Gibson Brands Forums

highres pics of an original LP59???

BBSHS

I would try contacting some collectors. The first names that spring to my mind are Billy Gibbons and Rick Nielson but there are others who are less high profile. The only other suggestion I have is to search Google images but you'll still need to get permission from the photos' owners.

Surfpup...

If his magazine is on glossy paper and has halftones at 150 dots per inch, the digital photo resolution should be at minimum twice that - roughly 300 pixels per inch at the size of the printed piece. There are printers who do even higher quality printing, but the standard formula of doubling the halftone resolution of dots per inch for the digital photo is pretty much the same.

Such things can be played with a bit in Photoshop or similar software, but... it's best if an original has the required resolution rather than attempting to be "arty" and hoping you can electronically get something for nothing.

Assuming the magazine were 8 1/2 by 11, and the printer might allow a "full bleed" of the photo to cover the entire page rather than requiring "white" margins, a photo would (in theory) need to be 8 1/2 inches by 11 inches at 300 dots per inch for that quality of photo reproduction. As I said, there are workarounds, but quality suffers.

On newsprint, usually the photo halftones are at 85 dots per inch in the US - occasionally somewhat higher, but usually under 100 dpi. Again, figure double the resolution of a digital photo from the halftone dots per inch and you are at 170 to 200 pixels per inch at the printed size.

At least the above are general guidelines.

m

So, yeah, there are some pics on that site I posted. [thumbup]

Perhaps they can provide you with higher resolution versions. I doubt they upload their fullest quality - who does? It is even possible that their original image quality is 300 dpi or something close to it.

Surfpup...

If his magazine is on glossy paper and has halftones at 150 dots per inch' date=' the digital photo resolution should be at minimum twice that - roughly 300 pixels per inch at the size of the printed piece. There are printers who do even higher quality printing, but the standard formula of doubling the halftone resolution of dots per inch for the digital photo is pretty much the same.

Such things can be played with a bit in Photoshop or similar software, but... it's best if an original has the required resolution rather than attempting to be "arty" and hoping you can electronically get something for nothing.

Assuming the magazine were 8 1/2 by 11, and the printer might allow a "full bleed" of the photo to cover the entire page rather than requiring "white" margins, a photo would (in theory) need to be 8 1/2 inches by 11 inches at 300 dots per inch for that quality of photo reproduction. As I said, there are workarounds, but quality suffers.

On newsprint, usually the photo halftones are at 85 dots per inch in the US - occasionally somewhat higher, but usually under 100 dpi. Again, figure double the resolution of a digital photo from the halftone dots per inch and you are at 170 to 200 pixels per inch at the printed size.

At least the above are general guidelines.

m

[/quote']

Does Gibson pay you a $1 a word to post here? If so, I do I get in on the action. Also, do you think that Surf really cares...he was just pointing the OP in the right direction.

Gee Blue...

I didn't know you didn't believe in answering a question that has professional technical ramifications.

It would make the major difference between helping the initial poster or putting him on a wild goose chase.

Surf's question reflected he understands that.

No, Gibson doesn't pay me by the word.

In fact find that suggestion seriously objectionable, as was your unkind sarcasm.

Should we not resolve not to start something increasingly sarcastic that might result in us both being banned?

m

Hey Guys,

thank you very much, this is really a big help.

And right, I need a resolution of 300dpi. In general we are a Hard Rock and Heavy Metal magazine but from time to time we do some things about instruments as well. But it´s more for beginners and people who have a little bit interest in guitars, basses or drums, so people like you will not find anything new in it I think. The idea of the story was, that most of the rock fans pick up somewhen that the 1959 Gibson Les Paul is something like the holy grale of the guitars and a few people are willing to pay a few hundred thousand dollars to get one. But many people never get really deep into that and so they don´t know why these guitars are so special. Therefore I did an interview with a guy who is really deep into vintage guitars, who has running a small guitar shop and build good (affordable) replicas of Gibson- and Fender-style guitars and asked him, what´s so special on that guitar and vintage guitars in general. So we talked about nitrofinish, wood, collectors, investment....but sadly he had no pics of a real 59 (even if one of his customers owns one).

So thank you very much, I will let you know if I got a pic somewhere.

Greetings

Andreas

Gee Blue...

I didn't know you didn't believe in answering a question that has professional technical ramifications.

It would make the major difference between helping the initial poster or putting him on a wild goose chase.

Surf's question reflected he understands that.

No' date=' Gibson doesn't pay me by the word.

In fact find that suggestion seriously objectionable, as was your unkind sarcasm.

Should we not resolve not to start something increasingly sarcastic that might result in us both being banned?

m

[/quote']

Me bad. Sorry. I am having a bad day. That said, my response was uncalled for.

Blue...

Sorry it's been a bad day for you. Been there, done that far too often recently.

<sigh> 'n fact, I'm not so certain I'm not on one today myself.

Truly...

Dunno, but I think I need to do some pickin and relaxin' tonite.

And may also your day be better - I know I reeeeally could use a better end than beginning of this 24.

m

I requested some info on one a few days ago. Here is the response and contact info.

Hi,

Thanks for the e-mail.

This guitar is $375,000. It is original and in good condition.

Please feel free to contact me at the store if you have any questions.

Best regards,

Anoush

Hollywood Vintage Collection

Guitar Center Hollywood

7425 Sunset Blvd

Hollywood, CA 90046

Tel: 323-874-2302

Tel: 323-874-1060

Fax:323-969-9783

Here is the product information -

prod ID = 104821841

product name = 1959 9 LES PAUL