Gibson Brands Forums

How to kill a classic Rock song...

daveinspain

"I like smoke and lightning

Heavy metal thunder

Racin' with the wind."

Remember, those guys were Germans.

Their grasp of the English language was a bit slippery, then they'd get loaded and use "artistic license"...

Same with some of the Scorpions stuff, their words were a little... odd.... at times.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Today's youth...#-o Drag racing...#-o Been there done that... Wind in your face and enjoy the scenery!![cool] Although there is nothing like a good exceleration rush.

I did the Harley thing back in the 80's

Running 8.70's @ 172 mph with a 1.29 60FT in the 1/4 mile trumps just about anything in regards to adrenaline rush[biggrin] .... It's Mano E Mano....... just you and the other guy.:-s

dem00n, what the hell is this?

This is acutal one of the first heavy metal songs in exstience.

Thus where they got the word heavy metal.

Actual - ac·tu·al [ak-choo-uhl]

–adjective

1. existing in act or fact; real: an actual case of heroism; actual expenses.

2. existing now; present; current: The ship's actual position is 22 miles due east of Miami.

Actually - ac·tu·al·ly [ak-choo-uh-lee]

–adverb

as an actual or existing fact; really.

acutal - no dictionary results

No results found for acutal:

Did you mean actual?

Dictionary:

Scutal

acaudal

acuta

acutely

ectal

ictal

octal

actually

acetal

acquittal

actuals

Actalk

Arcual

curtal

acral

dem00n' date=' what the hell is this?

ac·tu·al [ak-choo-uhl]

–adjective

1. existing in act or fact; real: an actual case of heroism; actual expenses.

2. existing now; present; current: The ship's actual position is 22 miles due east of Miami.

ac·tu·al·ly [ak-choo-uh-lee]

–adverb

as an actual or existing fact; really.

acutal - no dictionary results

No results found for acutal:

Did you mean actual?

Dictionary:

Scutal

acaudal

acuta

acutely

ectal

ictal

octal

actually

acetal

acquittal

actuals

Actalk

Arcual

curtal

acral

[cool]

Im killing you guys arent i?

Ive gotten PM's about this to.

I started riding Harleys as a kid, as did my little sis. Dad was getting his Harley dealership going in the early 1950s.

We were riding the little ones, Dad was doing stuff like riding down main street standing up on the seat. A friend of his, Putt Mossman, was a stunt rider who did some shows for him. Putt was an early "Evel Knievel" type who did bike stuff incredible for the time. I was just a kid, what did I know. <grin> I just thought he was a rider who was a friend of my Dad.

After Dad put all that away to go to college and then grad school, the bikes were a footnote, although I still have a license but no bike. My little brother still raced until a cupla years ago. Too young to be brought up in the shop or on the saddle, he made up for it, plus, both as a rider and mechanic.

No drag racing either.

But... an Austin Healey 3000 could have the windshield removed for much of the same feeling. <grin> It was low enough you actually could drive under a semi and fast enough to pass a vette on a corner drifting all four tires, and then pop the electric overdrive to calm the straight pipes into a burble. Not that I'd ever think of doing anything like that stuff, of course.

Ah, youth...

m

I've raced at E Town and a few other places. I took my 3.4 ltr Camaro with 160hp from the factory and did a good bit of engine work and built it up to 290HP for a 14.1 1/4 mile at 99mph with no power adders like a super or N2O. Although N20 was later added I havent been back to the track. They have one here but no runs yet and I took the bottle out so my daughter didn't get any ideas. And before any one asks I like taking a 6 cyl and getting as much hp as possible.

It's all about weight' date=' suspension, traction and driver.[biggrin

You can have all the rwhp in the world, but if you cant hook-up and keep it straight....well.....

12.90's @ 105 in a 4,000 pound 1983 Chevy shortbed.

Consistent as hell, all day long.

Just step on the gas as the light tree turned green.

Not too tough, but it was emissions legal, catalytic converters, with A/C and cruise control.

468" big block Chevy >> 700R-4 with lockup converter >> GM 12-bolt with 3.73's and an Auburn limited slip.

Daily driver, grocery getter, and not very loud.

64% of the weight was on the front tires.

Mustangs, Camaros couldn't get anywhere near it.

Tire killing MFer too - John Force had nothing on ol' Neo doing a burnout....

:-)

If it didn't spin on slicks, it would run hard.

But once it broke traction, just drive down the track and get off.

Acutal [biggrin]...I like Blue Cheer's "Summertime Blues"--I feel that, at the very least, it's a creative interpretation which, while it can't match up to the original, is in its own right something special and interesting. I won't, however, try to defend it based on the merits of the artist--even the best can create works that flat-out "stink."

What bugs me is how darn seriously the Slayer fans take the band--they take them more seriously than the band itself seems to. And the idea that artists with a historically good body of work can do no wrong is purely backwards and indefensible. It's just that a lot of those "turds" generally don't get heard because the artists seem to recognize how lousy their worst works are...

I guess I'm not really asking you to defend your opinion unless you'd really like to, dem00n. There's nothing wrong with you liking it--the defense that "Slayer's great so everything they do is perfect" doesn't sit well with me, but I won't stop you from enjoying their cover/reinterpretation/annihilation of a classic. It doesn't hurt me if you like it, honestly.

This is kinda of an odd one.

I've heard The Cult do this one live and it sounded good enough.

But this is the studio cut from their album Electric' date=' and it sucks *** on an otherwise great album.

Usually the studio version is okay, and the live version is weak.

Don't worry about the ad in the first few seconds, the song is coming....

[/quote']

I don't mind that one, but then I've always been an Ian Astbury fan. He does go a little *off* at times on this recording tho' [biggrin]

You might not like the tune but the crowds do; so ya gotta play it. Just add your own spin to it; just don't sound like these arzwipes when they did it.

The reason I stumbled across that really bad video in the first place is cause I want to learn the tune for a Bike rally we might play at...

Dave...

I'm only 30 miles from the Sturgis rally. A lotta bike traffic here, too.

Given the age of riders seen here, Born to be wild is a good piece to do. Steppenwolf has played at the Buffalo Chip Campground near Sturgis. Full Throttle Saloon has had some 70s-80s bands be pretty successful. The saloon has been on TV with some of their stuff. I shot 3-400 frames there one afternoon...

Even the younger bands seem to be more successful with the more hard-edged stuff from late 60s and 70s.

m

Archived