Gibson Brands Forums

Fighting the fat and staying fit for 2010

Duende

Firstly a very happy new year to everyone!! I am very excited about 2010 and hope it fares well for all.

I don't know how many other gym users there are here; but with 2010 around the corner if you are out of shape a little then I couldn't recommend a more worthwhile resolution![crying] Any tips from other men and women who work out would be really appreciated.

I started using the gym, as two years ago, I weighed myself and was shocked to see I was 210 lbs! Anyway just by a few tiny changes within a year I was down to 182 lbs.

Nowadays I use the gym twice weekly, as well as doing shopping by hand (a good walk with heavy shopping bags is great exercise!); plus I now get off the bus a couple of stops early and walk the remaining distance to work. I still eat my favourite things like pizza and drink alcohol too, but I also exercise regularly and eat five portions of fruit and vegetables daily.

I noticed too that I get ill far less and have more creative energy too [crying] Being overweight is just bad news for your life expectancy, general health and also well being not to mention your wallet and appearance.

Anyway here are some good gym tips I found

http://www.maxim.co.uk/fitness/fittips/2218/15_top_gym_mistakes.html

Calorie counter help and recommendations

http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk/logout/calorie_intake.htm

(Some simple tips too are to drink a pint of water before you eat to stop you over eating[cool])

Matt

I just went from 235 down to 190. Got in a bad habit of eating to late at

night. I have a workout room in the basement. Free weights, Bike,

heavy bag and speed bag. I had never been over weigh and it just

crept up on me. I made up my mind that I would have the weight off

by the new year and I've made it . I work out everyday. Just light weight

and lots of reps for just 30 min. I moved my old turn table and speakers

down to the work out room and have been rocking to Foghat, Old ZZ, Savoy

Brown, The Who, and all kinds of great old rock. I feel 100% better.

I eat regular meals nothing at night. I sleep better also. The dogs are in

better shape due to nightly walks they go on with me. Just a big plus all the

way around. My big nightly weakness was Picnic cake. I loved the frosting

and would not eat one piece but the whole cake. LOL Good post Matt.

CW

Happy New Year to you too, Matt; great thread!

I haven't been to a gym in around 3 years and I've been paying the price for it. I'm now around 195 lbs., up from 160 lbs. which is a lot for a guy who's 5'8" and of medium build. So, I really need to get my butt in gear and do *something*. Ironically, I live just a half a block from the boardwalk along the Atlantic Ocean so it's not like I even have an excuse except that it's pretty crappy outside this time of the year but I think I'm going to just put on a hat and gloves and start walking.

I am at 5'8" and 170 pounds, I have been in a 10 pound range for th last 15 years 160-170 pounds.

I used to work out religiously and although I do not anymore mainly due to back issues I do keep a lot of healthy habits.

I gain weight on my face first, so even if I get 5 pounds on me I look like crap so I take action.

My goal is to lose 5 punds and keep it off, make my new standard weight 165 instead of 170 pounds.

My wife and I hike, theer are a few large parks within the Nashville area so we drive 10 - 20 minutes and get and excellent hike right in town.

Yep. This is it for me. This is what I'm doing this year.

I'm aiming for 150-165, as my physician recommended to me as an acceptable range.

I'm a little self-conscious about where I am now, but you can be sure that it's not within that range.

I have a gym in my apartment building. I can get down there after school four out of five school days a week. I tried to get in shape about half a year ago, but I overtrained, and had to take about half a year off. It's going to work this time, though. I know what does and doesn't work now, so I think I can really do it this time around.

I used to go to the gym every morning. A change in work schedule killed that, so instead of being the buff 180 I was, I'm hanging around 195! Not good. Now I have a new excuse - the baby. I need to figure something out though.

Man, working out is as much a part of my life as playing music. If I go too long without working out I get crabby, lethargic, and super depressed. It also reeks havoc on my back. Between the mild scoliosis and my winged scapula, if I don't maintain strong core muscles my lower back and hips sit in chronic pain.

Back in the day we used to talk about gig weight. Only a few cats, like Meatloaf, could get away with being that big. Is that out of style now?

I just went from 235 down to 190.

CW

Well done' date=' that is good going cwness!

At the gym, there is a lovely girl who works there, who is so keen on fitness and she is just so encouraging to everyone and non judgemental too. She has become friends with my wife and I and is more like a personal trainer than a gym attendant!

In the first few months she did the exercises with me and every couple of weeks increased the routine. She is learning the piano and often we chat similarities between working out and practising. Motivation, posture, keeping goals, not letting any session be boring etc. They are very similar indeed[cool']

I enjoy working out to think through any problems or questions that are on my mind. Often too I practice the guitar in my mind too.

Happy new year again everyonex

Matt

I don't work out, I just work. Since last February I went from 220 lbs. to about 165. I went from 36" waist to 32". Work hard every day and eat and drink healthy. Working out is good, especially if your normal daily activities are somewhat sedentary. Mine are not. Great topic, Matt!

I'm 46 now. When I was in my early 30s, I weighed 160. I was 9% body fat, benched 350, and went for 5 mile walks everyday. I could lose my holiday fat in 3 weeks. Now, I weigh about 170, about 16% body fat, can't bench 250, and rarely exercise. I plan on getting fit for 2010, I've tried a few rpm classes at my local gym, and plan on making them part of my life. I'll never get back to where I was before, but I can't let myself go anymore.

I used to go to the gym every morning. A change in work schedule killed that' date=' so instead of being the buff 180 I was, I'm hanging around 195! Not good. Now I have a new excuse - the baby. I need to figure something out though.[/quote']

surfpup weight (sorry about the lousy pun) a bit... When the baby starts zipping around you'll get plenty of exercise..

