Gibson Brands Forums

vox 50v

dvir

Not sure, but I think you're refering to a Vox AD-50VT. I own one myself and here's my opinion of it:

Pros

* Great tones are available from very low to extremely high volumes.

* Wide variety of tones from classic to metal

* Not too heavy to lug around

* Great price

Cons

* Not so easy to switch tones in mid song or "on the fly"

* Some of the amp models are very bassy/muddy IMO and you need to really set the treble on 9 or 10

* It's a little tricky to get a totally clean sound. Really, the only amp model I've found that stays pristine clean at high volumes is the Boutique Clean setting (Dumble clone)

* Although the tones are very good, I can still hear a little of that "transistery"sound.

Bottom line, great home amp, but I wouldn't want to gig with it unless I was going to pretty much leave it on the same setting all night.

Edit: Man that was wierd. I entered this thread in the Les Paul section and emerged in The Lounge :-k

My local pawn shop has 2 Vox 100v @ $199 and $220. The 199 for cosmetic reasons.

I think I am going to pick one up. I have a small DA now and love it.

Saturn makes a great point about adjustmets on the fly, but I don't do any pro gigs

so its really not an issue for me.

Vox and Marshall are just different. Can't really say ones better than the other. They both have their different strong points.

Personally I prefer Vox.

I was gonna get a NightTrain for a while, but I realized I would be better off with a Vox AC30CC2.

I'd completely happy with the CC1 but I guess I'd just rather have the CC2.

It depends on what amps you're talking about.

If you're talking about the valvestate modeling Vox amps vs. solid state MG series Marshalls then I'd go with the Vox.

Personally I don't like digital modeling. I'd rather have an amp that sounds amazing but only does a few things than an amp that does a million decent sounds.

Vox and Marshall both have some pretty inexpensive all tube combos. The new Marshall Class 5 looks perfect for your needs. Vox has some great relatively cheap tube amps also. I don't know the names of the Vox I'm thinking of.

What is your budget?

Absolutely.

I also recommend you bring your main guitar in to test the amps. That way you know what your guitar will sound like through it if you buy it.

Try out as many amps as you can. You might be surprised by what you like. I recommend a simple all tube combo.

My Vox just threw up' date=' I guess I will be getting a new amp tomorrow. damit

Oh yea, the Bears suck I don't know how they won 4 games[/quote']

Don't get me started, they are downright terrible, i have no idea how they even can go out and play every week [angry]

What Vox did you have? I am looking to get a Night Train and hope it isn't that one.....

Saturn is right about the ad -50vt. I like it for home practice because I can fiddle with the effects and dont have pedals cluttering my floor. Its also nice to have the wattage knob in the back so I can turn down the output without losing my gain and distortion or my wife.

I gig with my fender.

Vox and Marshall are just different. Can't really say ones better than the other. They both have their different strong points.+1

Personally I prefer Vox. +1

I was gonna get a NightTrain for a while' date=' but I realized I would be better off with a Vox AC30CC2.+1 (I got the AC30 first a couple of years ago and now have a nigthrain too)

I'd completely happy with the CC1 but I guess I'd just rather have the CC2. +1

You read my mind man... those were the exact words I was about to post.

Damn telepaths... :-s

Archived