Gibson Brands Forums

Ten Years After

Blackie

I was clicken channels last nite and came upon the movie Woodstock and was lucky cause it was right

at the point of the rain storm, which let me know Alvin was not far off after C,S&N so I keep jumping back

to that channel while I am surfing........until those magic words that give me goose bumps to this very day....

.........this is something by a band called helicopter.........I'm goin home..........

Anybody got a vid or link to this historic performance.........

And what to me is the definition of rippin it up on the guitar ...........of which I can only aspire to do.

Actually...he was referring to the helicopters, that were bringing in musicians, and doctors,

food, supplies, and flying people out, too...because it was the only way to ferry those folks

into the fesitval, by that time. "This is a thing called I'm Going Home, (by Helicopter)" The

helicopter part, was his little joke...

CB

Actually...he was referring to the helicopters' date=' that were bringing in musicians, and doctors,

food, supplies, and flying people out, too...because it was the only way to ferry those folks

into the fesitval, by that time. "This is a thing called I'm Going Home, (by Helicopter)" The

CB[/quote']

Interesting little factoid CB

Actually...he was referring to the helicopters' date=' that were bringing in musicians, and doctors,

CB[/quote']

No wonder I have never heard any othe mention or reference to a band called "Helicopter"

but you know I figured it was like alot of songs covered that heck that version has to be the rockinest............

but also last nite after I saw the performance....I was like thinking who is this helicopter band ?

then I was like who would name a band helicopter..........I know the airplane became the starship is what

I have always attributed it to some lessor technology band name.

So the song is actually just the compilation jam that it apears to be ?

It IS an amazing performance, even now! ES-335 (modified), and a Marshall Stack (or two).

I saw them (Ten Year's After) in Tulsa, about two years later...with Procol Harum. Actually

my buddy and I, got to help them "set up" on stage...as we had arrived hours early...from

seeing Led Zep, the night before, in OKC. Alvin was using 2 Marshall Stacks, that day. But,

it was great...not "too loud," at all...and we were on the front row. The roadies comped our

tickets, as well. Fun times!!

CB

It IS an amazing performance' date=' even now! ES-335 (modified), and a Marshall Stack (or two).

I saw them (Ten Year's After) in Tulsa, about two years later...with Procol Harum. Actually

my buddy and I, got to help them "set up" on stage...as we had arrived hours early...from

seeing Led Zep, the night before, in OKC. Alvin was using 2 Marshall Stacks, that day. But,

it was great...not "too loud," at all...and we were on the front row. The roadies comped our

tickets, as well. Fun times!!

CB[/quote']

Woah. You're the man.

Woah. You're the man.

LOL...well, you could DO things, like that, back then. There

were no "assigned seats," and it was first come, first served,

at all the venues we used to see bands play in. You could

even photograph the bands, without any hassles, what so

ever. It was only later, that it all changed! We just happened

to get to Tulsa, way early, that day...and hung around the

venue, as we really didn't know the city, at all. And, it worked

out, really well! ;>) I just wish I had been a photographer

THEN! Didn't start that occupation, until a couple of years later.

Saw "The Yardbirds," with Page and Beck, on the same stage,

at the Cotillion Ballroom, in Wichita, Ks. That was awesome, as well.

Jim McCarty, passed out, right on his drum kit, in the middle of

their set. Some fellow from a local Wichita band, finished out the

set, with them. What a night HE had! LOL!

CB

Thanks Charlie....your a little ahead of me on how it was but we are both still around helping each other and the new guys as it should be.....

and I am still working on my own version of a helicopter song.....except I just did a search and there are about 57 bands named helicopter.....

• 4 months later...

An awesome performance by Alvin and co. I was told that Alvin was high on speed at the time they did "Goin' Home." Does anyone know if that's true, or just rumourhearsay. I mean, I realise IT WAS the sixties and nearly everyone there would have been high on something.

It doesn't really matter anyway, because high or not, it was a fantastic show by TYA and I too enjoy revisiting the entire '69 Woodstock event.

Archived