Gibson Brands Forums

Fighting the fat and staying fit for 2010

Duende

In late 2003 I was 250 or so. I quit drinking altogether and went (more or less) on the Atkins diet. I ate horrible breakfasts, generally a plate full of microwave sausage patties and cheese. Lunch was one of those carb bars and a carb shake. That was at the peak of the whole Atkins thing and the bars/shakes were easy to find; K-Mart had a whole freakin' rack of them. Supper was usually all meat, chicken, tuna straight from the can.... not a lot of structure but the general low carb guidelines were followed. In less than a year I went down to 190. My pants went from 42 to an honest 36 with some 34s (on good days).

I never did drink again but I began eating normally again. Now I'm 225 and absolutely miserable.

I think I could lose a little if I could just figure out why I eat when I eat. All morning long, I can (and do) eat anything available. Donuts, junk, garbage food..... yet at supper time I have to choke down a meager plate of food and then I'm half sick the rest of the evening.

Hi Ksdaddy

I am really sad to read you are miserable. Have you spoken to doctors or dieticians how you feel?

Just thinking out loud and I am sorry if these are obvious things you have tried and have not worked,' but have you tried having fruit around as the food you pick at?

Also,

Re- The Atkins and other modern fad diets- I don't like them because I think a diet is something that you have to be able to live with for your whole life, not just until you get the fat off. Also depression can be suffered on them because your body gets starved of necessary chemicals that your mind needs for well being and happiness!

Ksdaddy, I know we are all very different, but aside from, eating five portions of fruit and veg a day, I eat all the things I have always loved. Pizza, pasta, enchalados, Indian Curry's, fries and even strawberry ice cream! I just eat less of them than when I was heavier[cool]

I know though how much fat and calories there are in everything I eat and don't go over 2400 calories a day. If I do then I eat less the next day.

I am really interested to hear what you have tried and Godbless ya x

Matt

I know of a lot of people who went on the Atkins diet and then gained a lot weight once then got off of it; even more than what they started with. The South Beach diet is a more balanced one. It's just a matter of eating less. My body doesn't crave the big meals anymore. The first month or so is hard but then it's actually not that bad. I didn't allow any sweets in the house because I love them (I could eat half a box of Oreos in one sitting). But now even though they are in the house I don't crave them. It's a lifestyle change and that ain't easy. Atkins allows you to pig out but there's only so much of that you can do before you start eating the carbs again.

... Yupper on the "lifestyle" thing and weight.

My genetic background is full of folks who were significantly overweight on my Dad's side. I was headed that way at age 28 and so made a significant decision to not let it happen to me. Dropped 25 lbs in three-four months...

The thing as Matt (Sear) mentioned is the whole lifestyle thing.

You can use the special diets to lose weight, but then a change also has to be made in a range of lifestyle things. I'm lucky in that for the past 20 years I can lose 10 in a cupla weeks simply by telling myself I will. I honestly don't even notice that I eat differently or anything.

But that didn't happen either overnight or without some ... deep physical and mental ... lifestyle changes. I can also drop or raise my bp by wanting to. It's a matter of significant "will" and a bit of training along with genetics and other factors.

As for young guys who think gaining weight and losing the health of youth doesn't affect them... My worst years for getting from excellent condition to horrid condition were between ages 21-28, and largely because I was skinny and thought I'd always be.

m

My down fall is buffet style food. Whether a family pot-luck or a smorgasboard steak-house. My daddy many times said that the bad thing about Smorgasboard restaurants is that we have a tendency to eat until we show a profit. And at $9.00 a plate, I make a profit. The other buffet style food is the chocolate carp the women folk at work set out during 'the season'. I know I should just walk on by, but well, 'one chocolate chip cookie won't hur... oh, they have the macadamianut ones.. and the snickerdoodles... well maybe just one.... of each. I got no one to blame but my self, but they really should outlaw gratuitous food at work.

The Holiday season is over and I have been quite profitable. My medical chart has 'M.O. written at the top. I want to think it means 'moderately overweight', but I know better.

My biggest mistake was not replacing the bathroom scales 30 years ago when it broke. I never 'saw' that I was getting 'big' until some nitwit (me) installed a full length mirrored shower door. It's been a battle ever since.

