Gibson Brands Forums

Pitbulls and guitar forums

Cruznolfart

Ol' Skid the Awesome Pitbull was pretty much the best damn dog who ever partnered up with me. He was brought into my life in a cardboard box, a runt-of-the-litter parking lot reject from the local Safeway lot. Nobody wanted him. Nobody except my 19 year old son who was at that time one foot in the door and one foot out on his own.

I had a dog. A wonderful Chocolate Lab named Irish Velvet. Excellent companion/watch-dog/solitaire-buddy. When my son suggested he'd like to get a dog I told him emphatically (ever notice how little effect that has?) that I didn't want another dog on the place. I said he could wait 'till he had his own place. The pitbull showed up that afternoon in his arms.

Well, Skid, named for the scar running from the front of his forehead to the back of his skull...(who knows?), became MY dog in very short order. The boy moved on down the road with ne'er so much as a fare-thee-well and left the dog to my care. A couple years later he made some mention of coming over to get "his" dog and I told him he didn't have one. Case closed.

So Skid. Raised gentle. Raised with tons of love and good training. Socialized very early on. An excellent dog around people...as long as they're the good kind. But after Irish died, Skid was completely intolerant of any other animals. I knew this. I did the best I could to live with it and protect other critters from getting hurt. I worried often about Skid getting away and being shot by someone with no Pitbull tolerance (there's a lot of 'em). But he never hurt anyone and he never seriously hurt another animal. Because, in a large part, of my care and discipline.

Yet still, some people would call a dog like Skid "vicious".

Pits aren't vicious. They like to rumble and they throw everything they've got into it. They're tough as nails and damn good fighters. They neither show nor expect mercy. But that's their NATURE...provided someone hasn't ruined the dog with cruelty and made it sketchy and dangerous. Don't take me to task for defending dog-fighting; that's not what this is about. I don't support such cruelty. Rattlesnakes bite, Pitbulls fight. It is what it is.

Anyway, one of the main reasons ol' Skid the Awesome Pitbull lived his 12 1/2 years happily was because I worked hard to prevent and forestall any unpleasantness in his life due to his nature. It wasn't always easy. But it was, in the long run, well worth it. He's been gone 6 years and I miss him every day. He took good care of Mrs. Cruzn when I was gone. I miss that.

Back to the point. I'd say modding this group is a bit like owning a whole damn bunch of Pitbulls. If you KNOW something's going to get hinky, the only responsible and sensible thing to do is stop it before it starts...before it takes 3 men and a small boy to stop it. That's not interfering, that's good management. I don't resent it, I appreciate it and admire the patience and foresight it must take.

Thanks, mods, and please try to forgive Axe for his kitten-pooping, puppy killing ways. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and question his toilet-training. [cool]

Back to the point. I'd say modding this group is a bit like owning a whole damn bunch of Pitbulls. If you KNOW something's going to get hinky' date=' the only responsible and sensible thing to do is stop it before it starts...before it takes 3 men and a small boy to stop it. That's not interfering, that's good management. I don't resent it, I appreciate it and admire the patience and foresight it must take.

Thanks, mods, and please try to forgive Axe for his kitten-pooping, puppy killing ways. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and question his toilet-training. [cool

I don't think it's that vicious at all[confused]LOL!!! ...... There are other forums that are 100x more brutal than this place[blink]

And even with our more "enigmatic members"[biggrin] LOL.... for the most part they have a help first mentality when a fellow member needs some solid advice, whether it's about gear or life[cool]

I can't think of any member here that has had cause or warranted a warning to be banned, (at least not by me)...... After all we are a bunch of crazy musicians[cool]

I don't think it's that vicious at all[confused]LOL!!! ...... There are other forums that are 100x more brutal than this place[blink]

And even with our more "enigmatic members"[biggrin] LOL.... for the most part they have a help first mentality when a fellow member needs some solid advice' date=' whether it's about gear or life[cool']

I can't think of any member here that has had cause or warranted a warning to be banned, (at least not by me)...... After all we are a bunch of crazy musicians[cool]

Yeah, I don't think of this place as vicious, either. More like a washing machine with some rugs in it. Once in awhile you gotta rearrange things in it to keep it from shaking itself apart. Balance. :-

You got that "crazy" part right! [blink]

He can have the job. Guaranteed to make you a pariah.

LOl!!!!:-

Ya' date=' I noticed we didn't make anyone's "Christmas Hang-out List."[crying'] [blink] LOL!!!

I'm thinking they're just intimidated by our virtuoso guitar skills:-k ....... I know I scare myself some days[blush]

Ya' date=' I noticed we didn't make anyone's "Christmas Hang-out List."[crying'] [blink] LOL!!!

What the...you mean there wasn't a management jam? bandsmilie.gif

I'm thinking they're just intimidated by our virtuoso guitar skills:-k ....... I know I scare myself some days[blush]

Give it a few years. It'll happen every time you look in the mirror! jawdropsmilie.gif

Beautiful story about Skid, Cruzn. Pitbulls are wonderful animals when they're bred with care, affection and tolerance--at least about as much as with any other breed.

As for the mods, we all know I have no complaints. They have one hell of a difficult job, regardless of all the modesty they exude.

After all, they've got to deal with this:

Neva%20pups%20030.JPG

Beautiful story about Skid' date=' Cruzn. Pitbulls are wonderful animals when they're bred with care, affection and tolerance--at least about as much as with any other breed.

As for the mods, we all know I have no complaints. They have one hell of a difficult job, regardless of all the modesty they exude.

After all, they've got to deal with this:

[img']http://www.ragingstormkennel.com/8%20week%20Neva%20Pups/Neva%20pups%20030.JPG[/img]

LOL! Love 'em, Steamin' demon! Thanks!

He was, I think, the 2nd person I mentioned in mine. He's a great guy / dog-trainer / son-raiser as it seems!

Thanks for a very nice story Cruz. I really enjoyed reading it. And have some very nice points / subjects touched in it.

He was' date=' I think, the 2nd person I mentioned in mine. He's a great guy / dog-trainer / son-raiser as it seems!

Thanks for a very nice story Cruz. I really enjoyed reading it. And have some very nice points / subjects touched in it. [/quote']

Hector, I thank you for your kind invitation to jam as well as your very generous appraisal of my talents. I believe Duane V is referring to himself and KSDaddy as being overlooked on the Christmas jam thread. Although I suspect most of us would enjoy their contributions as much as those of anyone else. It's all good. [biggrin]

I'm glad you enjoyed my doggie tale, Hector, thanks for telling me.

Thanks Cruz' for that interesting story and that lesson in life! BTW' date=' I never believed a lab could come along with a pitbull...[biggrin] [/quote']

Yr' welcome, Kriss, glad you enjoyed it. Our Lab was about 3 years old when the Pitbull came. She became his surrogate mother. Whenever he got a little TOO playful with me she'd nip his cheek. He never got mad at her. He could have hurt her at any time. Never even growled at her. All our grand-children were very little when we had him...they adored him. He became very gentle when he played with them. With me, he'd knock me off my mountain bike! LOL!

Nice story about your pitbull. I'm a big fan of the bull-terrier breeds myself. Sadly I work long days and I'd hate to leave a dog alone like that 5 days per week' date=' so no dogs for me yet. Someday though![/quote']

You're very wise to acknowledge your schedule as being contrary to having a well-adjusted terrier. They take a LOT of attention. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you to eventually have a more amenable schedule and a great dog.

Archived