Gibson Brands Forums

roy buchanan v gary moore

S t e v e

i'm going with gary...the emotion is too much to ignore. what do you guys think?

i went with gary too and i agree with you 100%.... gary is my idol... there's so much emotion in his playing that its impossible to not be awed by it.... and man' date=' gary can make that guitar just SCREAM!!! beautiful stuff.... thanks for posting!! [biggrin

Okay... laugh at an old man if you will, but...

Poet and "critic" T.S. Eliot wrote that poetry best is written on reflection of the emotion, not in the heat of it.

The same goes pretty much with music, as far as I'm concerned.

Buchanan has emotion in his playing but with a degree of understatement I consider is indicative of a greater degree of "maturity" in playing that is not a matter of technique one can learn, but rather must learn to feel, if not understand.

Most older blues pickers, take BB as an example, are singin' of loves lost at some earlier time and how they remember the rotten feeling - where younger pickers too often will get the immediate response of "OMG, MY GIRLFRIEND LEFT ME!"

I think that's why a lot of "teen" music over the decades has been kinda lost to history because as those who heard it as teens grow up, they stick with the more mature stuff of their youth and the "weep, wail and gnash teeth" stuff is forgotten.

What's that about Link Wray and "Rumble?" Yeah, it's an angry rock piece - but without the overt tears or bruises. More a statement of "Ewscray Ouyay."

Oh, and frankly I do think a 16-18 year old can do the more "mature" stuff too, if they stop to think a bit.

m

Archived