Gibson Brands Forums

Playing slide on electric guitar

Andre S

I was just playing slide on open G. I played on open A last night and open E the night before. All on electric using the Blues channel on my amp.

You can play using normal action but you you get some clanking when you hit the frets, I don't mind it unless I was recording, gigging or something.

I've not played much slide on electric, but I used to do a lot on acoustics. Yeah, a light touch will give that cleaner sound with a relatively low action.

A lotta the old blues pickers I was kinda emulating would have the open tuning, and the reason the slide went on the left pinkie finger was so you could use the thumb and other three fingers for fingering chords.

I used a metal lipstick case that got lost somewhere over the years. It fit that pinkie perfectly. <grin> Nowadays I think the girls all are getting lipstick in plastic... so much for that nowadays. I liked it better than glass, myself, and the "finesse" thing was a major reason. It had more control and was much lighter than glass, thereby making it easier to have control of pressure on the strings. At least, that's my opinion...

m

I've not played much slide on electric' date=' but I used to do a lot on acoustics. Yeah, a light touch will give that cleaner sound with a relatively low action.

A lotta the old blues pickers I was kinda emulating would have the open tuning, and the reason the slide went on the left pinkie finger was so you could use the thumb and other three fingers for fingering chords.

I used a metal lipstick case that got lost somewhere over the years. It fit that pinkie perfectly. <grin> Nowadays I think the girls all are getting lipstick in plastic... so much for that nowadays. I liked it better than glass, myself, and the "finesse" thing was a major reason. It had more control and was much lighter than glass, thereby making it easier to have control of pressure on the strings. At least, that's my opinion...

m

[/quote']

My dad made a slide by rolling a super thin sheet of brass into a tube.

It's really light and easy to use. Lots of finesse like you said. I think it has a really nice, bright sound.

I don't like my slide to be heavy.

For slide I have 2 guitars tuned one to open E and one open G. I also set

the action up a tad it just sounds better to me. Like everyone else said

the lighter the slide the more control, then the easier it is to play. I have

a bunch of different slides steel, brass, and glass. Right now I using a

Dunlop glass that I've had about 20 years. I do most of my slide also

without a pick. The tone to me is much better that way.

CW

Archived