Gibson Brands Forums

Touch Sensitive amps/playing

djroge1

I watched this video on the thread about "small amps, big tone" and got to wondering...

When you buy an amp, do this "touch sensitivity" make any difference? I guess another way of asking is, what do you look for in an amp?

Check out the video if you don't know what I mean my touch sensitivity.

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

First, I look for that quality in a guitar. I know some players are going to say "Yeah, right" but either you get it or you don't.

For amps, I play loud rock and roll so touchy-feely is nice but not a requirement but I do look for it. My philosophy is that if you use enough gain, you have plenty of compression happening for that sensitivity feel. Additionally, I think that that quality in an amp can go too far depending on the style of music you play; I play mostly hard rock/pop these days and, even though my Mesa has the option for either a solid state or tube rectifier, I keep it set at solid state because tube just gets to be too much sag which ends up being mud.

I'm not sold on the guitar has as much to do with the touch sensitivity as the amp.

I say that because you can play soft and get clean and then play harder to get disortion out of a good tube amp with almost any guitar. But you cannot take the same guitar and plug into any old amp and do the same thing.

I look for quality' date=' 100% tube and the fewer the knobs the better.

Some of the new amps out there have 30+ buttons and knobs to tweak. I wanna play, not think.[/quote']

+1. My sentiments exactly. Amps are, first and foremost, for projecting sound--and tubes sound sweeter, simply put. The only knobs I need are volume and EQ, on the guitar and the amp (well...OK. I like reverb too...)

It's that dynamic thing, where I can play soft and it's almost clean (especially with a Strat) - or I can hit it hard and it crunches (especially with a Les Paul). Also I should be able to coax it into a nice harmonic feedback.

My Blue Angel is the most "TOUCH SENSITIVE" amp I've ever gigged. I gigged last night with it in the 15 watt, tube rectifier mode. Cranked.

In this mode, it is using 2;6V6's, and a GZ34.

In larger clubs, I can flip the switch and use 4;EL84's.

I can also combine the 6 (power) tubes............

Randall Smith made a fine amp with the Blue Angel. It's a shame he quit after that......

Archived