Gibson Brands Forums

R8 vs. R9

STLBlues

So there is absolutely no difference between the R8 and R9 except the figured top and thickness of the neck on the R9 correct? [blink]

Possibly a bigger difference than you may imagine.

The thickness of the '58 necks isn't to everyones taste. The shaping process also seems to result in the larger 'heel' at the base of the neck - which (to a small degree) impinges on upper-fret access. Unfortunately I find R8's almost unplayable as their neck's relative girth gives me hand-cramps after about fifteen minutes play-time.

Although the common wisdom (and it's from an impeccable source here on this forum) says that all re-issues use the same gauge fret-wire' date=' in practice some [i']do[/i] seem to differ from others and '58s occasionally do seem to have the narrower gauge wire.

As always; play any- and everything you can find and make your choice.

but R9's typically use lighter wood.

That's very interesting, eldiablo.

I've never heard about '59s getting the lighter wood. Can we hear more from you on the subject please?

They do have slightly stricker weight requirements for R9/R0s but that doesn't mean much. They'll use wood set aside for R9s on other reissues; so, you will see very light R7s, R8s, etc. Historics are all the same nowadays but they used to be differernt. Before '03 (I think), only R9s came with CTS/Bees. The rest had Gibson USA parts. I've played countless '05 - present historics and the only one with noticably different frets is my Pearly reissue.

Generally it appears R9's get the lighter wood over R8's.

But I have seen some really light R8's come out the past 2 years or so...

But never as light as the lightest R9's I've seen...

it's rare to find an R9 over 9lbs where it is much more common for an R8...

This is a well known pic taken from inside Gibson's Custom Shop

I don't know how strictly Gibson follows this.

GibsonLespaulWeights.jpg

Generally it appears R9's get the lighter wood over R8's.

But I have seen some really light R8's come out the past 2 years or so...

But never as light as the lightest R9's I've seen...

it's rare to find an R9 over 9lbs where it is much more common for an R8...

This is a well known pic taken from inside Gibson's Custom Shop

I don't know how strictly Gibson follows this.

GibsonLespaulWeights.jpg

My 2007 R9 tips the scales at 9.1 Lbs. So if the weight limit is 8 Lbs, then I assume the maple

top and all the assorted goodies ie..Pups, and hardware etc should bring in a pound or two?

Blue, that's for Les Paul backs. I'm guessing it applies to the slab of mahogany before it's cut into the LP shape. (I also think this was disused here once a long, long time ago)

Neo, my PG's frets are about 60 - 70% the height of regular historic frets. Same width but super low.

Bs = BB = Black Beauties.

GT = Gold Top.

Rookies :-

I know, I know. You are master of the historics.

Just remember that I'm still young- I am just now beginning to amass my knowledge/collection of reissues...

One day, Arenine, one day.

Blue' date=' that's for Les Paul backs. I'm guessing it applies to the slab of mahogany before it's cut into the LP shape. (I also think this was disused here once a long, long time ago)

Neo, my PG's frets are about 60 - 70% the height of regular historic frets. Same width but super low.[/quote']

Maybe I didnt word it properly. I know its just the Mahogany weight (8 Lbs or less)

Im saying if mine is 9.1Lbs total, the back of the guitar must have been about 7.5 or less.

The maple tops are heavy and add to that the weight of the hardware.

Archived