Gibson Brands Forums

I'm off to Texas!

drathbun

Hey Doug, I spent a fab 10 days there a few years back. For clubs, check out Antoines (blues/rock), Broken Spoke (country), Continental Club (alt everything), and cruise the watering holes on 6th street. There are open mikes so pack a guit-fiddle. Eats? Green Mesquette ("horrifying vegetarians since 1988") for BBQ & Nuevo Leon for Mex. Guitars? make a field trip to Collings, stop by Austin Vintage and consider a day trip out to Fredericksberg to visit Hill Country Guitars. And be sure to "tip your hat to the ladies and the rose of San Antone"

Doug

You will enjoy Austin. Be sure to check out the Saxon Pub they have live music every night and it's a small well run joint. If you can catch Bob Schneider on Monday night you will not be disappointed, he's fantastic. I avoid 6th street as much as possible but it might be worth a look. Another guitar shop you want to visit is Guitar Resurrection , Hill Country Guitars is in Wimberly just south of Austin. As for eat's there is soo much available! Threadgills has music and food and is an Austin institution. You may also want to try Kirby Lane for some unique takes on food. Have a good time and did I mention not to miss Bob Schneider.

Fred

If you like Italian, the food is awesome at Vaspaio on South Congress (espcially if you have per diem, as it's a little pricey, but oh so worth it). They also have a bistro next door, Enoteca Vaspaio. Food is still excellent, but more moderately priced.

Both are across the street from the Continental Club on South Congress (do go). There are MANY really good restaurants on that street, running the gamut from pizza and hamburgers to haute cuisine. If the weather's nice, you may find some live music being played right out on the street at Jo's coffeshop. There is even a parking lot where some converted Airstream trailers serve all kinds of excellent hand-held food (there's actually quite a few of these around Austin now), plus numerous funky shops.

There's an incredible live music scene in Austin. The venue suggestions already given are really good ones, but get yourself an Austin Chronicle (the free paper) to get a better overview of what's going on and where while you are there. Here's a link to the online version:

Austin Chronicle

If you buy recorded music, Waterloo Records is one of the last great, independant record stores.

Other local favorites include Hut's Hamburgers, Amy's Ice Cream (multiple locations) Stubb's BBQ, the Green Mesquite (also BBQ), The Magnolia Cafe (great breakfast place), Lamberts (upscale BBQ...did I mention there's good BBQ in Austin?). There's so many, and new ones all the time. Ask a local or two.

There's a bunch of guitar stores on Lamar Street, including Austin Vintage (great store), Heart of Texas Music, South Austin Music, and Musicmakers, and there are many more around town.

Here is a link to a guide of stores:

Austin Guitar Stores

If you can get to the Colling's factory for a tour, I would HIGHLY recommend that. It's an incredible facility, the guitars are works of art, and the people are extremely dedicated, personable, and justly proud.

Have fun!

Red 333

I'll second the recommendation to pick up a copy of the Austin Chronicle when you get to town. You'll find plenty of music listings in the Chronicle - there should be no shortage of music on hand while you're there. Let people know what genres of music you like and ask around for advice on gigs, I'm sure you'll receive plenty of recommendations for shows to take in. Musical taste is really such a personal thing. For example, I did my best to try to avoid Bob Schneider (although I didn't mind the Lonelyland days when Stephen Bruton was playing with him), but my wife loves him. Honestly, musically speaking, there's just about something on tap for everyone. You should go check out Waterloo Records as suggested as well. In addition to it being a great music store, you'll find lots of music by local artists there. It used to be that they would let you listen to anything in the store.

It's been almost seven years since I lived there, but Austin used to have plenty of places that had live music for free (you can support the musicians directly via the tip jar), so you might look into those options as well (again, ask around while you're there, you will find plenty of people into the music scene there). For example, Artz Rib House (BBQ) in South Austin used to have lots of acoustic music (think bluegrass, singer-songwriter, etc.) most evenings. I'm sure there are plenty of other places that have sprung up over the years that offer similar. My favorite location for live acoustic music was the Cactus Cafe, on the UT campus. Great sound and most everyone who went there showed up to actually listen to the music, what a concept. The place isn't very large, so if someone is playing there that you're interested in, show up early and get in line before the doors open. Sixth street used to have plenty of live music venues as well, not so much acoustic however.

