Gibson Brands Forums

So I'm thinking of buying some original Bumble Bees

ledzep59

What do you guys think? I figure if I am going to shell out over $40 for replicas, why not just get some real ones on ebay for around $70? I will make sure I buy some that are tested, not cracked, and don't leak. Can the lead be lengthened anyhow if the leads do not reach my pots?

smiley-shocked032.gif

That's the most expensive Pot I've ever encountered.

That listing is for 500 Chinese pots. [biggrin]

The vintage caps are worth the money and produce some killer tone. The .022 400v are the most expensive but you can still find some great deals on NOS caps if you look around.

What do you guys think? I figure if I am going to shell out over $40 for replicas' date=' why not just get some real ones on ebay for around $70? I will make sure I buy some that are tested, not cracked, and don't leak. Can the lead be lengthened anyhow if the leads do not reach my pots? [/quote']

ledzep,

A question: "replicas", or new made to original specs? =P~

... Steve W

Well the "replicas" I was considering were the Luxe bumblebee repros. I have no idea how they are made, but they are supposed to be close to the originals. I have seen that instead of buying luxe you can just cut out the middle man and get the Russion PIO caps, but they don't have the markings... : ) Well I just want my R9 to be as authentic and beautiful as possible, so I will probably go with original BB if I can get them for under $80. I just saved myself some money by installing some pickups myself instead of dropping off my Rachel with a stranger.

DAS- Yes, I am riggin it out. Brazilian board, cellulose nitrate inlays, stainless steel frets, grovers, I love this guitar and never EVER plan on selling it so I figure I will just make it as I please. I also just installed some new pups (Sheptone), but I will start a new thread regarding the pups.

That listing is for 500 Chinese pots. [biggrin]

The vintage caps are worth the money and produce some killer tone. The .022 400v are the most expensive but you can still find some great deals on NOS caps if you look around.

Whew!!!! I thought maybe it was made out of gold or smuggled out of Africa between the toes of oppressed labor.

If you're contemplating spending 70 bucks on a pair, why not check out old TV repair shops, if they have really old tube chassis around, there are an abundance of original BB caps in them. I know that RCA CTC chassis, and Zenith Y chassis had them in them. These are the same as Gibson used in the late 50s. They were very commonplace back then.

Don't do it.... Don't buy into the hype. Chances are the values of original bumble bees from the 60's don't retain their original values. You might say yeah that's what makes them sound good. OK so why not get new caps with the same values that the old one have today but are new... New caps aren't brittle, don't leak and chances are will sound the same... Save your money.

Don't do it.... Don't buy into the hype. Chances are the values of original bumble bees from the 60's don't retain their original values. You might say yeah that's what makes them sound good. OK so why not get new caps with the same values that the old one have today but are new... New caps aren't brittle' date=' don't leak and chances are will sound the same... Save your money.[/quote']

Same thing I was thinking. I have an R8.

... Steve W

Sounds like a cool project.

Have you ever considered the Page wiring like it comes on the sig models?

Oh I got the Page wiring in it already. It was A TON of fun wiring my new pickups with the 4-conductor cables. It only took me about 2 1/2 hours and I saved myself somewhere around $60 and the hassle of dropping off/pickup/dealing with people. Overall I am very pleased with myself for not messing anything up and I only burnt myself twice with the soldering iron. Everything turned out very nice.

Hall and Dave- I have been going back and forth. Right now your arguments seem pretty good. I also remind myself that I already have sprague black beauty caps in there (I have no idea how old they are) that sound nice assuming that you can hear caps. As for the "hype", it is debated because I have talked to professionals who believe that the original BB's are the way to go.

My Egnater rebel 30 head also arrives tomorrow and spring break starts tonight for me after I teach my 6:30-7:45 pm class. No lectures until the 14th and a whole new rig...it doesn't get much better.

Sprague Black Beauty caps are pretty much the same as BB's. I replaced the caps in my 68 LPC with Black Beauties and it definitely has a much warmer sound. Also replaced the pots with CGE's. To each their own.

Archived