Gibson Brands Forums

What's on the turntable...?

Lowdown

Anyone been digging anything new music wise lately or even just revisiting old favourites that they've updated?

Me...I just bought the CD of John Mayall & EC's Bluesbreakers finally. Supoibuh! Lovin' it![biggrin]

Had the album for years and meant to update to CD but kept putting it off 'til yesterday along with...

George Thorogood & The Delaware Destroyers' Greatest [angry] another maybe tomorrow was(I'm sorry to say since I love to hate him but am in awe of his 2nd. & 3rd. albums)John Mayer's Battle Studies. Now at first I thought this is really bad. But it's growing on me after the 3rd. listen,still nowhere up there with Continuum or Heavier Things,but...like I said,it's growing on me. The song he does with Taylor Swift is cool. Really suits her. Hope she don't turn out to be another Britney...

Oh yeah,also have to give a mention to The Darkness-rediscovered them again...shame they self-destructed.[lol]

Anyways...what about you blokes/sheilas out there?...:-k

Lowdown...

Since I got back from a city council meeting... on the netbook computer dedicated to music... <grin>

A couple Mozart things, two Bach things, some practice stuff of my own I recorded to feel what I wanna change in the arrangements followed by Kessel doing one of the same pieces (Autumn Leaves, if you must know <grin>) some Roy Buchanan, some BB, some Ian Tyson "cowboy" stuff, right now some electric blues, then some Whitney Houston, more BB, Sultans of Swing, a couple 1939 Larry Clinton swing things ... Some Clapton old blues stuff, a little Muddy Waters and a Magic Slim... Billy Joel's Piano Man...

I think I'll get more bluegrassy and swingie for the rest of the night while I bang out another 500 words on a project. Doc Watson right now, in fact.

m

My cd player contains *blush

Spice Girls. No joke' date=' I friggin love them.[/quote']

No shame. I own Ricky Martin's CD just because I think "Livin' la Vida Loca" is a totally badass tune and have KC & the Sunshine Band's "Greatest Hits" because they ROCK.

As for new music, nothing has caught my ear lately but I haven't been exactly looking for it either.

Yeah mate' date='I got Chickenfoot too and was really,really surprised to hear Joe sit back like he did. I gotta tell ya,Vai should take more lessons from him.

Joe knows the most important #1 rule - play FOR the song. Not AGAINST the song.

[/quote']

+1!

You're da man Lowdown! You nailed it!

Most recent CD purchases:

ZZ Top - Eliminator

Steve Vai - Anthology

John Mayall's Blusbreakers with Eric Clapton - Beano

Skid Row - Slave to the Grind

Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver linings

Note for the last one: commercially is their most successful album ever. IMHO, it's their absolute worst! I have no idea how Roadrunner did this, but it's all up to them, not DT! So dissapointed... for the others: I can't get enough of The Reverend (I got to learn playing ''Sharp dressed man'' soon!). And Skid Row are among the most under-rated bands of all time. Them and ''Cinderella''...

You've got some great music there Hector.

How great is it to dive into The Bluesbreakers huh! Whoah.

Slave To The Grind is an underrated album in my book. Got that years ago when it was released and I still play it now. Have you heard there version of Little Wing from the B-Side Ourselves album. Killer.

Tom Keifer has an amazing collection,if not 1 of THE best,of guitars and amps. I love Long Cold Winter(? is that right). Another underrated album.

Good stuff mate.

What's funny about liking "Livin' la Vida Loca" is that, the first time I heard the song, I was at a club and a cover band was playing it and I was just blown away by it. I asked the girl I was with at the time who originally played the song and she told me it was Ricky Martin. I had never heard of him but I knew I liked that song a lot so I bought the CD. There are a couple of other good songs on the album but nothing like that one.

Yeah mate' date='I got Chickenfoot too and was really,really surprised to hear Joe sit back like he did. I gotta tell ya,Vai should take more lessons from him.

Joe knows the most important #1 rule - play FOR the song. Not AGAINST the song.

[/quote']

I was also very impressed that Satch was able to take a back seat and not be the spotlight of the show. One thing I have noticed is that they have really fallen off the face of the earth; you don't hear anything about them anymore.

Right now, I am listening to Them Crooked Vultures, another "supergroup" with Dave Grohl, John Paul Jones and Josh Homme. They got some decent stuff going on. Also listening to Foo Fighters, BB King, and some other randomness mixed in.

For some reason, when I put my iPod on shuffle, almost every single Beatles song I own pops up at least every other song [drool]

You've got some great music there Hector.

How great is it to dive into The Bluesbreakers huh! Whoah.

Slave To The Grind is an underrated album in my book. Got that years ago when it was released and I still play it now. Have you heard there version of Little Wing from the B-Side Ourselves album. Killer.

Tom Keifer has an amazing collection' date='if not 1 of THE best,of guitars and amps. I love Long Cold Winter(? is that right). Another underrated album.

Good stuff mate.[/quote']

''Long Cold Winter'' is probably one of the greatest debuts in modern rock's history, IMHO. Huge band and a hell of a singer / songwriter / guitar player that kid! And what a tone... We're on the same page Lowdown![sneaky]

[biggrin] Don't step down Rich.Stand your ground.

All's cool mate. [sneaky]

Sh*t I love dragging out Bananarama some nights. True. I'm a sucker for a good pop song.[wink]

No way am I stepping down! I dig that song. [cool]

Never got much into Bananarama except for "Venus" and I like the original version of that song too.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRxZqb0SlLg[/YOUTUBE]

''Long Cold Winter'' is probably one of the greatest debuts in modern rock's history' date=' IMHO. Huge band and a hell of a singer / songwriter / guitar player that kid! And what a tone... We're on the same page Lowdown![cool']

I agree on all points except the debut part. "Long Cold Winter" wasn't their first album, "Night Songs" is. According to a friend of mine, I saw Cinderella play at this metal club we used to hang at but I don't remember it (not surprising - the 80's were a blurry time).

I agree on all points except the debut part. "Long Cold Winter" wasn't their first album' date=' "Night Songs" is. According to a friend of mine, I saw Cinderella play at this metal club we used to hang at but I don't remember it (not surprising - the 80's were a blurry time).[/quote']

[cool][sneaky]

ok, man, noted! I have to re-check my dates then! No need to mention how envious I am of you, for getting to see the live... Even that blur wouldn't bother me [biggrin] !

Speaking of turntables, my ex-neighbour, a Scottsman and an ex-RAF pilot, left me his record collection before moving out. Talking about 30-40 records, in an average condition I'm afraid, including the best of Simon & Garfunkel (Big Bill!). I already have around 20 of my own, which I never play, due to the... lack of a turntable.

Perhaps Santa is about to get us one for Christmas, since my wife also wished we had one to play all these records... :-

I bought the new George Thorogood and the Destroyers, Dirty Dozen.

12 songs, 6 are new 6 are old. I have his greatest hits and only 1 song repeats.

His version of Tail Dragger is absolutely killer, there is also Born Lover with rambonctious overdriven slide.

I have been also listening to Buckcherry's CD and Black Sabbath Technical Ectasy and Sabotage albums.

#-o :-

ok' date=' man, noted! I have to re-check my dates then! No need to mention how envious I am of you, for getting to see the live... Even that blur wouldn't bother me [biggrin !

I did get to see them "again" later; I saw them open up for David Lee Roth in Philadelphia after Roth left Van Halen and did that first solo tour. David Lee Roth, Steve Vai, Billy Sheehan and Greg Bissonette - HELLUVA show!

Archived