I just ate a dozen chocolate chip cookies' date=' a bag of salt and vinegar potato chips and drank 2 liters of coca-cola, while sitting on my couch watching "30 Rock".........and I'm not fat

This thread has made me appreciate my youth SOOO much

so....thanks?[/quote']

Ha! Yeah, enjoy it now, 'cause it will change. I'm still in shock, but it totally happens. All of a sudden - where the hell did my abs go!?? A desk job and age will do it to you. I agree with all the "lifestyle" comments. Thank God for a wife who makes eating right taste great, but I still had to take up freaking running - which I hate - in order to arrest the slide.

On the plus side is what Milod points out - once you change the way you live, you can be a healthy animal for the rest of your life. And I bet people tell him how "lucky" he is to not be overweight like the rest of his family...

I do sometimes battle with "everything in moderation" and then William Blake's "The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom" LOL

I do think with diet and/or healthy living goals they are of course life long, but also can only be achieved (like the guitar) with a serious mind and really desiring to achieve your goal. That means sacrifices and of course some hard little choices along the way too.

An example;

in pizza hut earlier today, there was the choice of the buffet (I will only have that if I am first one there; once it has been tainted by human hands the food is dead to me LOL) as well as several meal deals.

We all know that meal deals mean!! You spend a little more than you were going to, but get a lot more on your plate.

I considered this but then though; screw it. Even if my small pizza and garlic bread costs the same as a deal that gets me a large pizza, side and refillable drink I will get what I need not what I think I need.

It is not easy!! I love pizza but if there is 8 slices there I will eat them. If there is 4 slices I will eat them and feel full.

I mentioned this earlier but it is very helpful too, drinking a couple of big glasses of water or soft drink while you eat. It makes you feel much fuller and satisfied.

Anyway got to run! Teaching, off to the gym and then a nice glass of Italian red while I watch Eastenders and play my classical guitar[cool]

Matt

I've never had to lose weight. I've been active and have exercised since I was in high school which was the early 60's. . About 20 years ago I started going to the gym 3 times a week or so and my weight went up about 15 lbs to my current wieght. I'm now 6' tall and weigh 186. I walk 1 1/2 miles most mornings and still get to the gym 2 or 3 times a week. I feel sorry for those who are struggling with their weight because it has been fairly easy for me.

I've resolved to eat 5% fewer dounts this year! (MAN' date=' what a sacrafice!)[/quote']

LOL jam doughnuts are nice especially[cool]

Like I posted previously; I still eat all the things I like, ie jellybeans, ginger bread men, doughnuts etc...I just have less of them and still eat five portions of fruit and veg a day and exercise.

My friend from Nicole, on another forum, even drinks Vodka instead of beer with diet lemonade. How is that for being on it!

Matt

LOL jam doughnuts are nice especially[cool]

Like I posted previously; I still eat all the things I like' date=' ie jellybeans, ginger bread men, doughnuts etc...I just have less of them and still eat five portions of fruit and veg a day and exercise.

My friend from Nicole, on another forum, even drinks Vodka instead of beer with diet lemonade. How is that for being on it!

Matt

[laugh] Matty,that's me mate! Except I drink my rum with diet ginger beer.[drool]

I had a pretty hard core Festivus,but I'm back on track now.

Was always a skinny little turd but the blubber all started appearing as if by magic over night the older I got until one day I was told my cholesterol was too high so I had to start eating more healthier and watching what I threw down my neck.

Luckily,I've been blessed with strong will power so it ain't been a prob.

Though...I bought an all in 1 weight machine thingy that I used for a week and now is a dis/attraction for my boys.

I love that Seinfeld episode with Kenny..."Look at me Jerry. I'm HUGE!" [lol] Classic.

LOL

I took a look at myself in the mirror in 2007, after weighing in at a hefty 200 + lbs and staring back at me was Marshmellow man from Ghost busters![drool]

I thought, "NO WAY am I going to allow this to happen!" I think in your mid thirties too; in a man's life, it is the danger spot from here on that the metabolism slows and it can all too easily creep up.

The only recent consolation is I am 6ft 1" and not 6ft like I thought...

that extra one inch, means two and a half pounds extra is allowed for my ideal weight.[cool]

Weighing in 188 lbs and 6ft 1 as of today. Going to get back to 182 lbs and then maintaining it for 2010... as the amazing x factor winner Shane Warn sang "that's my goal" (tosser!!)

Matt

Weighing in 188 lbs and 6ft 1 as of today. Going to get back to 182 lbs and then maintain it for 2010; as the amazing x factor winner Shane Warn sang "that's my goal" (tosser!!)

