Gibson Brands Forums

Can you just leave a bullet in if the bleeding done stopped ?

Blackie

slugs are actually sterile (from the heat of being fired) the problem comes from small tatters of clothing, dirt, or body hair it pushes into the wound.

if theres internal bleeding, it'll seep out of the entrance wound.

unless it's against a nerve cord or artery, you'll be ok.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
and it is probably a small caliber ...no more than a 9mm with a cheap back on the propellant...

don't know bout the tip a the round but there is not much blood loss and no exit wound....

Now that we know all is well...................

.....I'd use this as the opening line to a country song :-k !..........[biggrin]

Bender...

Not entirely that simple since a lot also has to do with the type of bullet, etc., and 9 mm. is not really that small a bit of various sorts of metal - although you're correct in terms of "stuff" potentially carried by a bullet into a wound. FMJ as used by many of the world's military organizations is rather different from a hollowpoint or all lead bullet, hollowpoint or not.

In the U.S. CW, those slow-moving .58 cal. Minie ball bullets did horrific damage but also fear and reality of infections added to reasons there were A) so many amputations and B) so many wounded guys who never returned to health. Chunks of clothing that wasn't often all that clean were a major problem, as I hear it.

Of classical interest, the US CW may have had fewer problems with illness had they considered Vetruvius' writing on the placement of military camps written some 2,000 years ago.

BTW, I'm one of those who have had bullets headed in his general direction, although knowing the likely shooters, they weren't likely trying to do more than keep people from walking in on them in what they considered a matter of them making a political statement as opposed to a desire for overt violence. And that was over 30 years ago.

One reason I have a "rule" for when I ride with police acquaintances on patrol is a bit different. A defense tactics student arresting a guy for domestic violence had the beaten-up wife dump a pan of boiling water on him... Not much to do but protect the face...

m

Wow

Just when I am searching and looking into buying a revolver too.

I'd love to hear details on how this bullet entered your body,but in my opinion,you really don't want to ignore the wound.Someone qualified should look at it.If you get an infection,it can spread and be too late to do anything about it if caught too late. seriously,get it checked out.

Well just to let y'all know that is a regular practice around here every New Years. That's how they show off their Christmas gifts. From hand guns to fully auto machine guns. When it stricks 12 it sounds like world war three around here in Virginia. [biggrin]

Use to be a popular thing to do in Arizona also but we had a young girl die from a bullet that came down and hit her in the head so some major legislation went through and the law is now incredibly strict fir a gun in the air in celebration and it's a minimum of five years in prison often more a few years back there was a lot of news coverage for a 17 years old honor student that was at a party and shot several rounds into the air. lot's of press teachers and friends writing letters police even tried to help with no luck he was sentenced to 8 years in State prison no parole and no early release.

Sounds like several of the members here have been on the wrong end of gunshot wounds of various types I've been shot twice once with a shotgun through a window/door doing police work the guy just fired through the door when we went to break up a party for noise abatement he never said a word just fired when we knocked on the door. The other time I was bouncing and was working as the doorman and a fight started in the parking lot about thirty feet away the guy pulled out a snub nose .38 and opened fire on the front door. I took a round in the right upper chest felt like a punch or something until the lung collapsed then it seemed a little worse, interesting scars though and as they say Chicks dig scars. share your bullet stories if they weren't part of a felony [biggrin]

Archived