Gibson Brands Forums

Other instruments that you love?

Shnate McDuanus

As a solo instrument (and after sax and voice - in no particular order):

Saxophone, voice, violin, piano, organ, bass, cello, trumpet, trombone, flugelhorn, flute, vibraphone, clavinet, bandoneon, steel drums, sitar, balalaika, and probably more that I will think of as soon as I click "post".

As a background instrument: just about anything as long as it's played well.

Life is too short to listen to either one instrument or one kind of music.

Insights and incites by Notes

I enjoy most instruments, Piano, brass, woodwinds and strings. Even the banjo has a unique tone that I enjoy. The Cello also has a pleasing quality when played correctly.

However, one can always get too much oboe and English horn. I firmly believe they were invented to play to torturees who've been sent to the rack to listen to as their vertebrae pops out the tempo.

One instrument I absolutely love the sound of is the sitar,I could sit back and listen to Ravi Shankar all day long. Although I have a vintage combo organ(Teischord)a Yamaha PSR 38 and a Yamaha CS 01 synthesizer I've always wanted a Hammond B-3 with a Leslie 860(I think that's the model no.)the big one.A few months ago I could have bought a 59 M-3 which is called the "Baby B-3"for $100 but unfortunately my music room just doesn't have the space and if I tried to put it in the living room I would have caused a nuclear meltdown with my better half.I guess you have to be married to relate to that.Anyway that's my favourite non guitar instruments....oops I forgot I love violin every guitarist should buy Itzhak Perlman playing Paganini's 24 Caprices And Elliott Fisk's adaptation of them for guitar,both recordings are the epitome of virtuosity.

----------------------------------------------

Does Dolbro count?

Dobro?

Indeed it does.

I would have to say that Dobro makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up almost as often as electric guitar.

Something about that slinky metallic tone, especially with a slide - heavenly....

Jerry Douglas, anybody?

Piano was my first love. Mom studied in a music conservatory to master piano.

Grandpa played violin, so I respect the instrument as it demands more discipline than others, I think.

Those two get me going the most.

There's a special place in my heart for La Puerca, La Viguela and various other string guitars of different dimensions used in mariachi music. I am from Jalisco :-

I wanted to play the drums as a kid, but the parents would have none of that so I ended up with the guitar instead. I never really lost the interest for drums though and one day when I got into RTF and heard Lenny White I decided that one day I will own a kit and learn how to lay down grooves like that even if I have to practise until my hands fall off.

Sadly, with apartment living and such that day hasn't come yet.

I also wish I could play piano/keyboards/organs with some proficiency.

Archived