Gibson Brands Forums

Club of Standards

Rocker Ass

• 2 weeks later...
Love that Top

Thanks Yaff to be honest it was the top that made me buy it and I think I paid over the going rate for it. I only purchased it about a month ago and although it was sold as used it had obviously been with dealers for three years and demoed but not really played at all' date=' came with all doc's including guarantee After some tweaking it now plays and sounds a dream apart from looking like one. [cool First time I have owned a Les Paul and the more I play it the more I like it. BB Pros sound great to my ears and despite have fairly big hands the 60's neck plays like butter. I have also read all the discussions about chambered bodies, short tenons and all I can say is that despite having them it sustains forever and at 7.4 lbs doesn't break your back when playing it. Oh and I have played Les Pauls with a solid body and thick neck and this model is up with the best of them. Mind you I could be biased :-

Thanks Yaff to be honest it was the top that made me buy it and I think I paid over the going rate for it. I only purchased it about a month ago and although it was sold as used it had obviously been with dealers for three years and demoed but not really played at all' date=' came with all doc's including guarantee After some tweaking it now plays and sounds a dream apart from looking like one. [biggrin'] First time I have owned a Les Paul and the more I play it the more I like it. BB Pros sound great to my ears and despite have fairly big hands the 60's neck plays like butter. I have also read all the discussions about chambered bodies, short tenons and all I can say is that despite having them it sustains forever and at 7.4 lbs doesn't break your back when playing it. Oh and I have played Les Pauls with a solid body and thick neck and this model is up with the best of them. Mind you I could be biased [biggrin]

Sounds like you found your perfect match. Regarding the spec, I thought the 07 Standard was the same as the current Traditional (57 Classic pickups, non chambered but weight relived, 50`s neck), sounds like I was wrong.

Regarding the weight, there is so much variation. My 08 Standard (chambered) comes in at 9lb, which I think is at the high end of the scale. Its the combination of natural materials and the hand made (in part) craftsmanship that makes the Les Paul such a special and individual guitar. Each with their own voice and feel.

Anyway, the wife is getting pissed off with me sitting on the internet and her in the living room. So for the sake of my relationship, going to call it a day.

Congratulation and enjoy Quietly [biggrin]

Sounds like you found your perfect match. Regarding the spec' date=' I thought the 07 Standard was the same as the current Traditional (57 Classic pickups, non chambered but weight relived, 50`s neck), sounds like I was wrong.

Regarding the weight, there is so much variation. My 08 Standard (chambered) comes in at 9lb, which I think is at the high end of the scale. Its the combination of natural materials and the hand made (in part) craftsmanship that makes the Les Paul such a special and individual guitar. Each with their own voice and feel.

Anyway, the wife is getting pissed off with me sitting on the internet and her in the living room. So for the sake of my relationship, going to call it a day.

Congratulation and enjoy Quietly [biggrin

It's certainly chambered with BB Pro's and Kluson tuners I think its closer to the current Standard than the Traditional except it has the green pegs, not plek'd and does not have the locking jack plug thing which is a relief [blink]

• 3 weeks later...

Here's my new standard R9 - Darkburst, looks like i'm goin get an RO soon.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

IMG_2182-1.jpg

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

IMG_2186-1.jpg

IMG_2188-1.jpg

IMG_2168-1.jpg

IMG_2265.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Here's my new standard R9 - Darkburst' date=' looks like i'm goin get an RO soon.

[img']http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/ab277/jamman54a/IMG_2182-1.jpg[/img]

IMG_2168-1.jpg

IMG_2265.jpg

Lovely Top.

Think my next will be a R8 or R9, but not for a year or so. After spending £3.5K in the last 6 months on my LP`s, Amp and kit, want to give it some time before investing further.

Enjoy your R9 and congratulations on you buy [biggrin]

crackedstack2.jpg

Same Heritage 80 (better color) with Metro JTM45 clone

Top cab is slant front Geezer open back with 2x12 with Greenbacks

Bottom is Z-Best ported closed back with Vintage 30 and G12H

Easier to transport than a 4x12! [lol]