Gibson Brands Forums

'politics' and music

milod

Bagpipes....

Oh....

[biggrin]

Sooner listen to Weird Al on accordian.

[biggrin]

Hey, I like Bagpipes! ;>) Stirs my Scots-Irish soul! In fact, on a visit to my ancestral homeland,

Dumfries Scotland, they had a bagpipe (and drum) band, march down the street, to welcome us.

It was an amazing, tear-eyed, lump in the throat, experience! And, yes...they did play "Amazing Grace,"

among many other tunes.

Sorry....just had to get that out. ;>)

CB

Believe what you want to believe, express it, as is everyone's right (so far, anyway).

But, allow the other person, to do likewise, with respect. I don't always agree or disagree with

everyone here, on everything. SO WHAT?! Doesn't mean I have to try to persuade them

to my way(s) thinking, either. I think "Political Correctness" is killing this country, not saving it.

Let folks make up their own minds, given good (truthful) information, and expeirence all the

consequences, of that freedom. Instead, we're (all too often) at one another's throats, because...

our ego's (mostly), have been bruised. It's really just egomaniacal power plays, be it political,

religious, economic, whatever....Individually, State, Country, etc.

CB[/quote

One of the most annoying thing about many christians is being accosted on the streeet to tell me they have a better way of living for me and that my way is sin and I need to embrace their Jesus as my personal savior. This could be a good place for don't ask, don't tell. Keep it to yourself.

When I was in Scotland' date=' it was cool as hell.

When I listen to old AC/DC, I've gotten used to it and hey, [i']it's AC/DC[/i]!

Beyond that, eh, sorry....

[lol]

LOL...yeah, done properly, both playing technique, and in the right context, they are quite stirring.

Improperly (especially playing technique)...then it's "Fingernails on the Chalkboard" time.

CB

One of the most annoying thing about many christians

... tell me they have a better way of living for me and that my way is sin

... I need to embrace their Jesus

I attend church regularly' date=' and that very same thing pisses ME off.

Yes, I get that even within those hallowed walls - for no more than a couple sentences...

;)

I'll keep walking and ignore it if I can but, as I said before, I will step into the breech as needed.

I've probably offended as many Christian "crusaders" as I have secular ones.

If [b']Don't Ask/Tell[/b] is the way you wanna look at it, that's fine with me.

I'm usually pretty careful about mixing metaphors that are emblematic of different causes though.

Fewer cans to put worms back into that way, unless your can opener is working overtime...

If Don't Ask/Tell is the way you wanna look at it, that's fine with me.

I'm usually pretty careful about mixing metaphors that are emblematic of different causes though.

Fewer cans to put worms back into that way, unless your can opener is working overtime...

Mixing metaphors is a comedic device, not meant to have any "deep" meaning.

I thought the words were part of the Catholic liturgy' date=' hail Mary and all. But being as I'm not a christian, I may be wrong.[/quote']

No; you are right. Gounod merely interpreted a certain portion of the text and transcribed it as required in such a fashion as to fit the meter of the score.

To get back on track of Milo's original thread I always thought Link Wray's 'Rumble' was, in fact, meant to be about a gang stand-off/fight. Am I wrong? WHAT! AGAIN???

;)

Rumble...

Yeah.... it's one of those things. I don't know if Link came up with the tune and then named it or if he had a name and tried to match it with music. I've a hunch the former.

But yeah, "rumble" definitely meant a 1950s-style gang fight that is almost laughably mild compared to stuff one hears about today, but then it was a different world.

Then again, hey, it was just music, no lyric.

m

From Wikikpedia:

"Rumble" is an influential[1] rock instrumental by Link Wray & His Ray Men. Originally released in 1958, "Rumble" utilized then-unexplored techniques like distortion and feedback. The song is "the only instrumental single banned from the radio airwaves."[2] It is also described as the first song to use the power chord,[3] the "major modus operandi of [the] modern rock guitarist".[1]

[edit]History

At a live gig in Fredericksburg, Virginia, attempting to work up a backing for The Diamonds' "The Stroll," Link Wray and his Ray Men came up with the stately, powerful blues instrumental "Rumble," which they originally called "Oddball." The song was an instant hit with the live audience, which demanded four repeats that night.

Eventually the song came to the attention of record producer Archie Bleyer of Cadence Records, who hated it, particularly after Wray poked holes in his amplifier's speakers to make the recording sound more like the live version; however, Bleyer's stepdaughter loved it and it was released despite his protest. Phil Everly heard it and suggested the title Rumble, as it had a rough sound and said it sounded like a street fight.

It was banned in several radio markets because the term rumble was a slang term for a gang fight, and it was feared that the song's harsh sound glorified "juvenile delinquency.

I didn't know the "whole story," but it sounds right.

Link wasn't the greatest technical guitarist the world ever had seen, and knew it - but he also was very innovative in terms of "a sound." He also was pretty much of a rebel type, although he did rather decently in a military stint.

But we also have to recall that in the 50s, "juvenile delinquency" was a big, big deal. Switchblade knives, etc... movies all over the place about "the problem," and even a famed musical "West Side Story" was based on the thing.

The issue here is, and I admit it bothers me somewhat, how people will grasp onto an instrumental piece of music and suddenly it means something different than "art." Again, with a lyric I can agree to something being objectionable. But a long, long line of incredible music has taken a rap for what it ain't. I'm no supporter of a certain 20th Century political belief, but it bothers me that Wagner is considered politically incorrect because a certain political monster liked his work which was "nationalistic" in a sense. But then Shakespeare also was more than a little nationalistic.

Cultures seem to have certain fears that make certain things "politically incorrect" at various times. We laugh now at the very idea of banning a guitar instrumental apparently because of its name, but the name plus the raw sound and the time period? Hey, there were major movements against the "evils" of "Rock and Roll."

As for the "christians" who bug others all the time, I think they bother most people, just like the overt communists bugged me when I was in college and just like the overly-fervent "believers" of almost any group that encourages cult-like behavior because it reinforces the "in crowd" solidarity through intentionally angering everybody else.

BTW, I would also tend to agree that pushing for a lawsuit over a piece of music doesn't send the sort of message to today's youth that I would care to advocate. But then also, even as a kid I was more PR minded. <grin>

m

Archived