Gibson Brands Forums

Old Gibson Acoustic (with pics!)

hby18202

Hey guys,

So my wife's mother has this gibson she's had since she was a kid. She says she purchased it from a music shop around 1972. The main reason I'm posting is it appears as if it's in pretty good condition, and we were wondering if anyone hear has any clue about the model or the value of the guitar. She says she's called gibson and they couldn't offer too much. I tried to get the best pics I could of the serial, and It appers to say "6N". Any information about the guitar or the value would be greatly appreciated. (I also put a new set of strings on it and it sounds/plays awesome, and holds tune very well)

p3260020g.th.jpg

p3260021.th.jpg

p3260022.th.jpg

p3260023b.th.jpg

p3260024.th.jpg

Thanks ahead of time for any help.

It's an FJ-N. It wasn't a very popular model when it was being produced but the ones I've seen lately have brought pretty good prices.

It wasn't a quality issue, there just wasn't much market for a dreadnaught style guitar with a 2" wide fingerboard. They had a smaller version (sort of) called the F-25 which was more successful.

Edit: Here's a copy-paste from a collector's site:

FJN (Folk Singer Jumbo) Flattop

Available: 1963 to 1967

Collectibility Rating: D-

Because it's square-shoulder, 2" wide nut, braced for classical style strings, there aren't a lot of collectors interested in this model.

1963 FJN specs:

16.25" wide, square shoulder dreadnought, mahogany back and sides, bridge with upper belly and straight mounted saddle, double white pickguards, multiple bound top, bound fingerboard with double parallelogram inlays, crown peghead ornamentation, pearl "gibson" logo, natural top finish, deep red finish on back and sides.

1967 FJN discontinued.

Thanks so much for the help! When you say the ones you've seen lately have brought pretty good prices, could you elborate more?

I understand nothing is for certain, and with this economy things have changed... But could you ballpark what it's worth? Thanks again KS, that was really helpful.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi hby18202' date='

I'm looking for one of these and have sent you an email/PM.

Best,

Hans[/quote']

I hope it works out well. I have one of the smaller F-25 versions and absolutely love it and its big fat wide neck.

• 3 months later...
Really fugly pickguards.

Ain't that the truth. For whatever reason the double pickguard became associated with "folk guitars". But they were so popular in the 1960s that I have run into old guitars that had the original scratchplate removed and those double pickguards put on. But if you really want to see nasty' date=' check this one out - that butt ugly thing is screwed onto a mid-1950s Epiphone.

[img']http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g5/zombywoof51/Guitars/EpiFT79-3.jpg[/img]

F25s usually sell for around $1000 on ebay. i've been watching them on and off for about a year now. the good ones going slightly closer to $1100 but most with minor issues going for $900. one has been for sale many times and has not sold; possibly because of neck reset issues. i like the pickguard. just me. i pity all the freaks. lol.

re: fugly epi pickguard

last time i saw something like that i was at red lobster and this guy was wearing one...

102_0198.jpg

I've had my F-25 since 1982 and I love it. The ugly pickguards were gone when I got it and they left a "shadow" behind. The top also had been refinished in a rather cheap way - acrylic I think instead of nitro - which makes its collector value almost nothing but as a player it's priceless.

Archived