Gibson Brands Forums

Bands you missed the first time around...

NeoConMan

You may recall I posted a thread awhile back about Rory Gallagher.

Wondered how I never heard more of his music over the years, man that guy kicked serious Blues ***!

Another band I will submit for your consideration is The Godfathers.

The only song I ever heard by them was from 1987, called Birth, School, Work, Death.

That was kind of a bad era for rock music, Cyndi Lauper, Men At Work, Duran Duran, Madonna was balanced

by all the glam crap from Poison and their ilk, about the only thing interesting was REM and GnR.

MTV had gone rap with the Beastie Boys and Run DMC, good straight-on Rock and Roll was nowhere to be found.

By this time, I was beginning to get away from music and didn't even own an electric guitar.

Figured I was just growing old or something, listened only to Classic Rock and old Blues...

So, in my haste to cast off and disregard any of the new bands as crap I dealt The Godfathers the same fate.

Surfing YouTube to find some of their stuff recently turned up some jewels from them.

Nothing fancy, but I like the twin guitars with distinct contrasts between them.

In the videos, the guy on Stage Right uses a variety of Zemaitis, Gibsons, even an early PRS.

The guy on Stage Left uses Teles, Strats, etc.

Decent rock, no baloney, good tone.

Anybody ever see these guys live, or know anything about 'em?

Official video;

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=TheGodfathersVEVO#p/u/3/QO5dcW0P75M

Live video;

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=884GScUxw3w&NR=1[/YOUTUBE]

I did okay there.

I was all over TP's early stuff when it came out, love it to this day.

By 1986 I was pretty much done with him.

Stop Jammin' Me?

WTF?

Then the Traveling Wilburys and their Valium-laden strumming put me to sleep.

Runnin' Down A Dream was the last killer song he did in my opinion - with Mike Campell's excellent guitar work.

Jeez, that was 20 years ago...

You may recall I posted a thread awhile back about Rory Gallagher.

Wondered how I never heard more of his music over the years' date=' man that guy kicked serious Blues ***!

Another band I will submit for your consideration is [b']The Godfathers.[/b]

The only song I ever heard by them was from 1987, called Birth, School, Work, Death.

That was kind of a bad era for rock music, Cyndi Lauper, Men At Work, Duran Duran, Madonna was balanced

by all the glam crap from Poison and their ilk, about the only thing interesting was REM and GnR.

MTV had gone rap with the Beastie Boys and Run DMC, good straight-on Rock and Roll was nowhere to be found.

By this time, I was beginning to get away from music and didn't even own an electric guitar.

Figured I was just growing old or something, listened only to Classic Rock and old Blues...

So, in my haste to cast off and disregard any of the new bands as crap I dealt The Godfathers the same fate.

Surfing YouTube to find some of their stuff recently turned up some jewels from them.

Nothing fancy, but I like the twin guitars with distinct contrasts between them.

In the videos, the guy on Stage Right uses a variety of Zemaitis, Gibsons, even an early PRS.

The guy on Stage Left uses Teles, Strats, etc.

Decent rock, no baloney, good tone.

Anybody ever see these guys live, or know anything about 'em?

Official video;

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=TheGodfathersVEVO#p/u/3/QO5dcW0P75M

Live video;

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=884GScUxw3w&NR=1[/YOUTUBE]

Neo, how the hell did you came in touch with the pure rock of The Godfathers??? That's a mystery you'll have to reveal man! They were played on MTV a lot at the end of the '80's, and they were a big hit in the UK and Europe as well. I saw them once 'live' at a festival in Bornem(Belgium) and they played as straight as in the hit you've mentionned. They were a real live band with 2 fine guitarists, real UK rock!If you ever get the chance to buy both albums "Birth, School, Work, Death(1987) and "Unreal World"(1991) you won't be disappointed...

LOL The Godfathers ever reached the Gibson Forum!

'Camper Van Beethoven', an US band I had the privilage to see once live in the early '90's, is one of those bands that were genius but for some reason didn't make it... The singer David Lowery started the band 'Cracker' afterwards and had some minor success. But CVB was a band that drew my attention right from the start 'cause they played a mix of country rock, kletzmer, East european music...violin, guitars, sitar,...something never heard before and all members were top musicians. I believe they were an underground band in the states and I doubt if they ever received enough airplay, but that didn't stop me from buying all their records ...

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

Except for their "radio" songs, I missed Golden Earring the 1st time around.........founded in 1960 & still gigging today, WOW!

Also, after hearing the 1st 2 songs on "Amorica"(The Black Crowes 3rd album) I decided my favorite Southern Rock band was "off the path", yanked the CD, & never put it back in.

I got bored and started "tubing" Golden Earring a while back........I missed some good stuff there.

Then, a year ago, I found "The Black Crowes Tribute to a Work in Progress" and realized that i'd missed several GREAT songs on each of their newer albums (including Amorica)

One musician I missed the 1st time, I missed because I was too young........The immortal Bluesman, Sam "Lightnin'" Hopkins..............I bought his "Forever Gold" CD on a lark a cpl. yrs . back, and I'm totally hooked!!!

This might sound funny, but for me it it was Squeeze.

