Gibson Brands Forums

Explain Buckethead to me...

Silenced Fred

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have just 'aquired' his whole discography....I'm not really into 'shredding', but his stuff is like guitar heavy Residents...crossed with Captain Beefheart...

I think the reason most people don't get it, is that it's very different to most mainstream music...in both production values, and content...having listened to The Residents for years it's not sooo 'alien' sounding to me...even the drum machines...

It's also humorous...(Zappa would be proud) so the serious rock contingent very rarely 'get it'...

Basically if you have long hair, tattoo's, and think bands like Aerosmith, Van Halen etc are cool...you will hate it...

If, on the other hand you wanna go 'Fast and Bulbous'....you will love it..[lol]

I have just 'aquired' his whole discography....I'm not really into 'shredding'' date=' but his stuff is like guitar heavy Residents...crossed with Captain Beefheart...

I think the reason most people don't get it, is that it's very different to most mainstream music...in both production values, and content...having listened to The Residents for years it's not sooo 'alien' sounding to me...even the drum machines...

It's also humorous...(Zappa would be proud) so the serious rock contingent very rarely 'get it'...

Basically if you have long hair, tattoo's, and think bands like Aerosmith, Van Halen etc are cool...you will hate it...

If, on the other hand you wanna go 'Fast and Bulbous'....you will love it..[lol

I don't like Aerosmith, nor Van Halen. I have short hair, no tattoos. I like Joe Perry, but only his solo work.

It's not that his music is terrible, I just don't get why people put him on a god pedestal.

Basically if you have long hair' date=' tattoo's, and think bands like Aerosmith, Van Halen etc are cool...you will hate it...

[/quote']

Long hair, I'Ve got.

Tattoos....3 so far

Aerosmith...I have 2 albums

VH.....I don't own any but I don't dislike them (DLR days)

hate for BH? No. Like him? eh...I won't be buying any of his albums but I can't say I hate him. Still really like the vid of him doing the Willy Wonka song.

What's the saying? Let sleeping dogs lie? Something to that effect. Some people like him, some people don't. Some people eat french fries w/ a fork, some people don't. It's ok. When it comes to music, if you have to continually ask why, you will never know.

Shred...where did you find that image? [confused]

Well if you really want to have a crack at understanding him, listen to "electric tears", "population override", "colma", and "the elephant man's alarm clock". If there's nothing in there that you like, you'll never get him. Then you can put this issue to rest.

Can't force it. I tried to like him too.

See, I know a lot of people who like him. I listen to instrumental rock, I like it. I listen to some shredding, but for some reason, I can't really sit through a whole song of his. Boyvader put it pretty well, I guess.

Well if you really want to have a crack at understanding him' date=' listen to "electric tears", "population override", "colma", and "the elephant man's alarm clock". If there's nothing in there that you like, you'll never get him. Then you can put this issue to rest. [/quote']

I actually liked electric tears as well as whitewash I think its called.

I still don't get the bucket, but those songs were pretty good.

Thanks for the recommendations man

Bucket: He's going bald and no other hat is big enough to fit on his head.

mask: he's ugly......or he thinks he's too pretty and that would distract people from his music [confused]

I'm sure he just doesn't want to be recognized walking down the street.

We all know it's you, Weird Al!You traded your accordian for a guitar.

I can honestly say that I don't believe BH has released a "shredding" album in about 6-7 years....its all been cool melodic rock tunes lately with some great solos that have SOME shred...

Just to clear up the misconception that he is simply a shredder.

You still don't like him....cool with me y'all!

Archived