I'm 5'10" about 168lbs, been there abouts for years. Weight goes up in the winter and down in the summer. Didn't used to change much as I ice-skated/played ice hockey (2 or 3 times a week) all winter, my knees don't want to do that anymore. Softball/baseball all summer (2 or 3 games a week) helps drop "winter" weight.

I am challenged by this myself...

I'm 6' tall and currently 235lbs....at my highest I was 245.....about 2 years ago I started eating smaller portions and eating more often. Simply by doing this, I lost 30lbs....

Unfortunately, with my recent move and being in "house limbo", I've been eating out a lot and not controlling my portions. I need to get back on that wagon again. I don't do well with exercise...its way too boring for me, even if i'm listening to tunes. I suppose I just need to get past that...i'm pretty weak lol!

I do think most recommended ideal weight suggestions are out of touch. For example there are chaps down the gym who weigh around 16 stone (224 lbs) and 5 foot 10; yet are 'obese'- according to the modern weight machines#-o . Yet they are solid muscle and look slimmer than an unfit person who may weigh less on the scales; but who is visually more than a little chubby.[biggrin]

Everyone seems so big these days; either big in the sense of overweight or just taller and..well..bigger! LOL

At school I was one of the tall ones being 6ft. Yet nowadays 6ft seems like an average height if the two schools I teach are anything to go by! There are laods of blokes who are 17/18 and 6ft 3ish kind of height, while the girls too are taller and well bigger too!

Matt

I don't work out' date=' I just work. Since last February I went from 220 lbs. to about 165. I went from 36" waist to 32". Work hard every day and eat and drink healthy. Working out is good, especially if your normal daily activities are somewhat sedentary. Mine are not. Great topic, Matt![/quote']

Nice job Cruz if you keep busy you can maintain a good weight. Thats what

started my gain. I woke up one morning and could barely walk my right

knee decided it wasn't going to work. I still don't now what happened it just

didn't want to walk. LOL Lack of activity started to take it toll. I started

working out to jump start my weight loss (I'm a network admin). Now I can bend

over and put my socks and shoes on without any difficulty. Don't get tried

as easy it tough getting old. I've always thought I 18 going on 19 but the sad reality

is that I'm 52 and I don't recover as fast. Again nice job.

CW

Great thread... Lousy day to bring this up... [biggrin]

I try to work out, at least 3 times a week and also try to have 4-5 meals of my week only salads. One great ip you asked: make sure EVERY of your 2 main meals of the day includes salad.

As far as work out is concerned, make sure that you find the one that suits you & your way of life. This will ensure that you don't get bored and you will stick to it longer.

Third tip: make sure you read a Men's Health issue every couple of months or so. It will keep you focused.

I"m starting a diet with my wife, as from tomorrow. Now I'm gonna check for left-overs in the fridge...[cool]

For me...

Figure I'm 64, a tad over 5-9 where once I was a tad under 5-10... <grin>

About 160-164. The only work "sick days" since 1965 have been from dental work.

(Absit omen since pride goeth before a fall.)

In another life I'd train anywhere from 2-8 hours, occasionally up to 12, 5-6 hours average daily in a seven-day week.

Now... I'm deskbound, beached and mostly do some tricks to keep the gut relatively tight. Too much body fat, imho, but changing fat percentage requires burning more calories than I really have time for in this life.

I'm convinced that keeping a tight abdomen is 60 percent or more of overall health, regardless how it gets that way.

m

Been through some ups and downs throughout my life. I lost 20 pounds about 10 years ago and managed to keep it off for the most part. I'm 5'8" and currently weigh 162, which is just where I want to be. At one point I was nearly 180. When I was biking a lot (30+ miles every other day) I got down to 153, which was too low in my opinion. I then balanced my workouts between biking, rollerblading, weight training, etc. I felt great but then had major back problems.

I haven't been to the gym in about 6 months. During our Europe trip this past summer I gained a lot of weight. What made it tough for me this time was losing it based on diet alone. But I did it. In the meantime I've been doing back exercises (yoga-type stuff) and I'm almost ready to hit the gym again. I never stretched when I was younger, which probably lead to my current issues. Nowadays I spend about 30 minutes a day stretching and that helps a lot.

I'm an engineer so I think in mathematical terms. If you put too much in and don't burn it off then you gain. It's that simple. So here's my current diet:

Mornings: Ham and cheese omelet (no toast, home fries, etc., just the omelet).

Lunch: Various salads.

Afternoon snack: apple.

Dinner: Usually some kind of meat (mostly chicken) with greens.

Once a week I'll get a chicken parm dinner or something as a "reward" for doing well. Note, I don't go for ANY of that low fat stuff. They load them up with carbs. I really don't count fat intake. I also only eat enough to the point where I don't feel hungry. I never eat to the point where I'm full.

I've lost 44 pounds in the last 3 months. It was very hard work and not much fun. I was 238lbs in October. I'm now 196lbs. I did it by eating much smaller portions.

I'd like to excercise but I have a Wife and 3 kids which seems to takes up most of my time. Maybe when the kids have grown up I'll do some excercise.

I just ate a dozen chocolate chip cookies, a bag of salt and vinegar potato chips and drank 2 liters of coca-cola, while sitting on my couch watching "30 Rock".........and I'm not fat

This thread has made me appreciate my youth SOOO much

so....thanks?

^

LOL

Well it is a thread for grown ups really[biggrin]

Thundergod

Until ten minutes ago, this Christmas has been an alcoholic haze which means despite my healthy eating and exercising my body has had an assault of empty calories LMAO

I have only put on 2 pounds this Christmas; but I really am up for more fitness in 2010. Also psychologists say if you make a public declaration you are likely to stick to it so that was it there!

Matt

Archived