Gibson Brands Forums

I'm thinking about getting a PRS and I have a question.

rocketman

Should I do it? That's actually not my question. Yeah I know, asking someone on a guitar forum "should I buy a new guitar?" is like asking Are Nine "will you buy another guitar this year?" (he he he). I've played a ton of them over the last few months and I really like them. It's down to a 513 or a Custom 24 but I'm leaning towards the Custom 24. I spoke to Bruce at the HOG and he said to see him on Monday because he's got a couple guys at NAMM right now who will be back on Monday. They are going to talk to Paul Reed Smith directly about getting some good deals. Bruce knows I'm a good customer and I know he'll take real good care of me.

This will be the first guitar I'm buying without seeing it first. I'm looking to get a Dark Cherry Finish with a Wide Thin Neck. I'm not worried about it because I haven't played a PRS yet that had any flaws with it. I have a question though that hopefully someone can answer. Every Custom 24 guitar I've seen had real nice flame tops. Their "standard" flame seems to be much higher than a AA Gibson Standard. I haven't seen a 10 Top firsthand though. I really like their standard flame but I could be convinced to get a 10 Top. Is the 10 Top really THAT much better looking?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shopping online is a crap shoot.

Looking at them in person (as you have) will tell you that they rarely skimp on nice tops.

My Ten Top Quilt is flawless, and absolutely mind-boggling - almost too much.

Mrs. Neo likened it to a wealthy woman with too much expensive jewelry on - grandiose even...

They are great guitars, I've only tried a couple of the good ones and none of the really good and great ones. I've also played their chinese cheapo stuff and it's better than most chinese cheapo stuff.

I agree with Neo shopping online is a crap shoot. That said, buying without seeing/playing first might be safer with Paul Reed Smith than it is with gibson.

(wait, I'll put the fire proof suit on now)

Ok, IMO spending that kind of money on a PRS is a much better way of spending it than on a gibson custom shop :)

Oops, sorry for the misconception. I'm buying it at the House of Guitars who will place the order for me. Actually Bruce said that he'd likely get it with his next own next large PRS order for the store. He told me that he should be able to get a great deal for me that way. I actually feel pretty comfortable with that part. I'm not comfortable with online purchases in general. Well I guess this is somewhat "online" but with a trusted and respected owner who's ordering it and who's going to easily beat any online price (by a wide margin I might add).

The Quilt tops do look great and since I don't have a Quilt top I may go with it. Neo, yours looks amazing!! TG, I don't think you'll get much disagreement from folks here. Gibson can build really great guitars IMHO. But, for me, when you spend anything over 2k on a guitar it better be flawless. A lot of Gibsons are flawless, some are not unfortunately. I haven't found a single flaw in any PRS I've played.

AXE®, I didn't play any of the Korean made ones but you've piqued my interest! I'll check them out tomorrow for kicks and grins...

PRS suspended production of "10" quilt tops a few years ago.

Private Stock now, for the most part.

If you're not in a hurry, I can get some pics of the PRS's hanging in Bizarre Guitar and email 'em to ya.

Anything that tickles your fancy might be had for a decent price, and I can get all the detailed pics you want.

Glad to help.

:)

More pics of my 20th Anniversary Custom 24 - just because...

[biggrin]

1415236035_a49ea61206.jpg

1416283764_d9167f0099.jpg

1416113774_8f45fbdf14.jpg

Private Stock now' date=' for the most part.

If you're not in a hurry, I can get some pics of the PRS's hanging in Bizarre Guitar and email 'em to ya.

Anything that tickles your fancy might be had for a decent price, and I can get all the detailed pics you want.

Glad to help.

[b']More pics of my 20th Anniversary Custom 24 - just because...[/b]

[cool]

1415236035_a49ea61206.jpg

1416283764_d9167f0099.jpg

1416113774_8f45fbdf14.jpg

Lord, a guy could get seasick...awesome quilt! Do you just wanna sit and look at it sometimes...? [biggrin]

Private Stock now' date=' for the most part.

Glad to help.[/quote']

Thanks for the offer. I really appreciate it. Bruce at HOG has been extremely good to me so I'm going to stick with him. So far he's given me the lowest prices I've ever seen too. Even if someone else beats his prices, I feel really comfortable with him (kinda like finding a great mechanic!). I'd feel like I'd be cheating on him. The guilt would get to me.

But I do plan on coming to the Phoenix area this summer. So I'd love to take a look around there!

I understand 100%.

I doubt the ordering process would disappoint you - outside the wait.