I heard about two of there songs in the 80's, Black Coffee and Tempted. I didn't dislike them, but it really wasn't my style of music. More for the preps and new-wave types. Sometime in th 90s I somehow came into possession of a best-of type CD of theirs and decided to give it a listen. I realized they were really great song writers and musicians. All their songs have a great pop sensibility, but are very creative, intelligent and actually a little complex. Much more than just 3 or 4 chords and pentatonic scales.

Yeah Saturn.

Not a big fan of Pop music, but those guys were great.

Tilbrook (?) did great on vocals, and the melodies were very effective.

Sort of a continuation of the Beatles magic in my opinion.

Wait, maybe I'm thinking of Paul Carrack on vocals....

You have to be kidding right?

No.

[huh]

Any more words of wisdom for us mate?

Yeah....

If you made it big in the music biz playing GOOD Southern Rock with good production' date=' your concerts sell lotsa

tickets and make you a polished stage band, and your most rocking songs are played on the radio all over

the USA, don't be surprised when your biggest fans refuse to buy your "artistic excursions" into pleasant,

hummable, elevator music.

Even Jeff Lynne, Popmeister Extraordinaire should be ashamed.

Don't care about Dylan.

Harrison and Orbison had been playing Pleasant Pop their entire careers.

The band seemed to be a vehicle to honor them anyway, so I don't blame them.

Their albums sold millions, I have no doubt you own them too - along with others I wouldn't be caught dead with.

Tag.

You're IT.

:D/ [thumbdn

Yeah Saturn.

Not a big fan of Pop music' date=' but those guys were great.

[/quote']

I loved Squeeze when they were current.

Anyone wishing to 'dip in a toe' should check out their " 45's and Under " album. Greatest hits plus B-sides sort of thing.

Happily for us in the UK their piano player, Jools Holland, found his niche as the host of what has become the best 'Music-on-TV' program hereaways since the late, lamented Old Grey Whistle Test died a few decades ago. Every week there will be old, new and downright obscure bands playing a number or two live and, as a closing feature, the finale where everyone joins in!

Bands....how about a genre...The Blues! [thumbdn] I always liked Rock and Metal but never really explored the Blues until fairly recently. I mean...this is where rock came from right so I best learn aboot it!

Got lots to explore which is nice...i like a lot of the older blues stuff right now....dunno too much modern stuff yet.

Yeah Saturn.

Not a big fan of Pop music' date=' but those guys were great.

Wait, maybe I'm thinking of Paul Carrack on vocals....

No.

[huh

Yeah....

If you made it big in the music biz playing GOOD Southern Rock with good production, your concerts sell lotsa

tickets and make you a polished stage band, and your most rocking songs are played on the radio all over

the USA, don't be surprised when your biggest fans refuse to buy your "artistic excursions" into pleasant,

hummable, elevator music.

Even Jeff Lynne, Popmeister Extraordinaire should be ashamed.

Don't care about Dylan.

Harrison and Orbison had been playing Pleasant Pop their entire careers.

The band seemed to be a vehicle to honor them anyway, so I don't blame them.

Their albums sold millions, I have no doubt you own them too - along with others I wouldn't be caught dead with.

Tag.

You're IT.

:D/ [cool]

Let me guess...a RE-released album that AGAIN sold millions.

They say there's a fool born every minute...

What was that about eating humble pie?...

Or was it a loser never knows whento quit...:-k

No' date=' I don't think he was kidding. I think he's pretty sure that the Wilburys put him to sleep.

It's a non debatable topic.

[/quote']

Frontal Lobotomy's must've been the latest craze back then I guess.., You crazy (albeit brain dead) kids.

Oh well,most people call it talent...guess you 2 wouldn't know about it...still time for you'se to learn though.

[cool][huh]

Thank you for extending your Grace toward us unwashed heathens....

What do YOU suggest I listen to so I can recognize your idea of talent?

(This oughta be good.....)

They say there's a fool born every minute...

What was that about eating humble pie?...

Or was it a loser never knows whento quit...

How about you start a thread yourself.

Seriously' date=' come up with a subject using that fertile mind (from all the fertilizer that covers it) and post it.

I'll be sure to follow you around the forum and piss on every post YOU make until the Mod Squad shuts it down.

Works every time....

If 5 guys strumming acoustic guitars and harmonizing lyrics with no real depth are your preference, then by

all means indulge yourself with all the sugary pop music confection you can digest.

Maybe Britney Spears will do an all acoustic album at some point, I'll buy it for you as a gesture of good will.

[huh[cool]

Frontal Lobotomy's must've been the latest craze back then I guess..' date=' You crazy (albeit brain dead) kids.

Oh well,most people call it talent...guess you 2 wouldn't know about it...still time for you'se to learn though.

[biggrin [biggrin]

Falling asleep is a talent?

Missing the first time round means I can't include bands that weren't my generation.

Some of the bands (artists) I liked superficially but didn't realize were incredible:

Prince

Boston

The Eagles

Pearl Jam

Some of the bands I was not ready or willing to digest until my taste matured or they stop being OVERPLAYED:

Nirvana (please don't flame me...I know they're not Floyd but its my generation)

Pink Floyd

Smashing Pumpkins

The Beatles (I know, I know...mom overplayed them, made me want to shoot myself)

Archived