Gibson Brands Forums

Songs that define rock and roll!

To me, I couldn't think of one song that defines R&R better than Johnny B. Goode. But you could also look to Little Richard or Jerry Lee Lewis or Eddie Cochran for songs that define original rock and roll.

Edit: sorry I missed above.

now' date=' everytime I hear about Little Richard, I think of "Tutti-Fruti"..... a song about gay sex.... "Tutti-Fruti, Good booty"

I think I'll go pry my mind's eye out![/quote']

Did you ever hear Pat Boone's version of that. Disturbing.

Did you ever hear Pat Boone's version of that. Disturbing.

Yeah.... I heard Little Richard DID that song to prevent Pat Boone from doin' his stuff. Richard was tee'd off 'cause Boone sold more copies of Richard's song than Richard did!

Yeah.... I heard Little Richard DID that song to prevent Pat Boone from doin' his stuff. Richard was tee'd off 'cause Boone sold more copies of Richard's song than Richard did!

Kind of backwards. The record company wanted a safe white performer to sing real rock and roll which at the time was referred to as "race music". They feared that the white audience would not buy music done by a crazy black man.

Kind of backwards. The record company wanted a safe white performer to sing real rock and roll which at the time was referred to as "race music". They feared that the white audience would not buy music done by a crazy black man.

Talk about backwards-backwards... Buddy Holly & The Crickets were supposedly booked at the Apollo Theater because the Apollo's management thought they were black.

Isn't the "hole" Tutti-Fruti" thing "backwards" anyway?

What I heard is that Boone was singing Little Richard's stuff for just the reason you stated....so Little Richard did "Tutti-Fruti" because he was SURE Boone wouldn't release it.

Talk about backwards-backwards... Buddy Holly & The Crickets were supposedly booked at the Apollo Theater because the Apollo's management thought they were black.

Kind of points out the racial divide as it was on the 50's. The Apollo is in Harlem and was a "black" club. Back then it seemed to matter.

Archived