Gibson Brands Forums

What should every guitarist be able to do?

Silenced Fred

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have no idea what half the chords I play are........or what key I am in...........I never had a lesson on guitar....used to play

the trombone and read music for it.........

I can set up a guitar as good or better than a so called tech.............I have a good time playing ......and like what I play.........

can I play others music..........maybe............but mine is mine and thats what I play..........anytime I have ever played for others

they listen and then at some point ask hey can you play such and such........and I go nah I only play my own thing...........

Then later they go ...you should be in a band........ha ha ha ha........

Cheers Blackie! You are not alone!!

Rob...

I think you hit one excellent point in terms of music being ... art ... rather than "science."

I know that sometimes I question my own timing on phrasing - why do I do what I do and is it "good" or is it simply how my brain thinks it should be. Frankly that's one of the main reasons I feel I'm terribly lacking in any sort of "talent."

Yet still there is a joy in playing music - to me especially guitar - that is unmatched by about anything else.

Yeah' date=' I love the zen of shooting sports and martial arts practice; yeah, I love study of a lotta stuff; yeah, I enjoy various physical pleasures ranging from a good meal to soaking in the heat from the sun on the first really warm spring day.

But honestly, picking guitar and working on technique and the challenge of performance... It's a gig that never tires. I wish that I had the talent to justify and support that sorta habit.

m

[/quote']

It was bound to happen, (my hitting on one excellent point!)

The clearest example of timing being an art rather then science, is listening to Willie Nelson. I was watching a concert with Chet Atkins, (who isn't a real guitarist 'cause no one ever saw him do pinch harmonics), and Walon was singing "The Outlaw". Halfway through, Willie strolled out on stage and sang his verse..... the difference was amazin'...Willie sings & plays lead just behind the beat. I'm sure it's technically not correct, but it IS pleasing to the ear, (and defines his "style").

I personally believe that to call oneself a "guitarist" one should be able to pick up any guitar and play with or without the use of effects and in any given situation. A good knowledge of notes and chords is essential and being able to know what particular key a song is being played in. Familiarity with modes wouldn't go astray either.

After going into guitar stores for years it's very clear. If you really want to be a guitar player you have to be able to play ten seconds of Stairway and the guitar part of Dueling Banjo's over and over again until everyone around you wants to slash a wrist. [crying]

---

Restringing guitars [confused]

It's always been amazing to me how many people can't put strings on the damn guitar by themselves. I have a lady that pay's me 60 bucks every month to put strings on all three of her guitars and she brings the strings. She's actually a pretty good player and has a great voice but she says that she had a string pop once when she was putting strings and when the string popped up and hit her face she totally freaked out thinking it had put her eye out and blinded her. I guess it didn't even break the skin, but it scared the hell out of her and she has never put strings on again and says she never will.

Put up with Bullsh!t.

Drink.

Prepare for deafness in latter years (IF you make it that far)

Get used to bankruptcy/vagrancy/despondency and plenty of other words that end in "cy"...sie...see...

Beg from those that you despise

Wish in the years after that you could go back and do it all again for the simple fact that you now cannot remember half the things that occured...but some of those blank memories are just that for a very good reason.

Drink...oh yeah - see above.

Every guitarist should be able to play the G string well enough to make that thong fall off.

You ALL know you have a special pantie dropper song' date=' don't lie.[/quote']

Well...supposin' I didn't...what would you say it should be?...

Depends on the type of girl you want to pick up.

I like the nerdy, sensitive type.

Glasses, reads Dostoevsky drinks coffee.

I use Mazzy Star's Into Dust.

If you like underage girls learn some Muse.

If you like rocker chicks pick some Led, any Led...not Stairway, and if you're not awesome yet, AC/DC.

^^V

Know music theory and be able to read music.

You don't have to read music or have alot of theory, most of the finest guitarists can't read a lick, but can make a guitar weep. You do need a sense of timing and expression when playing, just make the song you're own. It comes from inside of you.

Archived