26 months for me.

Come on the Phoenix!

Love to show you around!

It's down to a 513 or a Custom 24 but I'm leaning towards the Custom 24.

Don't count out the Custom 22 for two reasons.

1. Lotsa people say they like the neck pickup being that much further away from the bridge for tonal variety.

2. I always wanted a good guitar with 24 frets. I actually use those last two on one AC/DC song I play.

Holy smokes, 26 months would kill me for sure! According to the PRS website the Custom 22 has been discontinued. So I don't know if I can get a new 22. Thanks for offering to show me around. I'll definitely take you up on it!!

Do you just wanna sit and look at it sometimes...?

No.

I get woozy...

[biggrin]

Yeah, I expected a badass top and was really concerned that it took so long.

The PRS rep told me they had probably already made my guitar three times, then found finish flaws in it.

Off to the bandsaw they go...

When it arrived, I was stunned.

No kidding.

^ rocketd*ck... [biggrin]

If you look at PRS's website, practically every old model is discontinued - it's either because they've actually been cut or just to make room for all the 25th anniversary models - whether they'll start making them again is anyone's guess.

QC wise, I highly doubt you'll find any flaws. The only questions are - will you like playing the guitar that you get and will you like how the top looks? That's the only gamble in my mind. Does HOG have a full refund policy?

10 top vs. non 10 top - well, search eBay and I'm sure you'll find some pretty ugly 10 tops. It really comes down to each individual piece of maple.

How long do you have to think about this? If I were you, I'd check out the classified section at the Birds and Moons forum to see what's for sale there. I've seen PRSi with asking prices that were dirt cheap. I'm sure you'll have no issue finding a 513 or C24 that you like the look of there. There's also a great place up here but with the current exchange rate, it isn't really worth your while to buy from Canada.

I think another thing you should look into is getting one with 57/08 or 59/09 pickups. They're limited edition pickups, made with '50s Gibson wire blah, blah, blah - they sound absolutely incredible!! I haven't played that many but every regular Custom & SC I've played around here were pretty good sounding guitars but I didn't like them enough to buy; the two guitars I have with 57/08 or 59/09 - holy smokes!! Tone wise, let's just say they rival Gibson's best and leave it at that.

I don't know a whole lot about PRS yet but I do know if you want a stop tail, you have to buy a C22. C24s only come with the trem.

For a few months I had been searching for a PRS that appealed to me. In November I finally found one --- a Custom 22 (22 or 24 didn't really matter to me).

Funny thing --- I never knew why some PRS' didn't really appeal to me but now I know why. I like quilt tops. Until the day I bought mine I wasn't aware that they came in flame and quilt tops.

Most PRS' seem to be flames --- well, at least the more affordable PRS'. [biggrin] Fortunately this one was a quilt.

And as soon as I saw this CU22 I fell in love with it (this pic makes the top look way less nice than it really is). I'm not one for the fancy colours and the quilt pattern just grabbed me.

It's not a 10 but the quilt is still pretty nice. Many of the non-10 tops actually look very, very nice.

And I got it at a great price. :)

prs-2.jpg

How do you find the feel between the SC and and the 22? I think that's a 22, I forget. [biggrin]

I like the way the 22s, 24s, etc hug my body --- they are very comfortable to play.

How much of a sound difference is there between them (they do have the same P/Us, right?)?

If it's American-made.

Actually, even the Korean made stuff is pretty cool, especially compared to anything else from Korea or China.

that bridge looks to me to be sitting either to far back or the posts are backed out too far

It's backresting for stability. Works fine that way, no more than I use it.

Actually, I believe it was shipped like that.

Not sure, don't remember.

That was just before the pickup swap, I put Dragon II's in it with chrome covers.

It's backresting for stability. Works fine that way' date=' no more than I use it.

[/quote']

No problem with that. Nothing "really" wrong with having it uneven like that. Unless,of course,you have intonation(rarely) or action(possibility) issues.

Always best to have everything flush. But if you want the extra mileage when diving and you're having no issues...why not.B)

How do you find the feel between the SC and and the 22? I think that's a 22' date=' I forget. [biggrin

I like the way the 22s, 24s, etc hug my body --- they are very comfortable to play.

How much of a sound difference is there between them (they do have the same P/Us, right?)?

They're both very comfortable. Like you say, they hug the body. The C22 is a bit lighter.

The SC has 57/08s and the C22 has 59/09s. The 57/08 are mellower and the 59/09s drive the amp more. The C22 also has push/pulls, the SC doesn't.

Archived