Gibson Brands Forums

Can anyone translate this serial number?

onewilyfool

Maybe somebody can clear something up for me....

1) Do the second, third and fourth digits represent the day the guitar was started or finished, and

2) Do the last three digits represent the guitar's place in the guitars finished that particular day, or does it represent the work order number for that guitar on the day construction was started (or the soundbox finished, etc.)?

1) The necks are semi-built when they are stamped. About that time the neck is 'married' to a body and they then go on to be joined and the guitar finished. So really that (translated) date is neither the day it's started nor the day it's finished. I think the typical process is 2 or 3 weeks long but I suppose it's possible for that period to be extended for a number of reasons.

2) The first neck stamped that day is 001, the second 002, etc.

Maybe somebody can clear something up for me....

1) Do the second' date=' third and fourth digits represent the day the guitar was started or finished[/quote']

Probably neither. All is just the day the serial number was STAMPED (digits 2-3-4), and the next sequential number (last three digits) following the one that was stamped before it. There is no rocket science involved.

At what point in the build process the serial number is stamped would have to be answered by someone from the factory floor. I would suspect after assembly and sanding, but before finishing, which would also be before hardware and electronincs.

At what point in the build process the serial number is stamped would have to be answered by someone from the factory floor.

Here's a picture of the machine that does the stamping.

IMG_0400.jpg

This is the last workstation on the line that constructs the necks. As Scott said, stamping is the last step before the neck is joined to the body and the guitar is finished.

-- Bob R

We assign a DOM, (Date Of Manufacture), to a bus when it comes out of assembly plant, before it goes to paint, and before it goes through trim, (seats, windows, etc.).

I equate this date to the date the vehicle becomes a bus. I suspect Gibson uses the date the neck is attached to the body as the date the pieces become a guitar.

Either that or the number "12" in the binary system!

I think you mean 17. Unless you were using base 15 but forgot to mention it.

But then, come to think of it, how could you mention it? No matter what the base, one would say "I'm using base 10".

-- Bob R

Archived