Gibson Brands Forums

Scalloped Paul?

Gibson CS

Id love to have the money to have a custom made Les Paul with scalloped frets.

I know to some thats a no-no...but dont knock it till you try it.

I was playing my scalloped Strat last night and got to thinking.

Id really love that heavy LP sound, with the scalloped neck feel.

Im sure that would cost a pretty penny.

A no-no? It's your ax and your dough so do whatever you'd like to. I don't think scallpoed fretboard on a paul is un-heard of, just not common. I wonder if rosewood would make it a little more challenging to do than a maple fretboard ???

Im a bit old fashoned when it comes to guitars ,I dont like change for me a strat with three single coil pickups is a strat ,when you start to fit bridge humbuckers and locking tremelos and this and that then it turns into something else. Same goes for les pauls just leave them alone I dont see any big advantage in scalloped necks apart from they go out of tune even more than normal necks.Les pauls are fine just the way they are. Thats only my veiw and I dont want to offend.

People don't seem to bastardize LPs in the same way they do Strats. Aside from changing pickups, you don't see too many mods on a Les Paul save from the occasional Bigsby.

I think scalloping would be better suited for a Strat, as it's definitely more of a "stunt" guitar than a LP would be.

Does scalloping *really* make that much of a difference?

I've got a friend who's been playing in bands for about as long as I've been on this planet. He used to build solid bodies for guys as well. Did scalloping on his '70s Les Paul Deluxe gold top, as well as his '66 Strat which makes him happy. Me? I don't see the need for it, but if it'll make YOU happy (have you got a Malmsteen signature Strat?), it's your guitar. Just be very sure before reaching for sandpaper and files - like tattoos, you can't just swop back if you hate the results.

I bend quite a bit. I really dig in when I play guitar.

I find the scallop helps me acheive a lighter touch, and my vibrato is sweeter.

To me, the taller the frets the better....so thats why I love the feel of a Malmsteen Strat.

I feel no wood under my fingertips. And even though the Strat has the single coil look, its

a stacked humbucker in reality. Low output.

Its missing the LP low end and sustain, and to me thats important.

It takes a certain style of playing to appreciate the scalloped frets.

Its not everyones cup o' tea.

I really enjoyed everything about the Eric Johnson Strat...except the frets.

The guitar got great reviews...I bought one and just couldnt get used to the frets.

Far too flat for my playing style. I had to take her back to the shop.

anyone else out there like big frets?

I guess my point in the other post is, I consider the Les Paul too sacred to f around with for any reason. Even a floating trem like a Floyd just doesn't cut it for me unless it's on a strat type guitar. I dig the scalloped frets though, don't get me wrong. I had to try the Yngwie strat, and I liked the fact you can do some insane bending on the upper frets. I just leave that stuff to guys like Blackmore and Malmsteen. hehe just my observation.

deepblue, I see your point though. Go for it bro.

I think of Fenders or peaveys when I think about a scalloped neck and I have a Strat thats scalloped its different and fast so if you shred it works and you can bend for ever=p~

That said it might be a fun project for a BFG and not to slam BFG's but reasonable price especially used, a hard rock look already and most importantly no fret markers at all add in a kill sitch and a flexible pickup group and wow when I think about iall that it's kinda begging to be done.

maybe I do want a regular BFG eusa_whistle.gif

man given enough time and all your help I can pretty well GAS my way into anything!!!

Archived