Gibson Brands Forums

The Sword, anyone?

I love The Sword. Their guitar work and lyrics are outstanding. J.D. Cronise's voice isn't great, but it's good enough to pull it off. I don't really understand why they're considered "hipster metal", because that implies that real metal fans can't like them. I love that it's not Cookie Monster metal, where it's just growling and screaming lyrics. Any defenders? Detractors?

I dig 'em. I think the 'hipster metal' thing is a result mostly of the crowd that follows them (young kids, girl jeans, flat-iron friendly haircuts with sweeping bangs, that kind of crap). I think the sword can hang with other metal bands though. Some metal fans can be pretty snobbish (myself included) so I can see how some circles of die hard metal fans would dismiss them. Overall, I think they're pretty good. I played the $% out of 'Age of Winters when I first got it. I'd rather listen to Sleep or High On Fire personally.

Well.... <chortle>

I lettered in fencing, used foil, epee and saber.

Still have a samurai and mid 1800s officer saber.

I do enjoy swords - but don't really know what youse guys are talking about. <chuckle>

m

All kidding aside guys...

You younger pickers do help to keep me young. Truly.

You're one reason I'm on this forum.

I don't know the bands and - I hate to say this - I really don't get into music by artist names really, and I didn't get into bands and stuff even when I was gigging with a band unless it was to learn stuff to play for money.

But if you're having fun pickin', and you're here to learn more just like I am...

I'm glad you're here.

BTW, the current avatar - I'll probably leave it up a while - came from a piece I did for a magazine on combat use of that particular saber.

m

Never heard of 'em.

I'll keep an ear open.

Milod, I'll defer to you in matters of the blade.

Hell, I rarely carry a pocket knife - just keep a few laying around and in each vehicle.

Always liked 'em, just never learned anything about 'em.

Mrs. Neo's father is an ex-Marine, has dozens and dozens of various knifes/swords in his collection.

I don't think any are worth a great deal of money, but some are older than dirt.

Neo...

When my Dad and other guys from the little town where I spent my first 14 years went off to WWII, the local dentist who also was a knifemaker, made blades for each. Dad kept his.

I still have it somewhere.

It's the only knife I've ever had that you could dangle saddle skirting from your left hand and slice through it with a knife in your right and hardly feel it. It's technically far too hard and brittle for almost any purposes under the sun. but...

m

Yeah, J.D.'s singing voice isn't that great. The funny thing is, he sounds a lot better live than on the albums. The Sword is actually working with a producer on their 3rd album, so I'm hoping for better vocals, less crash on the cymbals, and an overall improvement in quality. Hoping.

On a side note, Indianapolis sucks. We have no metal scene at all, and almost no music scene to speak of. Everyone here loves Nickelback.

i see the sword live when they supported metallica last year here in london' date=' they were ok but...i soon forgot about them once i got home...[/quote']

Same here. Not so w/ Gojira. I remember how I felt when I heard them. I can't remember anything about the Sword except on guy was using a Explorer II and they looked like 70s hippies. Tight shirts, bell bottoms, etc

"Hipster Metal" is what metalheads call bands that they think aren't real metal. Metal that is accepted by more than just hardcore metal fans. Basically what Twizz said....there are a lot of people that don't usually like metal but end up liking some metal bands, so those bands are shunned by the "real" metalheads. It's a bunch of bullshit, really.

"Hipster Metal" is what metalheads call bands that they think aren't real metal. Metal that is accepted by more than just hardcore metal fans. Basically what Twizz said....there are a lot of people that don't usually like metal but end up liking some metal bands' date=' so those bands are shunned by the "real" metalheads. It's a bunch of bull****, really.[/quote']

That is stupid. That's why I hate metal fans. I LOVE metal but the fans can be so g-damn nit picky about who fits into which genre. There's like 100 kinds of metal and people try so hard to categorize them. We should call it "Gateway metal" because it can lead you to other forms of metal [cool]

"Hipster Metal" is what metalheads call bands that they think aren't real metal. Metal that is accepted by more than just hardcore metal fans. Basically what Twizz said....there are a lot of people that don't usually like metal but end up liking some metal bands' date=' so those bands are shunned by the "real" metalheads. It's a bunch of bull****, really.[/quote']

i regard myself as someone who loves and accepts ALL music, been a metallica fan for 20 yrs same for ac/dc and any other rock/metal band you can think of...

and i also like a bit of this...[cool]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A14JkvnguJA[/YOUTUBE]

people can put me in whatever catagory they like, fact of the matter is i like who i like and they like who they like...:-$

Okay, all teasing aside...

One thing that gets to me about post 1960s bands is the degree of "costuming" that I've seen.

The question of lifestyle and appearance, on and off stage or whatever, is far from a new one. It goes back well over a century or more. Tonio Kröger is a German language novella by Thomas Mann and published in 1903 that hits this sort of concept whether one "agrees" or not that an "artist" is outside the mainstream of life.

There's BB in a jacket and tie singing blues. Ditto most of the older jazz guitar greats, classical guitar greats, etc.

Even the Stones basically wore street clothes on stage, although that was considered a bit radical at the time.

Now? I almost wish I didn't have to look at various bands because that "look" sometimes turns me off without even listening. That "look" may help with younger audiences, though. I dunno. I actually like some of the newer music if I don't have to watch at the same time. <grin>

I guess what bothers me is that it almost seems as if "look" and "show" have taken over music. Yeah, it's always been about "entertainment" but... I guess it's gone in a direction I find hard to follow. Then there's the differentiation of subgenres of just "metal" that seem almost more appearance than musical style????

You could find a few folks who might suggest that not only was I something of a musical free spirit in my youth, but that I ain't changed much. But I never felt I had to costume myself to express that. The 1860-70 military uniform is something I wear as a "living historian." When it's off, it's off.

Maybe it's just the times... and a marketing need to differentiate one band from another through costume and appearance rather than the music itself. But sometimes I get the impression people ain't doing costumes on the outside as much as trying to create one inside.

???

m

there are a lot of people that don't usually like metal but end up liking some metal bands...

Yeah' date=' I had seen Metallica a couple times opening for other bands, didn't really care for them.

Too much for me, I'm not 'METAL' enough to really care. The music did nothing for me.

I remember when I first heard 's [b']Enter Sandman[/b] - I thought "finally something I like..."

The Black Album had some good, heavy rock riffs, more common song structures, good solos.

Well, things changed with the new album, they were getting played on rock radio, and headlining a tour.

Looked like it was all coming together for them.

Then I see all the die-hard Metallica fan(boys) calling them sell-outs.

Kinda funny...

[biggrin]

Then I see all the die-hard Metallica fan(boys) calling them sell-outs.

Kinda funny...

[confused]

off topic...You will NEVER here me say they sold out...those are the metal fans I'm talking about. Putting all these rules on metal. I have been defending Metallica through all that nonsense. I like Load, I love Reload, I like St. Anger (the album). I love St ANger (the song).

Archived