Gibson Brands Forums

Open back, or sealed cabinet?

NeoConMan

Awhile back, I had a thread on here about deciding what my next amp would be.

All sorts of offerings of advice, various testimonials, and a few flights of fancy were posted in reply.

I finally narrowed it down to a new Mesa 5:50 as the most likely candidate.

I decided I would get a separate head/cab which then revealed a whole other dilema;

Which cabinet?

I can get open back or sealed, with the same speakers either way.

I already have both, the Marshall stack is sealed.

Every combo I've ever owned (or played thru) was open.

I currently have a Fender Hot Rod DeVille 2x12 and a Blues Junior which are wide open.

I'm a Blues/Classic Rock kinda guy, the hardest stuff I play is AC/DC which isn't really a dirty tone.

Any thoughts?

Advice?

Experience?

Ideas?

For me I switched to an open back. I was always using a closed back 4x12 at practice. (Still do at home). It sounded good to me. Weezer, Green Day type music. First gig made me change my mind, I couldnt hear myself and no one else in the band could hear me. I switched to the open back 2x12 and still have pretty good crunch and bottom end but have a much fuller sound that projects everywhere as opposed to straight out from the closed back.

My Orange 4x12 is closed and has two long rubber runners that run the entire length of the cabinet so it sits

firm and flat on the floor.

When you hit a power chord it shakes everything that isnt nailed down. I prefer closed back for the low end response.

That's kinda what I was thinking.

It's just that my Marshall JCM 800 (different horse, I know) is so IN-YOUR-FACE even at low volumes.

I LOVE big power chords and I'm mostly a rhythm guy anyhow, but....

I play straight in with no reverb or effects of any kind so it's a very dry signal even when cranked.

I wondered if the sealed cab clarity would be cool with a smaller amp, or just sound too.....

I dunno exactly what words I'm looking for.... compressed? Dry?

I love the way my Fenders fill the room without being too loud, nice and warm.

It's just that the amps are so different.

Kinda handy to be able to 'aim' my Marshall.

When I crank it up in the house, I spin it around to face toward the next room.

That sort of flexibility would be handy on a small stage, even with a small amp, eh?

Open back would mean that's not possible.

[lol] [lol] [lol]

I gigged a Marshall JCM900 (4100) for nearly a decade with the 1960A. As good as it sounded to me, 20 feet in front of it, it sounded like crap. And drummers couldn't hear me so I'd have to mic it even in little clubs, and sometimes the drummer would'nt have his own monitor mix, leading it to being in other monitors, ect.

Small clubs 150/300 seats give me an open back any day. The stage sound is better (to me), I can adjust the bottom, ect.

The Carvin Legacy 2;12 has V30's and 1/2 the back can be removed, which could be handy if you had 2 of them, you could leave the bottom sealed and the top open. I'm leaning that way myself for larger venues.

Best of luck, Neo.

I have a Mesa 3/4 closed back and Express 5:25 head and I love it. (the 5:50 head is larger by the way)

The cab offers the best of both worlds like surpup says.

The quality on this thing is superb and it weights like 50 pounds. It has a Celestion (Mesa) C90 made in the UK in it.

DSCN1979.jpg

DSCN1227.jpg

Avatar Speakers has open back to closed back conversion boards available for some of their cabinets. Very reasonably priced loaded with your pick of speakers.

The Orange cab my son just is open and a conversion board could easily be added by anyone who can cut a simple rectangle blank and drive a few screws.

I used a closed back 4x12 (Avatar) with a Soldano SLO 100 for a few shows several years ago and the drummer at the time complained he could not hear me on stage. I figured the SLO would be so loud that it would make little difference, but apparently it does.

Almost everything I've had/used since '66 (always acoustic before then) has been open back ... except the 4-10 bassman I'd use on occasion in the '70s and the Fender Leslie.

For guitar I prefer open. Besides, it's a great place to put "stuff." <grin>

m

Archived