard still seems to look very clean without the greenish or bronze finish, am I right?

I've played this guitar for many years in all sort of smokey bars and I always smoked too (I still do)...I think that's one

of the reasons why it's colored so much, as you can see on the second picture (watch the top, bindings and the Gibson'

pearl inlay).

Yea, i noticed yours seemed more vintage looking than mine. till i saw yours i thought they made the showcase with a different paint that didnt change color, i actually like it with a little aged look. my trim has aged a bit, but the silver hasnt tinted yet. the guy who had it before me must have really took care of it..it just has some belt groves on the back side, but no scratched paint..

I would be nice to see what the certificate looks like.. I bet if mine came with the certificate, i would have had to pay more for it. I dont think the dealer knew how rare it is..

You got a great silverburst, dont ever get rid of it....

had newer silverbursts with trapezoid inlays' date=' but not the complete burst. Just the black

outline.[/quote']

Which is another reason to take it to a reputable luthier... They should be able to diagnose a guitar that is in need of fret replacement and one that does not.

As a side note, there is a Noticeable Difference (to me anyway) in Gibsons that have been Plek'ed and those that are set-up by individuals. The Consistancy of Plek'ing and it's accuracy is worth having it done.

So not to divert this thread, I'll to a separate Plek thread... so it can be discussed in length.

Tim A, how much for the GOTW in burlington?

When I was looking to buy mine, I spoke with Jeff Long at L&M, and he said he didn't have any close to me, and couldn't compete with LA Music's price... It would be nice to see what they are asking for it...

Archived