Gibson Brands Forums

72 recording frets

retrosurfer1959

well here's the whole story have a 1972 Recording model pretty much 100% stock and pristine in fact it's so untouched it still has the stock fretless wonder frets installed that while playable takes much of the fun and most of the technique out of playing one of these old birds. I have been to four guitar techs so far two said hell yea refrett it'll play like a monster then. Two others have said - Hell no leave it alone it gorgeous and stock the fretts have no wear at all they were made that way deal with it. it's sacrilege to change it.

My main tech even said to leave it alone telling be i already redid the 1976 recording model to play like a new guitar this clean one should stay stock so what do you think. Violate the old lady and make her wail again or respecty our elder wood and leave it alone until needed for a lineup of sold.

help me decide whats your thoughts.

If it was your only guitar then it must be made as playable as possible.

However;

I'm with Dave on this 100%.

If there really is no fretwear then I'd be delighted knowing I have an unusual guitar in great condition that just needs a different approach when playing.

You have more guitars than is strictly necessary (Brit understatement!) and I'm sure one at least would fit in with anything you really need to do.

Just enjoy it being a bit of an 'Old Master', the likes of which we may never see again.

I like lower frets but probably for a different reason - I tend to fret too hard and, when the frets are high like jumbos, I bend the strings over the frets and the guitar sounds out of tune. Love my LP Custom, love my 57 RI Strat and love my 52 RI Tele for their small frets since I can play how I play; with the rest of my guitars which have larger frets, I have to be mindful of not mauling them when I play.

I also tend to agree with the "leave it stock" camp, especially since you have already modified the '76 for playability. A refret will greatly affect the value of the instrument as a "collector" or vintage piece.

When I had played the frets off my 1975 ES-335 (about the year 2000), I chose to sell it as "stock" for the greater amount, and replaced it with a new Historic Series '59 ES-345. The money was pretty close to being even on the exchange, and I made 4 times what I payed for the 335.

Although I've NEVER bought a guitar solely as a "collector's piece", I do play vintage instruments. When I no longer play one, or it becomes "worn out", I sell it. The Vintage and Collector market is a mess at the moment, like eveything else in the world economy, and I wouldn't recommend selling anything right now. You might consider putting it under the bed for a couple of years and selling it as "stock" when the market gets better. Then you can always use those funds for a new toy that you would play and enjoy.

I also tend to agree with the "leave it stock" camp, especially since you have already modified the '76 for playability. A refret will greatly affect the value of the instrument as a "collector" or vintage piece.

When I had played the frets off my 1975 ES-335 (about the year 2000), I chose to sell it as "stock" for the greater amount, and replaced it with a new Historic Series '59 ES-345. The money was pretty close to being even on the exchange, and I made 4 times what I payed for the 335.

Although I've NEVER bought a guitar solely as a "collector's piece", I do play vintage instruments. When I no longer play one, or it becomes "worn out", I sell it. The Vintage and Collector market is a mess at the moment, like eveything else in the world economy, and I wouldn't recommend selling anything right now. You might consider putting it under the bed for a couple of years and selling it as "stock" when the market gets better. Then you can always use those funds for a new toy that you would play and enjoy.

I'm not going to vote, because it's your guitar.

I beat a '72 Recording to death, as you know retro......

I wish I had it back, but not for any value, or piece of history thing. Just because it was a helluva good gigger, solid, very unique, and a part of my life for a decade and a half.

I say if you like it and plan to play it, set it up for you.

Best to ya.

My 1980 LPC in pristine shape, I couldn't deal with the low/wide flat frets as well. So last April I had completely new frets installed, and some scalloping done to the fret-board.

IMO, doing a fret job doesn't kill the value, (if that's what you're worried about).

Archived