Gibson Brands Forums

Fravorite pickups for your lester

Bluemoon

I am thinking about replacing the pickups in my Lester (BB pros) with a WCR darkburst, Hill Classic Set, or Wolftone Vintage...

They seem so expensive, though.

Does anyone have any experience with them? Any other options you like?

I don't have experience with those pups, but your thread title seems to be asking what our favorite pup is for our LP'(s).

I had a DiMarzio Dual Sound in my bridge position for about 28 years and I loved it, but I wanted a change so I replaced it with a DiMarzio Virtual Vintage PAF Hot (which they stopped making).

I'm not sold on the new PAF Hot just yet and I may put the old Dual Sound back in. However, I also replaced the original neck pup with a DiMarzio Air Classic and that sounds great.

I don't have experience with those pups' date=' but your thread title seems to be asking what our favorite pup is for our LP'(s).

[/quote']

Changed my post a little. You are right....I am interested in what others have done.

I got the SD Alnico II Pro bridge/neck for one of them and

SD Alnico II Pro in the neck and SD Pearly Gates in the bridge on the other.

Both works for me even though I'm having a hard time hearing the difference between the two.

I have Wolfe's Dr. Vs in my R8 - they're great pickups. I don't think you can really go wrong with any of those high end PAF style pickups. I just arbitrarily picked Wolfetones and couldn't be happier with them.

Another suggestion - and I say this because my stock chambered R8 sounds incredible - what about a pair of Burstbuckers? A lot of guys replace the pickups in their historics. I'm sure most of the BBs just end up in a box in case the guitar is ever sold but some guys put them up for sale. I absolutely love BBs.

Another suggestion - and I say this because my stock chambered R8 sounds incredible - what about a pair of Burstbuckers? A lot of guys replace the pickups in their historics. I'm sure most of the BBs just end up in a box in case the guitar is ever sold but some guys put them up for sale. I absolutely love BBs.

That's a great idea. [drool]

I love how van zandts sound. I also love these!

www.rocketpickups.com

The guy who makes them has his shop right down the road from me and he is so cool! Great guitar player and gives lessons as well as making pickups and making guitars. His pickups all sound ****ing fantastic! Once I get my LP back from him I will post a video with it. It will have two of his pickups in it when I get it back friday.

On a side not because he has been so backed up and the mail got all screwed up it has taken him much longer then normal to do the modifications to my LP. Because of this he is giving me a free lesson! SCORE! [biggrin]

ive tried a bunch of the boutique guys, gibsons, duncans, dimarzios, of them all, Ive found some pickups are really good for southern growling rock, some are good for biting british blues, some are good for smooth crunchy leads, but these seem to be the jack of all trades master for my tastes

http://www.sheptone.com/hum.htm

the tribute set is fairly priced @ about 100 bucks per pickup, and suits me fine and dandy

Archived