Gibson Brands Forums

How to kill a classic Rock song...

daveinspain

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well...yeah, it was bad.

I haven't listened to Slayer for a good, long while--but when I was thirteen I thought they were real hot sh*t.

I have to admit that I have a certain degree of respect for 'em, and that I used to be a big fan of sorts--I have most of their stuff on CD, except for the most recent one and that one live album they did back in the 1980s.

This...well, it's a bad cover. I'm sorry, they did do some really good stuff, but I'm not that loyal--not to the point where I'll deny a clam when I hear one.

I did not think it was awful, but it does leave a bad taste in your mouth. I don't mind Slayer, it's not my scene, but I can deal with listening to it every now and then.

I have seen MUCH worse covers than that.

Well' date=' it's arguably NOT a classic, but it IS butchered:

[/quote']

Well it's still relatively popular obviously and it came out 17 years before I was born, classic may have been too strong of a term to use.

Edit: Well was going to say nice Soundgarden throwback, until it got about 15 seconds in. Wow.

Well it's still relatively popular obviously and it came out 17 years before I was born' date=' classic may have been too strong of a term to use.

Edit: Nice Soundgarden throwback![/quote']

You were born 17 years after "Black Hole Sun" came out? Are you typing from the womb?

"Born to be Wild" is undoubtedly a classic.

You were born 17 years after "Black Hole Sun" came out? Are you typing from the womb?

"Born to be Wild" is undoubtedly a classic.

Thought you were speaking of Born to Be Wild, overlooked the colon at the end of your statement. I do remember seeing Black Hole Sun on MTV when I was little - back when MTV had music.

Wheres your band?

Come on i wana see somoene beat this.

Where are your gold records guy?

Aw come on?

Really?

My new band and I are working on recording a song we have put together. I'll post it when we're done. It will obviously come down to personal taste and I'm sure you'll prefer Slayer.

We're not Slayer nor do we want to be.

Are we comparing Slayer in general or just this horrible performance? Personally I'm just bashing this performance. Obviously you love Slayer.

Do you have any records you want to bust out? Nobody has ever heard you play but from what you say I'm assuming you're the shred-master...

My new band and I are working on recording a song we have put together. I'll post it when we're done. It will obviously come down to personal taste and I'm sure you'll prefer Slayer.

We're not Slayer nor do we want to be.

Are we comparing Slayer in general or just this horrible performance? Personally I'm just bashing this performance. Obviously you love Slayer.

Do you have any records you want to bust out? Nobody has ever heard you play but from what you say I'm assuming you're the shred-master...

Yes

The names Page...Jimmy Page. [cool]

Never liked that song[-(

"I like smoke and lightning

Heavy metal thunder

Racin' with the wind."

Sounds like something Poison would write[biggrin]

I guess you never saw Easy Rider.... or owned a Harley.... Not that there is anything wrong with that...[cool]

In a way I considered the song kinda an "end of an era" sorta thing.

I can't remember anything much later that had the B3/Leslie sound like Steppenwolf still did on this one and some others.

It's also kind of an era-defining sorta thing. "We" were largely discovering "we" had to give up on our escapes and get down to the sort of normalcy that comes from relationships, funding children instead of necessarily guitar and in some cases, other habits...

It was part of the times. Whether you were a biker or a banker, it was something to identify with for the time.

<sigh>

But it's also one that seemed to sound better on recorded versions, as did many from that general time period.

m

I guess you never saw Easy Rider.... or owned a Harley.... Not that there is anything wrong with that...[cool]

Been there and done it....... I prefer Drag Racing rather than farting down some highway on two wheels.

Been there and done it....... I prefer Drag Racing rather than farting down some highway on two wheels.

Today's youth...#-o Drag racing...:-s Been there done that... Wind in your face and enjoy the scenery!![cool] Although there is nothing like a good exceleration rush.

Archived