Gibson Brands Forums

Should Rush's next album be a concept album?

rocketman

OK, this is for you Rush fans. There's been a lot of chatter on the web that they are starting to think about doing another album. Yeah!!! There are also rumors that their producer, Nick Raskulinecz, is trying to convince them to do a concept album like 2112. So what do you think?

Eh, concept albums are usually an excuse to put weird-*** songs in between good ones to tie it together.

No thanks.

Got a dozen damned good songs?

Let's hear 'em!!!

Got three cool songs with a bunch of filler taking up 40 minutes of the album?

I'll keep my money.

If it's what Peart feels like doing, since he's the lyricist, that would be great. I like a GOOD concept album, but there's nothing worse than a bad or forced Concept album, they start to sound like Gilbert and Sullivan.

Rush usually pulls it off, I think they'd scrap a project before letting a bad idea through.

I really can't say I've ever listened to a "concept" album that I liked front to back.

The Wall was pretty good, but it has some awfully oddball songs that would work nowhere else.

Played alone on the radio, some of those songs would force almost everybody to go channel surfing.

Kilroy Was Here?

Nope.

Tommy?

Sorry.

I dunno.

Maybe Rush could pull it off...

Yeah in my younger days when I had the time to listen to whole sides of LPs concept albums were cool. I always loved Genesis' Lamb Lies Down On Broadway and would sit up all night listening to it. Floyds The Wall also but nowdays couldn't be bothered except for select cuts.

My son asked me a good question yesterday. He new many of the progressive bands of my day (60's/70s) but what are the progressive bands of today.

I couldn't come up with one but then I'm really out of touch with whats out there today.

Anyone?

Yeah in my younger days when I had the time to listen to whole sides of LPs concept albums were cool. I always loved Genesis' Lamb Lies Down On Broadway and would sit up all night listening to it. Floyds The Wall also but nowdays couldn't be bothered except for select cuts.

My son asked me a good question yesterday. He new many of the progressive bands of my day (60's/70s) but what are the progressive bands of today.

I couldn't come up with one but then I'm really out of touch with whats out there today.

Anyone?

Avenged Sevenfold could do it, if they can bounce back from losing The Rev.

Eh' date=' concept albums are usually an excuse to put weird-*** songs in between good ones to tie it together.

No thanks.

Got a dozen damned good songs?

Let's hear 'em!!!

Got three cool songs with a bunch of filler taking up 40 minutes of the album?

I'll keep my money.[/quote']

hm... Alice Cooper things thoroughly of your career advice right now...

[biggrin]

Anyone?

For me, there is only Progressive Metal out there, not quite as much Progressive Rock. So:

Dream Theater

Fates Warning

Queensryche

could claim the 3 top positions.

Archived