Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson pickup sample files.

jnastynebr

Players would benefit from being able to hear some demos of each Gibson pickup. I have not been able to find such a demo online, and it doesnt look like Gibson has put anything like this together. We the fourmites could assemble one, but everyone has different recording gear, amps, and a diverse collection of beautiful Les Pauls. Even if we threw one together, it may be a nice contribution to our fellow Gibson players, despite the many variables that are not controlled for.

Interesting idea. But IMHO you'd have to have these samples recorded through the same gear and same type of guitar in order for the samples to be useful.

Without samples taken with that type of control, the chart deepblue posted is, as he said, a good place to start.

Actually, Gibson used provide some of their dealers with a "quick pup swap" LP for demoing pickups, along with pups setup for swapping into the LP. Eventually Gibson released an 08 GOM called the LP Push Tone which is a retail version of the "quick pup swap" demoing LP. Anyway, the "quick pup swap" LP was a really good way to compare pups as they were in the same guitar played through the same gear.

LPg.. even though Gibson did have sound files.. they all said Gibson SG.. and I could not hear any difference between them (and yes I was wearing head phones).

So I felt that they (Gibson) cheated a bit and recorded 1 set of pickups and renamed the file on them to say SG with BB's and SG with 57's etc..

Nice top, Gatorslim.

The output chart helps, but with alnico II, III, V, and ceramic magnets, there are bound to be more diversity than just output levels. Even if one made a video/ audio demo and specified model, pups, amp, and EQ specs, a keen listener may find it useful. Many of us have different amps, so the thread could have samples of the same pups through different amps.

Nice top' date=' Gatorslim.

The output chart helps, but with alnico II, III, V, and ceramic magnets, there are bound to be more diversity than just output levels. Even if one made a video/ audio demo and specified model, pups, amp, and EQ specs, a keen listener may find it useful. Many of us have different amps, so the thread could have samples of the same pups through different amps. [/quote']

Yep, I dig the idea. When I get some recording gear, I will have no objection to participate. And I also agree that variety in amps / pedals / recording gear is a plus, not a minus. [thumbup]

Interesting idea. But IMHO you'd have to have these samples recorded through the same gear and same type of guitar in order for the samples to be useful.

Yes & no BK.

As long as the same control guitar(with pups)' date='mic and a flat EQ is used(no FX of course) is used then you [b']should[/b] be able to get an across the board sound...does that make sense?...you know what I mean.

Yes & no BK.

As long as the same control guitar(with pups)' date='mic and a flat EQ is used(no FX of course) is used then you [b']should[/b] be able to get an across the board sound...does that make sense?...you know what I mean.

Point well taken. [biggrin]

Archived