Some other food suggestions:

In addition to Artz, there is Ruby's BBQ (on Guadalupe just north of the UT campus) - many blues greats have dined here and left behind their assorted scribblings, forever preserved under acrylic on the table tops. Antone's used to be located a stone's throw away from here so therefore the blues connection. You'll also find Antone's Record store across the street on the other side of Guadalupe. There also used to be Sam's BBQ on the east side of town. Some folks prefer to venture a bit further out to The County Line BBQ (a couple of locations) or The Salt Lick (closer to Wimberly).

Guero's Taco Bar (on South Congress). I miss this place as much as any, but my wife was more fond of Chuy's (on Barton Springs, with multiple other locations). The last time we were there, Guero's had added a small outdoor amphitheater for live music performances. Guero's is conveniently located across the way from the Continental Club and plenty of other fun stuff on South Congress, while Chuy's is near plenty of other things to do on Barton Springs. Sadly, I think the Avenue Cafe (Las Manitas) is no longer.

The truth is, there are no shortage of BBQ and Mexican food joints in Austin. You could spend your whole week exploring nothing but BBQ or Mexican and you still wouldn't hit them all. Chicken Fried Steak? - check out the Hyde Park Bar & Grill. On the flip side, there are also plenty of vegetarian restaurants in town if that's more your thing. For breakfast, Kerby Lane and Magnolia Cafe are a couple of local favorites.

There are also plenty of guitar stores in town. Red's link to the list of stores is a great reference.

Ray Hennig's Heart of Texas music wasn't exactly the role model for acoustic guitar stores (no quiet rooms), but Ray Hennig is a music retail legend. He sold Stevie Ray Vaughan his main Strat "Number One", and as it turns out, he sold me my first Gibson. I don't know if Ray is still involved in the day-to-day goings on any more (nor do I know if he sells Gibsons any longer), but if so he's a real kick to meet.

Guitar Resurrection used to carry Gibson along with a few other choice brands. The guy that used to head up the acoustic department for Strait Music (they used to have a good selection of acoustics) opened up his own store called Quincy's Guitars - I haven't been there though. The list goes on and on...

I'd also recommend you try to arrange a visit to Collings guitars.

I'm guessing that you'll have a fun time exploring all of the above.

All the best,

Guth

You should also try the Cactus Cafe in the student union building at UT. Not so much a cafe but a live music venue. Fred Eaglesmith is there on Wednesday and Chris Knight on Thursday. It was just announced that it will be closing in August, a sad day for music fans.

Fred

Definitely the Continental Club on S. Congress. Red Volkaert's band "Heybale" has a standing Sunday night gig. Definitely worth seeing. Check out the free press Austin Chronicle for music and club listings. Red was Merle Haggard's guitar player for a bunch of years and is unbelievable. Heybale's pianist is Earl Poole Ball who has played with a lot of folks like Elvis Presley and the Byrds including their Sweethearts of the Rodeo album. Not to be missed. Jesse Dayton plays Thursdays at the Broken Spoke---worth seeing if he's in town. If you can find Dale Watson playing anywhere, he's a sure bet as well. Lots of talent in Austin. If you're up for a movie, try the Alamo Drafthouse on S. Lamar--huge beer selection and a full menu served in the theater. Austin's a great town--you will have fun.

Dwight

Thanks for all your very helpful suggestions! I'm packing now. Have to be at the airport at 5am... ugh!

I know I HAVE to visit Guitar Resurrection. It is where I bought my Ric 4003FG bass. I bought it after seeing it posted on their website. Just wired them some money and I had it in my hands in under a week. Amazing people.

I'll take pics Karen! #-o

You should also try the Cactus Cafe in the student union building at UT. Not so much a cafe but a live music venue. Fred Eaglesmith is there on Wednesday and Chris Knight on Thursday. It was just announced that it will be closing in August' date=' a sad day for music fans.

Fred[/quote']

That is incredibly sad news for acoustic music fans in Austin and the surrounding Hill Country area. Sorry to hear it.

More info on the closing of the Cactus Cafe (w/video)

I'm Bummed,

Guth

Gruene Hall, in Gruene (pronouced "green") Texas is about 40 minutes south of Austin. Someone notable will be playing there.

Also, take the trip to Wimberley through Driftwood, where you should eat at The Salt Lick. Then wash your hands and go on to Wimberley and some of the sweetest Collings you''ll ever see. Dwaine runs the place, and it's the best music store vibe around. Plug into that Matchless with something cool and work off the barbecue.

Have fun.

Archived