Gibson Brands Forums

Songs that define rock and roll!

your hot sweet and sticky

My favorite rock and roll is raunchy, sex driven, no hold barred, louder-guitar driven boggie-woogin' rock and roll

I feel if you look up rock and roll in the dictionary, these are the songs that would be listed, songs about dive bar rumbles, girls of questionable integrity, and most importantly, LOTS OF GUITAR!

Excellent choice with Sammy and Montrose!

And any band with three smokin' guitar players onstage is cool with me - redneck that I am.

Get on my bike? only if it has a motor....

But, I gotta go with Rock n Roll.

dem00n ain't no redneck....

:)

What the fxck is this?

Notification

You can't post in the next 0 seconds.

...................................................................... OK

:-)

[lol]/

Great selections so far. "Johnny B. Goode" is the archetypal rocker--and so is "Rock And Roll," a little while later. All pretty good stuff.

Well, as for my selections?...They may be obscure songs, and they may be something more of a rock/soul hybrid, but I've always liked Wilson Pickett's songs "Ninety-Nine and a Half" and "Mini-Skirt Minnie."

The former is probably more well-known from the CCR cover, and the latter...Well, I'm not sure. I know that The Plimsouls did a pretty good cover of it back in 1981.

Here I present, the covers (I couldn't find quality copies of the originals on YouTube):

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

They're covers, yeah, but I think they're both quality recordings. That's the power of strong songwriting--a good song can take a lot of abuse before it's ruined.

I could've gone for more obvious songs, but I've been listening to a lot of Wilson lately, and I think they're great tunes, very rock and roll. I wonder how they ever managed to fit so much soul into one man.

...Well...A man and a half, I guess, according to him...

Here's one that's before any of those.

Johnny Be Good

CW

I'm sorry....there is no need to ask further.... Johnny B. Goode defines "Rock 'N Roll".... settled.

By the way..... "Rock 'N Roll" was a blues euphemism for making the beast with two backs, so hot & sweaty is perfectly reasonable!

This song started it all. May not have the killer guitar punch of Johnny B. Good, but you cannot deny this was some revolutionary sound for the late 40s.

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

I agree... Bo "invented" the "CHUNKA-CHUNKA-CHUNK CHUNKA-CHUNK" beat.... was always underrated......

Definitely. I can still hear Bo's riffs in stuff today.

Also, I'm proud to mention that Norma-Jean Wofford (I think that's her playing rhythm in this vid) is from Pittsburgh. *Sigh* I'm in love.

This song started it all. May not have the killer guitar punch of Johnny B. Good' date=' but you cannot deny this was some revolutionary sound for the late 40s.

[YOUTUBE']

[/YOUTUBE]

Ike may have been a difficult jerk but he is definitely a founding pillar of rock.

Ike may have been a difficult jerk but he is definitely a founding pillar of rock.

I agree 100%. In my mind he is the unsung hero of rock&roll. Too bad his legacy was tarnished by false claims that he beat Tina. Even she came out and said that junk was embellished in the film.

Definitely Chuck Berry but...

Heck, Rock Around the Clock made a big splash.

Link Wray, Rumble - archetype of a more "pure" rock guitar in many ways.

Loads of electric blues players that aren't recognized for playing stuff similar to Berry but not known.

The 50s and early pre-Beatle 60s were an interesting time of dozens of styles competing for "teen" dollars to buy records. Call it "rock" as we did then, or whatever you want, it all created a platform of interest, equipment and technique that set the stage for what you younger guys see as rock.

I personally find it interesting to hear young pickers talking about the good old rock 'n' roll with a far different perspective than I had "in the day." What the heck, even in the mid '60s a lotta regional "rock" and "country" bands both were still doing slow-dance versions of "Blue Moon" and inevitably a few guys were still headed out of the joint for some fisticuffs over which guy was dancing with which girl during the playing of it. <grin>

m

Pretty cool that this thread has started getting way back to rock's roots. I am about 1/8 into Levon Helm's book on the Band and the interesting changes going on in the late 50's & early 60's when he was drumming for the Hawks. That time between when Elvis went into the military and the Beatles exploded in the States was pretty interesting, musically.

Evol... You called it. That's also the time period when I was in my own "mid teen angst" and listening to a lot of it. You'd hear anything from BB to Freddy Cannon to "The Lonely Bull" and the Fleetwoods doing what essentially was jazz but was on the rock stations instead. Johnny and the Hurricanes and stuff like "Red River Rock"

There were the "teen angst" movies like "Because They're Young." In retrospect it was awfully mild in comparison to stuff nowadays, but at the time it was a big deal. There were sweet bird singers and "beach" movies that are also mild nowadays, but gee, the girls were in ... gulp ... bikinis! And there was a surfer-like rock music background.

Lots of sax. In fact, some would say in those years that you can't have rock without a sax. I guess the fuzz box kinda took that over.

Lots of do-wop. Girls wearing skirts that were as voluminous as today's square dance outfits, and "can can" thingies that made the skirts fluff out. They'd dance to the rock of the time with roughly the same style as 30s and 40s "jitterbug" moves and spins that ... OMG! flipped up the skirt so you could seen the girls' knees!

It truly was a different world. Drive-in movies (known as the "passion pit" for teen dates and black and white stupid sci fi movies nobody wanted to watch anyway) then off to the root beer stand before taking "sally" home... "Hollywood" mufflers and four-barrel carbs on cars and maybe a Hurst shifter and cheater slicks.

<grin> Son, you're gonna drive me to drinkin' if you don't stop... the hero of Highway 101... the leader of the pack... Downtown... and there ain't no cure for the summertime blues...

Funny, in ways, it ain't changed much.

m

Rock n roll..... my first thought is mid to late 50's america.

which songs or music? well i agree regarding chuck berry and "Johnny B good" but i would also add, jerry lee lewis "great balls of fire" and most of Buddy holly's collection.

Archived