Matt

Damn' date='6ft. is big mate. We're all squirts here in Oz. Oompah loompahs.[drool "What,you call that a prawn(or shrimp for you yanks).

Was that Shane Warne? Sure it weren't Brett Lee? Cricket bores me ta tears sorry(typical muso-hate sports)but I recall Brett Lee doing some lame arsed song like that...[cool]

• 10 months later...

I am curious with this thread as the year is coming to an end. Did anyone achieve their goal this year? Did anyone go the opposite way?

I have stayed loyal to the gym, going twice a week and also i walk everywhere too. My body doesn't seem to like being much less than 182 lbs (I am currently 186). I am feeling good though and have still managed to eat fries, ice cream and fun things this year without it screwing things up.

Matt

Yes Matt, I have kept up my weight loss goals for the year of A.D. 2009. I lost what was not necessary, and have gained what is important. The weight I grieve, so much depends on the weather, and it rains upon me biblically, hammers, of which I ultilize to demonstrate my determination to remain alive, survive, and remain so. The weight I grieve, much depends upon my health, and I am blessed with a balance, of which, is cohesive, honest, and is forward thinking. The " FAT " of the past is now past, and the weight I now carry, this year, and have carried this year, may continue; for are there any of us who need to jettison excess weight from the past year ? The weight one maintains, should balance what one's soul, mind, and well being is in conjunction with the realities of one's physical weight, looks, self image, and self esteem... For those of you who have lost weight according to your plans, I salute you...For those who will continue to maintain a plan of physical health, I salute you.........For those of you who accept yourselves as real, I salute you. For those of you who do not present yourselves behind false facades, I salute you. For to be alive in the first place, is essentinal for all of the preceding to be possible...Stay alive, be healthy, be good, play guitar, and for crying out loud buy at least one new Gibson this year for yourself, as it will make you feel better................

Me myself ??? I'm just a cork sniffin' luddite drinkin' the kool-aid pretending I don't care about you all...I look damn good for my age, love life, work out everyday, weigh 164 lbs without my gal on top of me, I ain't bald, my moral compass still works, and the only weight I am going to gain this year is 10+ years of 1959-LP re-issue beauty, and the weight of worrying about you all, 'cause I kinda like ya all; but it doesn't weigh on me at all........bah humbug....damn posters.....jeeeez.....threaders...!!!

I am curious with this thread as the year is coming to an end. Did anyone achieve their goal this year? Did anyone go the opposite way?

I have stayed loyal to the gym, going twice a week and also i walk everywhere too. My body doesn't seem to like being much less than 182 lbs (I am currently 186). I am feeling good though and have still managed to eat fries, ice cream and fun things this year without it screwing things up.

Matt

I'm doing okay. Running a little less, but added some calisthenics on a sort-of regular basis and feel pretty healthy without worrying too much about what I eat. (Again, the wife's cooking helps a lot. [thumbup] )

Got on the scale the other day, weighed 165lbs. I dodn't drop as much weight this past summer.

I didn't play as much softnall (and no baseball- except for occasionally chasing flyballs).

I "banged up" an already sore knee and was limited to playing, around, 36 games.

Still walk all the time, but it's not as much fun (or exercise) as playing ball.

If my schedule and my knees allow it I'm going to try ice skating, definitely NO hockey, again this winter.

Matt...

I've had a mentally stressful year, but no more or less physical stress than usual. Weight's still about the same - plus or minus a cupla points around 160 pounds.

I won't say why I won't get deeply into discussion on this or how I "learned" some of the lessons (it was intentional and calculated), but frankly the "wall" people hit is largely between their ears, not in their working out schedules or caloric intake. The mind unchanged is what brings the body to a wall. It's also what brings weight gains when one drops a "diet" or changes training.

But one might consider that proof the the importance of the entire mind set is how those with truly "split personalities" will often be found even to have somewhat differing body chemistry in those different personalities.

m

Retirement in January made it a little harder so I gained a few pounds ok 6-7 pounds but at 6'4" that's not to much. But what the hell everybody is always talking about staying in shape but rounds a shape isn't it?

When I was in my late twenties I went on a crash diet and lost 122 pounds but for some reason people said she didn't really count although she sure felt like a lead weight on my back. Divorce really should count as a diet not only do you get rid of the dead weight thatis so unhealthy but you also trim down all your possessions I know that year I lost almost half of everything.

Archived